“Location exceptional”

Hotel Baia
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Cascais
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel is situated in middle of old town overlooking Marina and beach. Room was not large but sufficient for purpose clean and fresh towels every day with bed linen changed frequently. Rooms to front have balconies as do first floor rooms at tear but they have no view. Feature is roof terrace which gives panoramic views of coast. There is also a pool although this is in a covered area. There is a buffet breakfast and my only complaint would be that it was not always replenished very quickly as items ran out. Although we were a golfing party would consider this for family holiday.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
JoaoCoruche, General Manager at Hotel Baia, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, wether with your family or golfing buddies...

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Hotel Baia is very clean and excellently located and I woke up each day to such amazing view and sounds of the ocean. There are great cafes and restaurants all around and along the promenade where you can stroll to Estoril and beyond.

Where I deduct a few points relate to the lack of what I consider a few basics like a kettle, fridge and toiletries in the room and watch out for the cords from the maids' vacuum cleaners across the hallways. However I would not hesitate to stay again or to recommend Hotel Baia.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Petra_360_
JoaoCoruche, Gerente geral at Hotel Baia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm afraid we do not have kettles or minibars in the rooms but we offer room service from 8 am to midnight. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

It's the location that makes the Baia -- , next to the town's picturesque main square directly facing golden sands across a quiet road, with fishing boats bobbing around in the sea beyond. A sea-facing room is essential. All have balconies to be enjoyed and sitting out in the sun watching the world go by is entertainment in itself. There's a pleasant street level terrace facing the beach for drinks, snacks and meals, too. And on the roof another terrace area and small swimming pool. Rooms are smallish but adequate; bathrooms ditto, and there aren't many frills. But that's not why you'd stay here. Staff are friendly and helpful; breakfast has a good hot and cold selection; the end of week lunch and dinner buffet is recommended. Free wi-fi is provided on the ground floor and there is plenty of comfortable seating in which to use it. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Ensure sea-facing room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David W
JoaoCoruche, Gerente geral at Hotel Baia, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you very much for your review! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

All the best from the staff at Hotel Baia

Reviewed 6 March 2014

To be fair in my review I have to say this is not our kind of hotel, but we knew we were booking something not entirely to our liking. Our style is modern hotels with straight lines and light colours, but this could appeal to many who may find it has more charm and character this way.

We picked this hotel because we needed to be in the area, and at 50€ with breakfast included,it's hard to beat. Plus, this was the location in town we wanted.

Room 402 was one of the most unimpressive hotel rooms we've ever stayed in. It smelt old and looked old. The red wall, dark wood and floral drapes made it a little too creepy for me. The bathroom, however, was very modern, so I assume that there are perhaps some plans to renovate rooms as well. If you want to use the safe, you have to rent it. There was no mini-bar in the room either.

We tried to change rooms in the afternoon, hours after we arrived, but when I asked how much it'd be the receptionist made it sound like it'd be a bother, scratched his head, asked if we'd already used the room (yes, we'd used the bathroom and our bags were there) and it didn't look possible because of the rate we paid, but maybe the following day we could - as the object of our trip was not a cheerful theme I was in no mood to insist and let it be. Their loss. The hotel did not seem busy at all.

As someone with some experience in the tourism business when in doubt one should always tell the client "let me look into it for you and see what can be done. I'll get back to you asap." This way the client feels they care and the staff can have a think to see how they can address the issue (even if it's a "no").

Pick a room facing the Cascais bay and you should be fine. I think the décor is pretty much the same, but having a balcony surely must help. The breakfast is very unimpressive. English breakfast was very greasy and best avoided, best stick with the continental alternative.

Wi-fi is only available in public areas. Receptionists tend to discuss all kind of themes about their lives out loud, which can be interesting, depending on point of view and whether you speak Portuguese.

You get what you pay for and I am firm believer in this at all times, so I can't complain, only relay my experience.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a balcony facing the sea.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greenlady77
JoaoCoruche, General Manager at Hotel Baia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that our style does not appeal to you but we are not, and don't pretend to be a Design Hotel. We are a superior 3 Star Hotel with a priviledged location in the centre of Cascais opposite the beach. Despite our 50 years of existence we invest in our property every year (hence the new bathrooms) so as to be able to offer a a quality product at a competitive rate. We are all about value for money! At breakfast we offer a variety of bread and cold meats and cheese, fresh fruit, yogurt and cereals as well as hot buffet including bacon, eggs, saussages, tomatoes or mushrooms, etc.We do not have mini bars but we offer room service and wifi is only available (Free of charge) in the communal areas of the hotel for the time being. We thatnk you for staying with us and sharing your experience.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Hotel Baia is situated on the sea front near to the old harbour, probably the best location in Cascais. It is also convenient for all the old town facilities and restaurants. There were few guests when we visited in February 2014 but no doubt in high season the hotel can be crowded.
We booked a sea view room and requested and were given the top floor from which we had excellent views from the terrace. The room was fairly compact but well equipped and maintained, with efficient air conditioning. The bathroom was small but adequate-the (unnecessary) provision of a bidet meant that the toilet was cramped and awkward near the washbasin. It would have been useful to have had a kettle for tea/coffee making in the room. The public areas of the hotel were modern and well equipped, including a small TV room and library which offered a range of novels in English.
With so few guests, the hot breakfasts were cooked to order. We had a huge serving of scrambled eggs, bacon and mushroom which was very well cooked and presented. The cold buffet was a bit limited with only one choice of cooked meat and cheese to accompany the usual cereals, fruit juice, breads and hot drinks. As normal in Portugal, there was a choice of sweet pastries and croissants available.
We enjoyed the covered, heated, swimming pool located at the top of the hotel. As well as swimming, this provided excellent views of the surrounding areas. Towels were provided at the pool for hotel guests.
The hotel is an easy 5 minutes walk from the station and a shopping centre, with supermarkets including a large “ O Jumbo” hypermarket nearby. All Cascais attractions, including the impressive “Boca do Inferno” are within walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: It is worth paying extra for rooms with a sea view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WorcesterLinda
JoaoCoruche, Gerente geral at Hotel Baia, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Once again we were lucky to stay here while the world closed down for Xmas and the New Year.
A pleasure to see familiar and help;ful staff throughout the hotel, and to enjoy 5 star service in what is listed as a 3 star hotel. You could sleep, eat and drink pleasurably throughout your stay, and generous breakfasts and excellent dinners are availabble, but the variety of excellent restaurants within 5 minutes walk or less should not be missed.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms overlook the bay and are certainly worth reserving !
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dubliner21
JoaoCoruche, Gerente geral at Hotel Baia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is my third visit to the Hotel Baia in Cascais. Each time I have spent the week from December 24th to December 31st at the hotel and as usual I found it a very pleasant experience. I had a seaview room with balcony as last year and it proved a fine choice. The rooms are well appointed and when the weather is good the balcony gives you in effect an extra room.

As usual the hotel provides excellent service. I had problems with my airline, who managed to lose my case for the first half of the holiday. the reception staff took on the job of contacting the airport and pressing the Lisbon company to get British Airways to sort out the problem.

The catering was of its usual high standard, with a very large breakfast included in the price of the room. I do not eat large breakfasts but the wide range of hot and cold options I am sure could have led me up for the rest of the day.

I tended to use the restaurant for my evening meal and was very pleased with the range of fresh fish dishes throughout the week at prices which were reasonable. the restaurant also provides lunches and snacks through the day

My satisfaction with this hotel has not diminished from my previous review, and I hope to be spending ther same week again with the hotel in 2014

Room Tip: I prefer the seaview rooms which have a balcony, I feel it gives you an extra room, though these are...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 1ToGo1

Thank you veru much for your review! We look forward to seeing you again next year!