“Fantastic drinks in the ocean view bar” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Farol Hotel

Farol Hotel
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Cascais
Calgary, Alberta
“Fantastic drinks in the ocean view bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a beautiful little boutique hotel right beside the ocean (near the marina) in Cascais. We didn’t stay here and so cannot comment on the rooms. However, while walking by, my wife thought the property looked nice and so we thought we’d stop in for a drink. Little did we know that the drinks, view, and service would be so good that one drink would turn into many. :-) Our waiter/bartender, Riccardo, was the best part of the experience. He was extremely friendly, professional, efficient, and knowledgeable. The bar has a great gin and tonic menu with specialty gins, tonics, and extra ingredients. The beefeater 24 (Beefeater 24, 1724 tonic, fresh ginger, and honey) was delicious and refreshing, as was the Gin Mare with fever tree tonic, mint, and red currents (which Riccardo made off the menu). Also, upon learning that this was our first trip to Portugal and only our second night in the country, Riccardo made a special point of introducing us to some port wine styles and ages. We really had an unexpectedly fun and remarkable few hours at the Farol.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear TexArcanada,

Thank you sharing your comments regarding your visit at the Farol Hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon to provide you with more special moments!

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Lisbon, Portugal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I delayed few days to write this review as I did not want to add too much emotions regarding this terrible visit as my wife and I were very upset.
During our last visit to Portugal we ate at the restaurant of this hotel. From the restaurant and the pool area we could see the rooms, with nice terraces, facing the ocean that looked great and decided to stay one week end at this hotel in our next visit to Portugal.
So, we did and booked a room with an ocean view for 385€ per night, as we could not get a suite. We arrived on Friday a little after 2PM. Our room was not ready so we had lunch at the restaurant. Food was OK so as the service but champagne was warm.
After lunch we were taken to the BASEMENT to a very small room #104 facing some rocks where 30 m away there were some youngsters preparing a picnic. I rejected the room.
Tiago at the front desk said he was sorry but the only other room was on the 3rd floor. This one room 304 has a small window to the ocean. The room requires refurbishing has cheap furniture, cheap linings, terrible green décor. We also refused it. We came down saying that the room was not OK and not meeting the pictures on their site so, if not a good, clean and reasonably maintained ocean view room available we would leave.
Tiago was clear they would be charging me €770 anyway regardless if we would stay or not. Well, they did take a copy of my credit card and driving license on check in.

WE LEFT.
Needless to say that on such a sunny long week end in Cascais we could not find another hotel and were forced to drive back and stay in Lisbon. RUINED OUR WEEK END.

Credit card company was notified today by our company controller to refuse the €770 charge for the room already debited and of course accepted the €137 for the lunch charge.

WARNING: For what I have seen about 50% of the rooms in this hotel are in the basement or in level 3. The nice pictures on the site were taken on the new construction (presumably rooms starting with number 2, and do not reflect the reality of most of the rooms. If you do accept a basement room (starts with 1, and push -1 in the elevator), be prepared not only for a tiny room but with people staring at you from 30 m away and to have no privacy as adjacent rooms outside areas are simply divided by a small canvas.
On Monday Design Hotels where I made the booking sent me an email saying I would be contacted by the managing director in Portugal. Never happened.
Hotel is unsafe for children, especially if you stay in the basement rooms
I will keep tripadvisor posted on the development of this unfortunate event.

Room Tip: The only real ocean view rooms are on the first floor over the common areas. Reject the basement roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank 47carlosm
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We just spent five nights at this amazing hotel. We first stayed in 2006 and again in 2007 and it had been on the to do list again for a while, so finally we got there this year!
We requested a room with terrace and sea view and it was just Wow! Calming white and grey decor, large bathroom, lovely terrace with a view overlooking the sea with just a small strip of garden separating the terrace from the rocks below and the soothing sound of the waves breaking.
The general areas of this hotel are where you will find the designer touches, around nearly every corner there is something quirky to catch the eye. I reckon these areas are re done regularly as in the 3 times we have been here colour schemes and artworks have been different.
The bar is a lovely relaxing and comfortable space, serving a mean gin & tonic, perfect for a pre and post dinner drink.
We had dinner at 'The Mix' Restaurant on 2 occasions, it would be at the higher end of the price scale for Cascais, but worth every cent. The food is just amazing, the views over the sea sublime and the addition of a glass partition since we last stayed makes it possible to sit right out on the edge of the terrace when the weather is a bit cool for eating outside.
The pool area is lovely, comfortable sun loungers, towel service, bar and snack service, sea views, cool tunes emanating from the speakers dotted around the garden, set at just the right volume to make it just background music and not belting out europop!
This is a very special hotel, definitely an adults only destination as I think children would find little to amuse here. It oozes cool, calm and sophistication and it is certainly my piece of heaven by the sea.
We will definitely be back for visit number 4 in the future.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you sharing your comments regarding your stay at the Farol Hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you for the 4th time to provide you with more special moments!

Ericeira, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I atended a friend's wedding at this hotel and had a terrible experience. I couldn't bellieve the bad attitude of Tiago the event planner towards the groms requests... This supose to be a 5 star hotel where you pay good money, therefore you should be treated accordingly!! This is a hospitality not hostility service... you should hire staff that is up to a 5 star service, clearly Mr. Tiago is not up for it... he was very rude and not acomodating at all.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Luis F
Dear Mr. Luis F,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding to your visit to our hotel. As soon as your feedback was received, the situation was immediately investigated within our team.
I have also spoken with the couple who got married in our hotel and they are extremely satisfied and gave us a wonderful feedback. I am proud to say that it has been a huge success, and I deeply regret that you as a guest do not feel the same.

Tiago, our Events Coordinator organizes several events, and the feedback is always highly positive, which makes us very proud of his work.

Hoping that your opinion of the Farol Hotel is not diminished, I would be very pleased to be given the opportunity to personally welcome you back again soon.

Ana Maria Tavares
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights, just out of season, we arrived in the evening and were not that fond of our room as there was no terrace or balcony (I am a smoker). We were told that we could move in the morning, to leave our cases and they would do the rest - they did! No questions asked, I am sure we were given a better room too as we had sea view garden room!
The location is perfect, right on the waters edge, lots of space to hang out during the day by the pool, cool staff, all very friendly and accommodating.
The food is amazing, best breakfast in Europe so far! Sushi - perfect! Having such great restaurants, you would think the staff would not recommend places outside, but they do, and they know where to go!!
I would recommend this place to anyone wanting to chill for a few days!

Room Tip: The lower floors are good, the garden rooms are great!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Dear guest,

Thank you sharing your comments regarding your stay at the Farol Hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon to provide you with more special moments!

Cascais, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We are residents of Cascais and have been regularly taking our foreign visitors to the Farol Design Hotel for a coffee or a drink. The location on the water is absolutely stunning and it used to be a very special "5-star-place".
I never stayed as a guest overnight - therefore I cannot rate the rooms. But I´ve been to a wedding dinner, a few cocktail business events and - as mentioned above - quite regularly for coffee or a drink.
With great regret I have been observing over the past 2 years that the former standard and quality is deteriorating constantly. Yesterday I had a coffee again with 2 guests from Germany and that was definitely the last time!! These are some of the reasons:
- The staff is friendly but it usually takes a long time until you are being served. Last time I got my Espresso but the cake which I ordered at the same time was served about 10 minutes later without any explanation.
- The menu was in a condition as you would expect in a seedy pub: dirty, wrinkled and torn on some edges. My guests couldn´t believe it. They mentioned they felt like disinfecting their hands after having touched it.
- Next to our seat we found several shards of glass.
- The upholstery of the seating on the terrace was dripping - so we had wet trousers in the end. It obviously had soaked some of the rain the day before which means it is the wrong material.
- A few times we had a cocktail. Each time the Caipirinha was very bad (wrong mixture, no taste).
- At the business event we waited endlessly for the canapes. When they were eventually served they offered 2 small plates for about 60 people and then disappeared again for a long time (the quality of the canapes was excellent.). We asked several times for more but it took ages and again wasn´t enough. Quite a few people didn´t even manage to get a single canape. The atmosphere at the event was thus very bad.
- I have seen the staff eating behind the reception desk !!

There have been more examples but I don´t want to list them all. Don´t get me wrong: I am not one of these fussy persons who love to criticize all the time. But if it happens repeatedly and if you claim to be a very special place with a 5-star-ranking I think it should be mentioned. I have been working in the hospitality industry myself for 20 years - also for Lufthansa in the training section for the First Class service - so I know what I am talking about.

I still rate 2 stars for the beautiful location on the water, the view and the interior design in the restaurant and the bar. And I sincerely hope I´ll be able to rate again 5 stars in the future. In the meantime I will take my visitors the various other wonderful hotels in the Cascais area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank SO2002
Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your visit to our hotel. We have looked into every comment and have addressed your points one by one.

We have hosted several successful events in our hotel, therefore it is difficult to pinpoint the exact event, please let us know the exact day of the event you mention, so we can investigate the issues in more detail with our team.

We are very proud of our beautiful five star hotel, and of our team, we leave no stone unturned to ensure that we do all possible to meet our in house guests as well as outside guests expectations. We are sorry that we have in this instance failed to meet or even come close to your expectations.

We would be delighted to be given the opportunity to welcome you back again and assure you that we will strive to make your next visit to be a memorable one. Please be so kind to contact me on pa@farol.com.pt.

Ana Maria Tavares
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is one hotel that put a Big tick mark to the following:
- Great Room
- Brilliant View
- Amazing location
- Great Service
- Manageable Budget

What more could I ask for! I was in this hotel for a week during a business trip recently and just happened to book it by chance, and boy was I impressed!

This hotel is a great recommendation from me for anyone visiting Lisbon/Sintra/Cascais region, and I am sure you will not be disappointed!

Try to get their sea facing balcony view rooms!

Room Tip: Try to get their sea facing balcony view rooms!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business