“Best Sushi EVER”

Ranked #94 of 589 Restaurants in Cascais
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Cuisines: Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in the historic center of Cascais (near the Visconde da Luz Park), 5 minutes from the beach, Sushíssimo offers the best of Japanese and vegetarian cuisine, from traditional to fusion. The chef has 20 years of experience, but continually seeks to innovate and introduce new ingredients. Always a friendly and attentive service is the restaurant's brand image. Sushíssimo is open every day from 12:00 to 00:00, and it features a living room and an exclusive terrace for 60 people. It also offers takeaway and delivery services throughout the day. And it also provides catering services for events.
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I had a sudden craving for Sushi, but I was tired of all the cheap all you can eats I kept going to, and decided I was willing to pay a hefty price for any Sushi that could and would genuinely satisfy my taste buds. So I called up a friend and we went hunting for the best Sushi restaurant we could find.

It was then that we stumbled upon Sushissimo, and I was immediately ensnared by its very modern yet cozy feeling patio and inside dining areas. I quickly got my hands on the menu, and was extremely happy with what I saw, they had a large selection of foods to pick from and prices were more than affordable. At the end of the day though my attention was grabbed with the one thing I had come for, the Sushi.

As we walked in to the restaurant we were immediately greeted by a smiling face and were allocated a table of our choice before you could even say "Sushissimo". Once the menu's were brought to us we immediately started to debate on whether we wanted the 22 unit platter of Sushi, or the 44 unit platter of Sushi, we ended up opting for the 22 unit platter. Although we had come for the Sushi we were also interested in a starter, but had no idea what to pick. So we asked the waitress for her opinion, after asking us a few quick questions, she recommended we have the Salmon Tartar, and we happily agreed to give it a go.

As we were waiting for our food, they surprised us by brining in a very nice mini starter of sliced chilled carrots, to dip in what I assumed to be a mayo + hummus combinantion. This mini starter that I shall now dub 'Carmayus' was not only extremelly satisfying, but it was the perfect thing to have before we started having our meal brought to us, since it was something you could more than happily much on, and not feel as if it were filling you up.

The Salmon Tartar arrived next (of course it would, its a starter!) and I was extremely pleased with the way it was presented, the Salmon Tartar was served on a white shell, that was placed upon a small rectangular plate (beautifully presented) with some wasabi and sliced radish (I assumed it was radish) on either side of it. Regardless of how it looked I was more interested in how it tasted, since I had come for the food. If I was to describe the Salmon Tartar in one word, I would use the word 'divine'.

Half way through our appreciative scavenging of the Salmon Tartar, the Sushi platter arrived. The Sushi was beautifully presented, 4 green, 4 pink, 4 salmon, 4 orange/rice, 4 strawberry, 3 bamboo/prawn. Now I have no idea what went into each of these Sushi pieces, what I do know is that whenever I ate one I felt I was being propelled into flavor/deliciousness heaven. Every-time I finished a piece of Sushi I felt genuinely happy, there was no part of me whatsoever that felt unsatisfied.

If you finish a meal and you feel at peace, happy and calm, you know that you have most definitely had good food. I cannot remember the last time food has ever sent me into such a euphoria of pleasant emotions. I can say with pride that this was most definitely the BEST Sushi I have EVER had the pleasure of eating.

All this plus drinks came to a whooping total of only €31.70. I'm not a frequent tipper, and whenever I do tip it's probably in the region of €0.20-€1.00 but I was so satisfied with Sushissimo that I gave them a much larger tip than normal, and no part of me regretted that decision, not even when I could of used that money for car gas.

Thank you Sushissimo for a wonderful food experience.

7  Thank Rodrigo R

Reviewed 4 August 2013

On a recent trip to Cascais we were walking around and stumbled on Sushissimo. It was a small placed tucked on the side street with a nice outdoor patio and it looked fresh and clean so we sat down.

It did not disappoint. I ordered one of the chef's selections with a few modified requests and what was delivered was a work of art with interesting, fresh and flavorful food.

The service was a bit disjointed but that is only because the server was learning English. Well, my Portuguese is non-existent so I cannot affect their rating for that. She was very friendly and attentive.

If you are in Cascais and looking for gfreat sushi, this is it.

2  Thank CaliforniaBrad
Reviewed 1 August 2013

if you are reading this review and looking for some fresh, delicious food go here!!
this place is amazing, unassuming location where you can sit outside and have a nice dinner.

the fusion foods are really good, we had the seared tuna for an entree which was amazing. the sashimi was melt in your mouth good and even my girlfriend who is usually a bit skeptical with raw fish loved it.

we also got the sushi that had a slither of mango it it which tasted surprisingly good and also got the fusioned salmon wrapped in more salmon with strawberries on top. the fresh fruit and fresh fish mix was so good that we almost booked another night in cascais just to come back.

overall an amazing experience, ignore the reviews about slow service and poor waiters/waitresses, we barely had to wait and as soon as we finished one course the next was on our table, plus the waitress we had spoke great english and helped us decipher the menu.

we paid Euro 60 for 5 platters as well as 2 drinks each. GO HERE you won't regret it

4  Thank scoopah
Reviewed 8 March 2013

And this restaurant has its share of each!
If you're looking for an old fashion and fast servin' sushi joint, this is not the place to go: the chefs are Brazilian and the waitress is slow...
When my dad and I got there it looked very cute and quaint, stylish and clean. Since it was a refreshing day we wanted to be seated outside. When we approached the table we wish, and were being starred at by the brain dead waitress, I asked if she could bring the menu, to which she responded with a crinched up face as if eating outside was a sin.. When we asked for a simple plate of salmon sashimi as an appetizer before the real meal, it took about 10/15 min to get it, even though there was only one more table to serve. And that is just a glimpse of the bad service.
Although I must admit that the fish is fresh and beautifully plated...but not worth the wait, even when you're starving..
They came up with a slightly more "modern" way of preparing the sushi, by using fried ingredients and fruit incorporated into it, so don't expect old-fashion food. I'll finish up by saying that it actually is worth a try, but only if you catch a different waitress than the one I caught (beware of the young waitress named Marisa! - spare yourselves by siting at the bar).

2  Thank Jason289595
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed in Cascais for a few days last July. Went to this restaurant by mistake but had the best sushi ever. And I literally mean the best I've ever tasted. Fresh and exciting, modern, combinations with a traditional touch. Service was little slow but superbly friendly and sympathetic. Will definately recommend this anyone visiting Cascais. Worth a visit even from Lisbon!

5  Thank Aleksiko