All reviews on the rocks design hotel sushi restaurant designer room mix restaurant pool area stunning location nespresso machine pillow menu sea view pool service corner room long weekend boca do inferno ocean front short stroll standard room
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Farol Design Hotel. We had a very nice time, as the location, views and overall experience are excellent. Staff were all extremely helpful and generally had excellent English which was a welcome surprise. The hotel is just a 10 minute stroll (and I mean stroll - could be quicker if necessary) from the town of Cascais which itself is lovely.
Upon arrival, check in was immediate and pain free, We were then given a guided tour of the hotel while our bags were taken to our room.
We spent nearly the entirety of our first day lazing by the pool, which was unusual for us both, but it was so lovely. We ordered drinks and snacks while we read and generally lounged and were extremely relaxed and well taken care of.
The only reasons I cannot give the full 5 points are that the Farol markets itself as a 5* design hotel and I have a few issues with this. While excellent over all, and there were some things that let it down. As other guests had noted, the bathrooms let the place down. Mostly the hotel looks almost brand new, however the bathrooms are notably dated. Also, hair dryers (built in to said bathroom) are abysmal, which would be such an easy thing to get right.
Also, we ate at the hotel five times (mostly lunch, but with one dinner in The Mix) and I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the food overall. Obviously it wasn't terrible as otherwise we wouldn't have continued to eat there, but it was mostly out of convenience (ie we didn't wish to leave the pool!). The selection was a bit lacking and I bit disappointing for a 5* hotel. Also, when we dined in the restaurant, we noticed that some items from the bar menu we're also on the restaurant menu which was also a bit limiting. My main peeve was that we were charged €8 essentially for a slice of bread each with some olive oil for dipping. As is standard in Portugal, some cheese was brought to the table, but we didn't touch it, but by virtue of having the bread, apparently that meant we were charged for the lot! A minor detail admittedly, but on principle, it didn't leave a good impression. Breakfast, which was included in our rate, again was mostly fine, but without being 5*. For example, I was served a waffles that were rock hard on one occasion, and there was not enough selection for those staying more than a couple of nights not to get bored with what was on offer.
Over all, we would definitely stay here again, but would not bother having dinner in the restaurant as there is better food in the town for a more reasonable price. Aside from the food, the hotel was otherwise lovely, and staff could not have been nicer so I would recommend it.

Room Tip: We didnt pay the extra for the sea views, but our room was lovely nonetheless (although not very "design"ish!) As we were on the ground floor we had an amazing outside space, almost like a mini garden, which you could see the sea from.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sarah h
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed at this boutique hotel for a a short visit. Its a wonderful and relaxing place. The staff are friendly and helpful. The food is excellent. The location is breathtaking. Everything about this place is perfection. I will be going back again. Enjoy your visit too!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel is at a beautiful location overlooking the Ocean in the nice town of Cascais, Portugal. It has a lovely pool area and feels more like a house than a hotel.

It is billed as a design hotel and the prices are accordingly high. However, I find the rooms to be "designy", but not particularly comfortable due to often odd layouts of the rooms and badly designed bathrooms. Having stayed a few times at this hotel, I also find that there are big differences between the different rooms. There is no gym and not much else to do at the hotel apart from being next to the pool or sitting in the common area.

It is probably a matter of personal preference, but I would not choose to stay at this hotel as it has very little to offer me and charges too much for the priviledge of being a design hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank JWanderers
Reviewed 31 August 2013

This hotel looks perfect on the outside: the pool, the common areas, the breakfast room etc. BUT this hotel is poorly managed. No one really knows anything and you get a different answer from a different staff member. It seems that there is no information flowing.
We were given the wrong room in arrival and in the beginning it seemed it won't be changed or that we have to wait until the next day but then all of a sudden it was changed on the arrival evening.
The breakfast first seemed very poor although the view is nice but you have to order a lot (etc. boiled eggs). After we realized the ordering system we were satisfied with it.
The hotel rents bikes at a price of 10euros but the bikes are awful, they should buy new cruiser bikes that are more suitable for tourists, no one needs a mountain bike there. Also I think the bikes should be free of charge for the hotel guests.
We ate lunch once at the hotel restaurant and I can't say it was good. I had a caesar salad and it was the smallest and saddest I've ever had. Also it took forever to make. You will walk to the center and back in that time.
Cascais is beautiful and the hotel's location could not be any better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ElisaHon
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Exellent location waterfront, Nice breakfeast, perfect service. Good cocktails. The hotel was kind to provide a bottle of cava and strawberries in chocolate to our room free of charge, when they realised we celebrated my girlfriends birthday.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple