“Wonderful views and excellent staff”

Hotel Cascais Miragem
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Cascais
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I travelled with my husband who was there on business. The taxi from Lisbon airport dropped him off at the office first and then took me onto the hotel. I had emailed the hotel in advance to ask for an early check in and they had emailed me back straight away saying that it wouldn't be a problem. On arrival at the hotel I was greeted by the bellhop who took my bags from the taxi driver and the staff on reception were ready with my booking and I checked in without any hitches and was shown to a beautiful mini suite with a gorgeous view of the sea (we had booked and paid for a sea view room).

The room itself was lovely - the door opened into a small dressing/sitting area with wardrobes and there was a door off this to a wonderfully luxurious marble bathroom - full size bath, separate shower (with plenty of hot water and great water pressure) double vanities, toilet and bidet. Plenty of towels and nice soaps/shower gels, etc. Another door from the dressing area went into the large bedroom which consisted of a good sized double bed, two bedside tables, desk with free ethernet connection to the internet, coffee table, sofa, a couple of other side tables and two or three other chairs. The fittings were all of good standard and in good repair and everything was sparkling clean.

Off the bedroom was the terrace with a couple of plastic chairs and a table and a stunning view. The only negative thing about the terrace was that the astroturf flooring was showing signs of wear.

Although it was February, the weather while we were there was mild and it was lovely sleeping with the terrace doors open all night and the sound of the waves.

The location of the hotel is across the road from the beach - there is a large, well lit pedestrian tunnel a very short walk from the hotel (turn right out of the hotel) and if you turn right once across the road it is a short walk into the centre of Cascais. Turn left and you have a lovely long walk along the promenade, with little bars and restaurants along the way and the stunning ocean next to you. I wouldn't choose this hotel for a beach holiday as the beaches themselves are not that big in this area of Portugal, but I would definitely return to the hotel again for it is easy to get into Lisbon if you want to - the train station is just down the road and the journey is no more than 30 minutes I believe and it is also a lovely area of the coast to explore - whether on foot (like me) or by car.

Breakfast was included in our rate and although I had to eat it alone (I ashamedly wasn't up early enough to eat with my husband before he left for the office!) I was made to feel very welcome and given excellent service, even though it is a buffet breakfast. Choices at breakfast were good and included all the usual items plus some lovely local Cava. The only thing missing from my point of view was the option to have freshly cooked eggs, but this was a small point. When I returned for breakfast after my first day the waiter remembered what tea I drank which was a small but very welcome touch. Oh, and breakfast comes with a great view of the ocean too.

On our last evening we ate in the hotel restaurant, taking advantage of their fixed price menu - which greatly exceeded our expectations. It included wine and bottled water as well as three courses and a pre-dinner drink, different olive oils to try with bread and a small 'taster' plate from the chef, and the service, once again, was superb.

In fact the staff, without exception, were not only very well accomplished in their jobs but they were also very helpful and friendly and I was never made to feel anything but a welcome and valued guest.

I really enjoyed my short break at the Cascais Miragem and would certainly recommend it if the price were right (we got a reasonable deal via Booking.com).

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Merlin5
Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed 8 March 2011

After staying at this hotel, I felt as I had to write a review here, to show my appreciation.

I was there in 28 Feb-2 March for euroPLX, which is a pharma gathering event. I got a standard room and it was large and very clean! The hotel is very spacious indeed.

It was totally exceptional having breakfast at their 3rd floor restaurant!

As soon as I asked for the internet at front dest, I am provided a cable and it was totally free!

Thanks again to all staff!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2011

For those wishing to have peace and quiet but easy access to Lisbon, this is perfect. But this is definitely not the only reason for staying at Miragem. The foyer and floors are immaculate and the staff always willing and prompt to help - nothing is too much trouble, whether it be on which glass of red wine to have in the bar one evening, to checking whether or not a local gallery is open, to advice over jogging routes to sorting out problems - I only had one problem really which was the fact that the hot water stopped in my junior suite on my first night but it was fixed very quickly and with such kind politeness, I am reluctant to mention it.
My junior suite was HUGE - a large bedroom, bathroom & lounge/dressing/wardrobe area in a separate room. As a solo traveller, it was a little too big so, when I go back again this year, I've reserved an ocean view deluxe double room. It is definitely worth booking an ocean view - the sunrises and sunsets are beautiful.
There is a large supermarket - selling food, clothes, toiletries, in fact, pretty much everything from pcs to gardening gear and stationary - only five mins walk away and the main shops and harbour front only another 10 minutes or so.
Gems were the Casa Das Historias - Paula Rego Museum for those passionate about modern art, the road heading away from Cascais towards Boca do Inferno gives the jogger a perfect companion in the form of crashing waves and endless skies, Sintra is crowded so don't make the mistake I made and arrive about midday, plus sights in Lisbon are only about 45 mins away on the train - also a 10 min walk from the hotel.
I cannot praise the staff enough really - I've just booked again to go back aroud the same time and they are so understanding and willing to make sure you have evrything you need to give the perfect relaxing quiet and luxurious stay.
I didn't use the gym as I went running outside.
I suppose my only other warning would be - take a waterproof coat and umbrella! The change in weather can be, a little hilariously, sharp and sudden - it can suddenly pour down with strong winds, drenching you and twenty minutes later, you're being warmed by glorious sunshine!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Sheena M
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I went to the hotel miragem to relax. I've stayed in 100s of hotels from 5* to -1* and it takes a lot to impress me but is hotel is something else. It's one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in. The room was huge with a balcony overlooking the ocean. The food was excellent and the staff were super friendly without being over bearing. Oh and free wifi in public areas,, usually a no no in 5* hotels.

Anything wrong? Yes, the weather was crap, but that's not the hotel's fault and it was february, the pool was out of order but I wasn't there to swim. That's it. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, beautiful hotel, great location and fantastic food. One of the best.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank unaontour
Reviewed 18 October 2010

The Miragem is a great hotel on the coast with outstanding water views. The rooms are clean and well laid out, the restaurant and bar were excellent. Service was impeccable both in the restaurants and for the hotel in general. Breakfast is included and is a nice buffet with outstanding food quality. Each room has free internet, but not wireless; the desk will provide an ethernet cable if you forget yours.

The common areas are all nicely decorated, and what you would expect for a 5 star hotel. The restaurants likewise are well decorated. There is a nice pool which we did not use as it was a touch out of season for swimming. Service was among the best we have seen in a hotel, even those costing much more.

Cascais itself is a nice town; a bit what you'd expect for a beach vacation spot, but with ample restaurants and shopping. There is not much else but the town to visit in Cascais, but it is a great point to base yourself while visiting surrounding towns, like Sintra or Queluz (short and not too expensive cab rides), and is close to Lisbon.

The only thing we personally did not like was the fitness center, and this is just a personal preference matter. The hotel is connected to a large public gym and you can use the facilities free. The gym is actually nice enough and well equipped, but we, being now out of our 20s and 30s, prefer just a small quiet exercise room rather than the 20yo crowd pumping iron, taking spinning classes, with personal trainers all around, etc.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AAndTMD
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Every aspect of this hotel was perfect. Rooms overlooking the sea and the pool area serene and what was expected.
The service was impeccable conscientious, discreet and compentant.
The staff were friendly without being overfacing.
Whether ordering a taxi or glass of wine the attention seemed to be there before we asked. Asking for a vegetarian menu different from that on offer was not only no roblem to the chef but he and the staff seemed quite excited at the challenge.
On booking information was all we needed.
The Spa was good perhaps the gym and indoor swimming pool was too big but it is a health club too.
Can't fault anything and haing been in the business for 25 years I usually can.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank cygyana
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We had our wedding over at Cascais Miragem and it could not be a better place in terms of space, location, food and service.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple