“A Gem in Portugal and in the World”

Hotel Cascais Miragem
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Cascais
Thailand
“A Gem in Portugal and in the World”
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I returned to Hotel Cascais Mirage in January, and I must say that I was very impressed with what I experienced. I had been there before on business and I was already satisfied from before altough there was some mistakes that they where still "reparing" as they said. The Hotel is located in one of the most beautifull locations of Portugal, between the pictureque Villa of Cascais and Estoril where one of the biggest and nicest Casinos I have seen in Europe. It is right in front of the Ocean, with a very nice infinity edge pool with a view to the Sea ( altought it was too cold to use at that time...)The Hotel is completely revested in marble, and as a internacional contemporary decoration, making it feel modern but nobly classical. The entrance of the Hotel is a definitive Wow that will impress any Lady that you bring with you, and the Ocean view, marble bathrooms and comfortable room and bed will do the rest! My impression of the staff there is also very positive, but I guess it depends on the persons. Mine was very positive. Also a another Wow thing of the Hotel Mirage is the Welness Area, it has the biggest Fitness Area I have seen in any Hotel in the World (and I have seen some Hotels...) because it is connected with a famous Health Chain and now it is completly FREE!!! Yoga, Pilates Tai Chi, Body Pump, Total Conditioning, beautyfull interior swiming pool, sauna, turquish bath, you name it, they got it, all free!!! They told me that they finally managed to finalize the deal with the Chain and now guests can use it freely. Also the restaurant Gourmet was a very good experience with great views (as the rest....)
If you have never went to Portugal, I definitelly reccomend a visit to this Hotel, and if you had already been there, return, you will see the changes. I was a little worried about the construction work besides of the Hotel, but it didnt bother me at all, I didn't notice will I was inside the Hotel.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank infinityom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Finnish first
Portugal
Reviewed 16 November 2008

We had a terrible experience in Hotel Cascais Mirage, we took so long to write this review because we were waiting a feedback, but it never come.

Weddings aniversary, we went to their spa for a couples massage, after that we went to eat some food in the piano bar, wich is a very beatifull place and charming to be. After we eat we went to take a nap, after that we went to the restuarant where we had a booking, our stomach wasn´t ok. We send back the first meal because we couldn´t eat, then we had only the dessert and some coffe and water. After that we went to sleep. Terrible night, we could sleep with lots of nauses, we did the cheack out and we went to the hospital. We had to go there twice in the same day, diagnoses: alimentary poisoning!!! We imediatly contact the hotel manager, later we were contacted by the food and beverage manager, saying that they would send the food for one lab, and they would phone us later. 8 moths later and no answer. We trust the hotel thats why we didn´t wrote on the claim book but we will never do it again.

Ok forgeting this. The hotel is amazing, excellent social zones, excelent service, and very frindly employers. Our room was huge, one of the best we ever stayed, the view amazing, you could see all the baia the cascais. They prepared our bed with roses in a very charming act that we apreciated. We had a luck of a friend working there and she showed us their royal suites and ohh wonderfull suites, huge and with a magnificient view. We strongly recomend this hotel for people visiting cascais.

note: we think we had a bad luck with the food poisoning as we also work in this industry, but we only expect an answer or explanation from the hotel, i think we deserve this at least.

• Liked — One of the best hotels in cascais, the room, the view, the hotel, .
  • Disliked — the food and beverage service
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank snowflakes69
José Branco, General Manager at Hotel Cascais Miragem, responded to this review, 18 February 2009
Greetings from Hotel Cascais Miragem!

We would like to thank you for having chosen our Hotel to celebrate your weeding aniversary.

We also want to thank you for taking the time to write your appreciation of your stay and for all your kind words. More important, it is the review referred to the incident with the food.

Firslty and due to the importance of the matter, I appollogise for our delay in contacting you to inform you of the food analyses. Right after we aknoledge your complain, we sent the samples of the food from that day to analyses and the results sent by the laboratory review is that the food was in perfect conditions.

Although we do not doubght about your sickness, we want you to feel secure about the ingredients you consumed in the Hotel.

We feel very sorry that your experience did not occour as you expected, however, we may assure that our food was in perfected contidions.

Once again thank you for your time and consideration and we hope to have the oportunity to welcome you again soon to Hotel Cascais Miragem.

Warmest regards
José Branco
Helsinki
Reviewed 28 October 2008

The whole Cascais/Estoril area is a great place to spend a holiday but I would think twice before spending it here. The hotel is very modern, rooms are very spacious and luxurious and a huge amount of money has been spent on the property.

I felt that the whole character of the place was very corporate. the hotel had an impersonal feel and the service was poor in a country where good service can normally be taken for granted. Having to wait 20 minutes for a coffee is just not acceptable. terrible service at lunchtime and very poor value for money. Breakfast was no better with poor quality of food on offer (orange juice tasted like made from a packet)

The location is not great. There is a nice beach opposite but you have to go under an underpass to get to it and the road in front is very busy. If you get a high floor room overlooking the sea you might be happy (thankfully we did), however, if you are overlooking the building site next door you might be a bit cheesed off.

Both Cascais and Estoril are lovely places but the Miragem is in a sort of no man's land between the two. The walk along the seafront is nice once you have crossed the underpass to the beach.

I would not stay here again until they have got their service sorted out and until the building works next door have been completed.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Portland, OR
Reviewed 7 October 2008

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in September 2008 for a conference and wish we had stayed an additional night. It is a beautiful hotel - the grounds, restaurants, pool, rooms, lobby. Many areas to relax exist with wonderful views. The hotel is impeccably maintained and the staff are amazingly attentive. This especially includes the wait staff who were exceptional. It is a big hotel with big rooms which makes it very comfortable. The breakfast was great. Free internet access was welcome. The only downside is the prices. The room rate is expensive but that's understandable and not unreasonable for a 5 star hotel. The food and drink prices definitely bordered on unreasonable, however.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — Prices
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I really loved this hotel. It was clean, modern, spacious, great rooms, great views, great pool area, great food and wonderful staff. I found everyone so helpful, the staff at reception, the chamber maids, the waiters, and the pool boy - everyone! I agree that it was quite empty, but for someone who likes to keep themselves to themselves this did not bother me. We always got a chair by the pool, never had to wait for a table for food, so infact this was a blessing! I can’t get over the food in this hotel, it really was amazing. Everything from breakfast, to buffet lunch and the deserts! I am a vegetarian the chef catered very well for my needs. One tiny tiny thing, if and when I go back to stay at Cascais Miragem I will ask for a room higher than the fourth floor. Our view was great but our balcony was sort of box like so it never got any sun. All of the rooms and balconies above the fourth floor got the sun at one point in the day. But at least I know now for next time. I have already recommended this hotel to my parents and I think they are planning their trip already! I will be back to stay here!

• Liked — The food, the pool and the friendly staff.
  • Disliked — No sun on my balcony.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2008

The Miragem is certainly a swanky hotel - very 5 star appearance!
The rooms were comfortable, well furnished and we overlooked the sea (not the pool). Staff were polite and helpful but I agree with a former review that the place lacked a bit of soul! It was quite empty but one of the barmen told us that it is really busy outside tourist season with large company conferences - and that really summed it up.
Location was good - even tho' you had to access the beach via the road and subway (which wasn't really 'dank' ...) The building going on next door was not a problem (although it is clearly the reason for having the cross the road twice!)
The train station (very cheap and easy to hop on to Lisbon) and central Cascais were a 10 min walk; Cascais has plenty of lovely restaurants - Dom Pedro 1 was a particularly good evening!
The extras in the hotel - restaurant and spa - were very expensive but as breakfast was included we had that. It was delicious and a there was an extensive menu with no shortage of coffee!
Overall, the break was what we wanted - 4 days of sunshine with a little bit of exploring thrown in. If we were going for longer, I probably wouldn't stay at Miragem but something slightly smaller and more personal - but would deffo go back to Cascais!

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The atmosphere
Kent
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We stayed for 8 nights at the Miragem having read previous positive reviews of the Hotel. Thoroughly enjoyed it, minor issues is that we didn't have a sea view (but then we didn't ask for one so that is down to us), the pool is lovely and the staff really helpful. There was not enough drawer space in the wardrobe so left most of our folded items in our suitcase. Great location, just a 10 min walk into the main town at Cascais which is awash with places to eat - consequently didn't have any need to use the hotel restaurant. The bar is expensive on our first night we went and bought a bottle of water for our room and thought that 5 euros was expensive. Overall no complaints and we would go back again. We loved exploring the beautiful beaches on the west coast which you will need a car to get too. Two weeks would have been too long a stay for us - one week is just about right.

• Liked — quality of hotel
  • Disliked — The horrible walk to the beach