“Be Careful with your money”

Hotel Cascais Miragem
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Cascais
Ireland
“Be Careful with your money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

Let me start off by saying that this is a spectacular and gorgeous hotel, in fact one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. The rooms are spacious and extremely comfortable, the sea view is breath taking and the hotel itself is situated in close proximity to the beach and within walking distance of the town of Cascais.

My girlfriend and I had a very bad experience on the first morning of our stay. We went down for breakfast to the breakfast room at 10am and on our return 20 minutes later noticed that the room had been cleaned. This seemed a bit strange to me that the cleaner had entered our room and left within that space of time. The fact that all my clothes had been neatly folded apart from the pair of shorts where I had left my wallet also alerted my attention. My shorts were still lying on the floor.
I proceeded to check my wallet which I know for a fact had €300 in it prior to breakfast and noticed that there was now only €200 in it. I asked my girlfriend to check her purse. She also had €100 missing from her purse. We had not put our money in the safe at that time which was a huge mistake on our behalf. I didn’t even dream that the cleaners would have cleaned our room so soon.

At this stage we reported the missing money to reception, they reviewed the cameras and stated that a cleaner had entered our room at that time. They questioned the cleaner with regards the missing money but she flatly denied anything to do with this and as she had no previous bad marks against her there was nothing that management could do.

This whole incident although didn’t ruin our holiday left a very bad taste in our mouths for the remainder of our stay. I would still recommend this hotel but just advice people to be careful and not to leave their money lying around their hotel room.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Frank_429
José Branco, Hotel General Manager at Hotel Cascais Miragem, responded to this review, 20 October 2009
Dear Guests,

Greetings from Cascais!

I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay at Hotel Cascais Miragem and I am very sorry for the feelling you had that a member of our staff took money from your room.
As the Manager on Duty mentioned to you all necessary procedures were taken, but without any conclusion. Also, as it was mentioned to you, the Hotel does not take any responsability for any values left out of the safe deposit box.
The room maid, that cleaned your room works for the Hotel since its opened in 2004.
I have to say that, it is the first time that we had such a complaint.

I sincerely hope to have the great pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future to Hotel Cascais Miragem.

Best personal regards,

José Branco
Hotel Cascais Miragem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Finnish first
GLASGOW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

This hotel is absolutey fabulous. We have been going to the Lisbon coast for over 7 years and this is the best. The staff are wonderful, everyone of them, nothing is too much trouble and their manners and smiling faces are so, so nice. We had a great big room on the 6th floor with a huge balcony and full sea view. The little touches in the room are so nice, like fruit and water. We had a tray with coffee or tea and little cakes. Also we were served with port and the local custard tarts. We have never had this in any of the 5star hotels. We were given a welcome drink on arrival. We had dinner twice in the gourmet restaurant. Great food and service. We also had the lunch buffet with 2 of our friends who are local. They go there a lot and it was really good.We also had other friends in for coffee and the staff parked their car for them and brought it round to the front when it was time to go. The breakfasts are great. Everything you could want from champagne and strawberries, smoked salmon, hot and cold dishes and lovely pastries.
Fresh fruit and yogurts ect. Great. The pool was good and loungers, towels and umbrellas supplied. My wife used the indoor pool too.
Don't let the work next door put you off as you can't here a sound.
We will definately be back!

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

Stayed in the Cascais Miragem for a week in September 2009. From the start, staff were helpful and friendly; we were early for check in so the room wasn't ready. The staff stored our bags and directed us to the poolside terrace bar where we had a leisurely snack. They came to find us when the room was ready - no problems. The room was very big and very comfortable with a luxurious bathroom. Great views of the sea IF you get a front room with balcony. We didn't. I asked to be moved as soon as a room was available but got no response for the week, despite some obvious empty rooms. But that didn't matter; there was a big balcony with seating on our floor where you could sit out whenever you wished. Service and local information was first class. A great place to stay. Location was nice and quiet, just 5 minutes from train station, with underground access to the beach that goes under the road and railway in front. All of this is easy and takes only a few minutes. Beachfront promenade ideal for long evening walks admiring the sunset. vOne tip - if breakfast is included, it's fabulous and plentiful. for all other meals, eat out - there's a great choice within a few minutes walk. restaurant and bar very very pricey.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

We went with the intention of doing loads of sight seeing in and around Cascais but the hotel was just such a fantastic venue that we found it very difficult to leave. We spent five blissful days chilling out by their gorgeous pool with stunning views of the ocean.

So if you are looking for a fantastic venue to chill out this is definitely the place. The village of Cascais was also lovely, and we ventured out every night for dinner, never to be disappointed.

belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

We liked the Cascais Miragem. It's a nicely decorated, modern and clean hotel between Cascais and Estoril.
Food was great, rooms very large and comfortable, beautiful view from the balcony.
Some minor points:
-Service at pool: we ordered a burger, which took 45 minutes and 2 reminders. One day, an umbrella flew into the pool (it first hit a woman in the face). When we told the waiter at the pool, he blamed the hotelguests (he stated he closes the umbrella's when windy but the guest open them again, which was not true as we were the whole after noon at the pool. He only closed the ones that were NOT in the windy area...). He did not get the umbrella, which was still in the pool. Late at night we saw it was still in the pool, and as it could be dangerous for swimmers next day we told reception which did... nothing. Next morning: still in the pool. Next evening: still in the pool, removed by hotel guest.

-Location is indeed a bit difficult as you have to cross a busy road twice (with traffic lights though) AND a dirty tunnel which has no light (take a flashlight in the evening!!) to get to the center or the beach. Which are both no far away. Location is on the other hand good, as it is close to the center of Cascais and the center of Estoril (a lot of hotels in Cascais are a bit remote).

Cascais Miragem was a good experience and we would certainly return. We did not have any inconvience of the building works next door, as they were already putting the windows in.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Cascais!

Thank you very much for taking the time to make your review.

I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed the Hotel and the surroundings.

I am sorry for the minor points and I took all the necessary actions in order to avoid such thing to happen again.

Regarding the tunnel I immediately reported to the Municipality and it was painted and the lamp changed. By November there will be brand new tunner which will be wider and nicer as it will have a water cascade.

Thank you for your preference and looking forward to welcoming you back to Cascais in the near future.

Best personal regards

José Branco
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

We'd read many reviews on this site prior to booking this hotel and had our reservations, primarily about the hotel's location and atmosphere. Glad to say that our concerns were unfounded. The hotel is only a short walk (5-10mins) from both Cascais and Estoril and though it is on the main road, the hotel is built above the road so it is only seen from the hotel lobby and not seen (or heard) from the rest of the hotel. The atmosphere of the hotel was great also. We'd read that the hotel was more of a business hotel and as such had a tendency to be vacant and quiet. This was the not the case at all. The hotel had a very vibrant feel to it, and a great mix of couples and families. HIghly recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2009

It was my third time staying at Cascais Miragem and it's impossible to be disappointed! The hotel structure is magnificent, service outstanding, it was again an overall very good experience with only minor flaws.
First of all location: it is located very close to the city center, at about 10 minutes on foot from the shopping mall and the beginning of the pedestrian area, overlooking the sea and the beach. Unfortunately the railway and the very trafficated provincial road pass right in front of it spoiling itslocation a lot and making it a little bit akward to walk and cross the street to reach the center. During my stay there were construction works in the building beside Hotel Mirage so this added up a little bit to the general mess in the sorroundings at the time but this must be temporary.
As I said front desk staff is marvelous, kind and efficient. I was given my key after showing my passport as I was already pre-registered due to a previous stay. I was also offered two welcome drinks for me and my partner.
Room was spacious with a view over Cascais Marina and the swimming pool. Outstanding bathroom, and very nice balcony carpeted in green resembling fake grass.
The pool is also very beautiful and breakfast area and the bar sit just beside it.
A very complete and tasty breakfast completes your stay. There's a car park and for those in need of pampering a SPA is also available.
The only other minor flaw is the lack of wireless internet connection in the rooms. Upon check-in you will be offered (if you ask) a cable to run the internet on your pc but this is pretty short forcing you to use your computer at the desk. I really hope they can upgrade this service shortly.
Parking is for a fee (12 € per day during my stay).

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business