“Great location in beautiful Cascais” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Baia
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Cascais
GreenLeadersGold level
Kildare, Ireland
“Great location in beautiful Cascais”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful 2-week holiday in Cascais. We stayed in the Hotel Baia and were delighted with our choice of accommodation. The hotel location is the best in Cascais and is right in the centre of all that Cascais has to offer (beaches, shops, restaurants, bus, train etc...)

We really enjoyed this hotel and found it to be one of the cleanest hotels we have ever stayed in. The housekeeping was wonderful and our sheets and towels were changed daily. The housekeeping staff were very attentive and made sure that we had everything we needed.

The reception staff in the hotel are very friendly and are always willing to offer tips and advice to enhance your stay in Cascais. We stayed on a B & B basis and it was perfect. The breakfast is very good with a fine selection of hot and cold foods, breads, yoghurts and pastries. Breakfast finishes at 10 but the staff are so relaxed and amenable that they have no problem with you sitting over your breakfast for those extra few minutes (nobody rushes you out the door).

Yes the hotel has no wifi in the rooms but we did not find that to be a problem. One of the perks of going on holidays is that you don't need to be stuck to your phone/internet. There is very good wifi in the lobby and that, in my opinion is sufficient.

The pool and pool bar are very nice. The views from the top floor deck are beautiful and the couches are great for chilling out in the sun. I would however recommend that the hotel purchase more sunbeds or stops people from reserving loungers with towels. In our whole 2-week stay we never managed to get a sun lounger! That didn't really bother us as the beach is just across the road but some people might not be happy with this.

We brought our own travel kettle with us as we read that there was no kettle in the room. I think that the hotel should invest in kettles and fridges for each room (as part of the ongoing refurbishments) as I feel that these are necessities in a hotel room.

Overall, a fantastic stay in a beautiful hotel. WHEN we return to Cascais we will definitely stay in the Hotel Baia again. It is great value for money and you will not find a hotel in a better location. Keep up the good work and thanks for the bottle of Sparkling Wine (as a gesture for our wedding anniversary).

Room Tip: Request a Sea facing room (preferably on first floor - newly refurbished, or 3/4th floor)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
2 Thank DomT18
JoaoCoruche, Gerente geral at Hotel Baia, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you very much for review. I'm sure many people will find it usefull. Just for reference, we are planning to make wi-fi available in the rooms soon. Also we do not allow people to "reserve" sun loungers. This is something that has just recently started happening and staff have been instructed to remove the towels and keep them safely in the bar area until the guests return, when this happens. A few more sunloungers have also been ordered. Anyway, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please check out our website for special promotions or feel free to contact us directly. Many thanks!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Finnish first
Raleigh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Place was clean, view was beautiful, rooms were okay, breakfast was pretty good, but you had to go out to the lobby to get your WiFi. That's terrible. And there was no refrigerator in the rooms. When I asked for ice, they wanted 3 Euros for a small bucket. I have never been in a hotel where ice isn't free. So I went outside and around the corner where a nice restaurant (which I knew the name... the first large restaurant on the right... gave me ice for free.

Here's a youtube I took of my room (and view of balcony):

Hotel was very large. Tiny elevator.

ROOMS: I only saw the insides of two rooms. I had a balcony that looked out to the water. Room was small. I was surprised that my friend's room (who we traveled with) was huge, but had no view to speak of.

BREAKFAST: Buffet. Pretty nice, but the eggs were murky, and tasted like dirty laundry to me, but I think this was cultural. I never had baked beans for breakfast, and actually, I liked it! They offered a lot.

LOCATION: Excellent. Right against the water. Literally a 3-minute walk to all the restaurants.

STAFF: One guy was super friendly. The rest were kind of cold. This surprised me, because I found all the store-owners and restaurant staff super friendly. I grew to love the Portuguese people during my stay here!

BALCONY: tiny. It's a tight squeeze for 3 people to sit and have wine. You have to awkwardly do yoga to squeeze out of the balcony door with 3 people. Four? Forget it.

BED SHEETS: I always do this at hotels... I put a little tiny dot on the corner of my sheet in magic marker. It's such a small dot that it's barely detectible. They do NOT wash the sheets here at this hotel!

TAXI: There's this one taxi guy they always get. He means well, but he won't shut up, and he really needs to take a course in listening. He gives you a tour. Again, he means well, but if you ask questions, he ignores you / interrupts you (if you're female) and just keeps talking. He may answer you half the time if you're male. Looking back, it was kind of funny.

NOISE: I didn't hear anyone else thru the walls. So the rooms stayed nice and quiet.

WIFI: The fact that they advertise free WiFi but don't offer it in the rooms is almost unforgivable. I love to do my email from my room. There was barely couch space in the lobby because everyone was checking their email there. This was a huge negative point of this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
3 Thank JodyPony
Thank you for your review. I am sorry we do not have fridges in the rooms but we are not an apartment-hotel. We do however, offer room service with very affordable prices for refreshments and snacks (beer: €2, Bottle of wine: €7, etc.) We are planning on making wi-fi available in all the rooms soon. We do NOT falsely advertise wi-fi in rooms anywhere! We do offer free wi-fi in all comunal areas along the ground floor, from the (spacious) lobby all along the sea front terrace, bar, etc. Bedsheets and towels are changed every other day for long stays and daily if necessary. As a certified EcoHotel we keep the environment in mind but cleanliness and higene are taken very seriously by all our staff.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Staying here at the moment.
Last night tonight and we really enjoyed our stay.
Fantastic hotel with excellent service in 5 star beautiful location.
Could not fault this at all.
Would definitely come back.
Towels and room done every day.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denise C
JoaoCoruche, Gerente geral at Hotel Baia, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please check out our website for special offers next time you come!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

12 months to the week we returned to the Baia. There is a great comfort in returning to the same town as you know where everything is. The ladies who reserved me the day's Irish Independent in the Tabaceria remembered me as did Bruno in O Poeta. Andre in the Palm Tree is multilingual and a font of knowledge. We ate in Lucullus on 3 nights because the food is very good but the service was far from enthusiatic. They also only accept cash. O Neill's now show GAA matches but O'Luains has a better atmosphere. We thought we had seen most of Cascais last year but discovered many more little treasures like the municpal park and the Baco de Inferno which is worth the walk. We also went into the Marina this time to discover another cluster of intetesting shops and restaurants/cafes. Ordinary shopping like water soft drinks etc are considerably cheaper than in Ireland. Cascais is so clean...very little litter or dog poop. You can walk along the prom from Cascais to Estoril but unless you are interested in the biggest Casino in Europe it wont be long before you start the return journey.

As to the Baia itself we again had a very decent sized room with a view of the beach. There are three bedded suites available but for two our room was fine. The staff ,from Antonio at the desk to the cleaning ladies , could not be nicer or more helpful. As we said last year a little fridge in the room to chill drinks would be welcome . The breakfast is very adequate and there's something for most people's taste. There was an Air Show on while we were there which drew large crowds and an event was being set up outside the hotel as we left. Yet apart from minor exuberance after the world cup games the place was relatively quiet. At times the temperature was 15 degrees less than the equivalent week last year but I, for one, had no complaints with that.
I suggest booking your taxi for the airport through Hotel Baia as they have a set rate. If your driver is Antonio Vieria you are in for a treat. The man is so informative and enterprising. If you want to get married or play golf he's your man. Just make sure he brings you to the correct terminal.
In conclusion the best tribute I can pay the Baia is that I am already looking forward to our third visit there. It cannot come soon enough.

Room Tip: One with a view of the beach is great and one of the 4 suites even better
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank McKennaF
JoaoCoruche, Gerente geral at Hotel Baia, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review. I'm sure many people will find it very usefull. Please check out our website for special promotions before you book your next trip to Cascais or contact me directly! We look forward to welcoming you back again!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had a three night stay at Baia hotel last week..location was fantastic and staff at reception were lovely..had a room that was town facing and a little disappointing..it was clean but could do with a little TLC..the rooftop area is fabulous..relaxing area with fantastic view..def the best reason to stay here...agree with another review to avoid Irish bar next door..staff were miserable ..and drink was expensive..

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Eileen C
Thank you very much for your review. We hope you visit us again soon!
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This property is an unapologetic 3 star that strives to be more. The rooms are simple, clean and just ok. The staff that I've dealt with showed such a wide range of "hospitality", from blasé cold reception (upon check in) to sincere warmth from the poolside cafe folks and friendly woman working upon my checking out. What makes up for the inconsistent service is the roof top pool with it's amazing views and fantastic modern decor - felt more like a 4-5 star hotel. The hotel's location is perfect- close to the beach, summer festivals, as well the city central.
Cascais is a lovely town- extremely clean and well maintained. I felt completely safe walking along with my young children. There are many young people working to promote the city with their "Ask me, I'm local" t-shirts on and most are friendly and gladly help direct you to whatever it is you need or looking for. This hotel & town was a nice break away from high density Lisboa.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
1 Thank SEAtraveler_7
JoaoCoruche, General Manager at Hotel Baia, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We are very sorry for the "inconsistent hospitality" we hope a blasé reception did not put you off the rest of your vacation. This is a matter I will adress imediately! The Hotel Baia is always trying to improve it product and services. For next winter we are already planning the refurbishment of a series of rooms. We hope you will visit us again and see what improvements have been made. Many thanks.
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hotel Baia really is in the best location in town. We booked pretty lastminute and couldn’t get a sea view room so that was a pity but the room we did have overlooked the town and it was nice. It was kept really clean and it was comfortable. The TV in the room had loads of English speaking channels which was nice for when you fancied a rest. I’m not sure if they do double beds in the hotel, I think it’s just the twin beds pushed together. The beds are comfortable though. The air conditioning works great also.
The bathroom was modern with 2 sinks, a good size bath and good shower.

We thought the breakfast was pretty good. We've been to alot of continental hotels and just gotten bread, ham and cheese etc. Hotel Baia had a choice of fresh bread and pastries, lots of fresh fruit, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, beans, yogurts, selection of tea and coffee.

There was a convention on at that week in front of the hotel which meant there were white tents set up right outside with a stage that held 3 concerts that week. It didn’t bother us at all but it was very loud so consider checking these things out if you are a light sleeper or have kids.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and would consider staying here again in the future.

Room Tip: Sea view room with balcony
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Travel85Dublin
Thank you very much for your review. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Please check out our website for special offers and promotions.