“Great hotel, clean and modern, helpful staff.. would recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel da Vila

Hotel da Vila
Hotel da Vila
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Cascais
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, clean and modern, helpful staff.. would recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

Near to Tourist office and easy to find, the hotel let us check in 3 hours early, no problems at all. Our room was clean and modern, cleaned and new towels daily, nice shower, comfortable bed and a good selection of tv channels. There was free internet access in foyer. All of the hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is near all of the bars and restaurants and just a short walk from the train and railway station and taxi rank. It is an ideal base for going to see Motogp at Estoril circuit. I don't understand some of the reviewers - it seems that some people expect 6 star facilities but only want to pay youth hostel prices! It was a really nice modern hotel, we got a great deal from Travel Republic approx £35-40 a night. We would definately recommend the hotel to others and stay there again if we return to Cascais.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HondaRS250

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

We only stayed for one night at Da Vila as we booked an apartment overlooking the sea for our remaining 3 nights in Cascais. Thank goodness we didn't stay more nights than the one. The rooms are VERY SMALL! We paid about £67 for the night. At the desk it said £140 per night. very glad we didn't pay that much.
The bath room was also very small. no bath. the water didn't drain away and the shower curtain was too long. the grouting around the bottom was black in places.
the bed was comfy enough and our room, 113, was very quiet and it was a thursday night.
if the price was half what we paid, i would recommend this hotel, however for this amount it is way overpriced.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Cascais hotels

Warsaw, Poland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

I stayed for 4 nights in the beginning of August 2010. The hotel has a great location - in the heart of Cascais close to restaurants and the sea. And this is pretty much it for the good sides... the rooms are very small and very basic which does not have to matter if you are in Cascais to go out.
But.. I had a room on the first floor. When I opened the window I was surprised too see that it was just about half a meter above street level with a car parked so close that I could probably touch it if I reached out. Needless to say that opening the window was not an option.
The breakfast server was also very basic - pretty much the same style as in the plastic Formule 1 hotels in France.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Keson123
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

I'm a firm believer in hotel and book reviews. I write a ton of them and rely upon them before I make key hotel and book (or other) purchases.

It's why what I'm about to write is in the best interests of people just like me who use these things to avoid problems in advance.

This hotel is not what it promises nor sets out to be. It's got a lovely entrance, a sweet middle location -- if only from the fact that it's just a few minutes away from the beach and the main squares of Cascais -- and clean, though tiny, rooms. As for the other platitudes people here are claiming in their reviews, I don't know whether we were staying in the same facility? I mean, really?

I came to the hotel on the evening of the 19th of August -- staying until the 22nd -- as a kind of central spot for my forays around Estoril and Cascais. I was alone from Prague where I live (a major tourist mecca), and in PT for a handful of days to get some R&R and unwind after a very arduous August of intense work, hoping that all of the good things I'd read about in these reviews would actually come to fruition.

Given that there was more than a fair share of negative reviews as well, I was hoping against all hope that none of that stuff would come to pass...I was wrong.

The clerk at the desk as I'd arrived -- I won't mention his name, but suffice it to say it was a "he" -- inserts me in Room #3, which is in the sort of "annex" of the hotel (rooms 3, 4, and 5, I believe, form the annex -- so be very careful if you make the faulty decision to stay here and get chucked into one of those rooms). The annex is immediately adjacent to the noisy busy parking area with a nightclub right next door with blaring music from around nine in the evening to well past 4 am or later.

The annex is lined up with flat area of the hill's rise upon which the hotel sits. I arrived on a Thursday night, late. Bad move already. From Thurs. until Sunday morning when I departed I didn't get a good night's rest. Not a single one. 95 EUR a night for this crud.

I'm was furious that the guy shunted me into Room #3 all because I came alone.

I'd have understood it if I was a little hard to handle, drunk, loud, or otherwise belligerent. Moreover, I'd paid the hotel directly -- not through Expedia, for instance, my normal course of action -- which means that the hotel got to keep all of the action, less a merchant's fee for my Visa card processing, which kind of burned me up.

The corridor to these :"annex rooms" was well lit, but the architecture of the hotel building itself was wonky -- those three rooms were being bombarded all night by the sounds of tourists and drunk locals reveling in the alley. In fact, someone in the parking area etched the initials "Z-E-N -- and I have a photo to prove it " in the frosted glass of my room's sole window which I'd only noticed the day following. Vandalism. The noise was exceedingly loud filtering through from the alley and it's a wonder they even built rooms and maintain them on that floor and not have their guests throwing furniture out the window to quell some of the constant ruckus. For the price I'd paid, it was totally unacceptable. They're likely expecting tourists to be so wasted that they won't notice it when they bumble back into the hotel in the early morning hours.

About the window: there is *no grill* so if some unscrupulous local drunkard or tourist wants to cause a little mischief and a guest accidentally leaves their heavy window a crack open to get some air in the stuffy overheated room, someone can toss in some rubbish, a stink bomb, a bottle, or worse (or just catch you totally naked) -- and for those of you security-conscious types out there, be very careful. The window is low-slung enough that someone can slip into your room and even steal your belongings on the table adjacent just by reaching in. Perhaps some jerk might cause mischief by even hopping into the room for the thrill of it. I couldn't -- for the life of me -- understand why the window didn't open in a vertical way. Only horizontally? Epic fail HOTEL DA VILA!!! This was just rotten.

The room is cramped as all get-out. The desk has no chair. I kept stubbing my toe and scratching my legs as I tried to pass the gap between the bed's edge and the bureau as I skipped off to the nightly toilet run, and I'm not a big guy, so I can't see why this was such a problem. It was painful. I've got the scratches to prove it.

Wi-fi was working, which was a relief, but I'd gladly surrender ensuite free wi-fi to get a little R&R at the hotel. I was so burned up that I didn't even go out on my last Saturday night in the city because I know that I'd have been up for the entire night with the nonsense going on next door. It was pure garbage.

Breakfast was a major shill. I don't know what breakfast one of the previous commenters here was so happily eating and getting full on -- the meal consists of only sliced white and wheat bread, one brand of sliced cheese, some meats, and some jams. Yogurts and some fruits pieces are thrown in for the mix for variety, and I can't even pour my own coffee? I have to ask for one every single time? No desserts even? No small cakes? No bread choice? No eggs on demand? Not even scrambled? For 95 EUR/night, this is what I'm getting? I paid the same rate for a 4-star hotel in Lisbon and got a lovely breakfast spread and a totally pristine and quiet room. In the capital in the downtown area. So what gives?

The eating area is mega-cramped. If you're claustrophobic and like to eat in peace, dream on.

Also, I don't know how this hotel gets off billing itself as a "business" hotel. I asked if they had an iron and an ironing board somewhere on the premises so that I could press some shirts before stepping out for the evening -- the attendant on night duty looked at me as if I was from Pluto. He's like: "We don't have that facility here." I go: "But you do have cleaners that clean the place every day and they have a cabinet that you have the keys to, right?" I was thinking that they don't place crinkled sheets or tablecloths on the beds or the tables, so what gives? I mean, what if there's an emergency or something? Are they going to call their 24-hour pressing service to come and sort things out? See what I mean?

I couldn't even wear some my nice -- though wrinkled - duds that I'd brought to Cascais for nights at the clubs or for restaurants there without using a makeshift 3rd-best option which was to steam my shirts while I was in the shower. A very poor substitute...

I'm happy the attendant was able to show me how to get my hotel in Lisbon the next day via Portuguese Google Maps, because if he was going to tell me "we don't have that facility here" again, I was going to freak out.

I was *thoroughly unhappy* with my stay. Even the gruff manner in which the initial attendant asked that I pay for all three nights in advance at around ten at night when I'd arrived. Bad karma, bad touch. Taking an imprint, or freezing a deposit, that'd have been cool. But the whole approach was so smarmy and grubby that it left a bad impression in combination will all of the things that happened to me as described above.

I would not stay here again and not tell my friends to stay here either. I have >4,000 Facebook friends, and not to one of them -- even my enemies -- would I advise to stay here and waste their hard-earned money.

The way I saw it, stay at hotels slightly outside of Cascais' main drag, along the sea coast towards Boca de Inferno, and then take cabs or rent a bike or walk (that's what I did) into town for your daily and clubbing and eating/drinking needs. Staying in the city itself is not worth the small premium that you pay for places like Hotel da Vila. Total rip-off for people who have long-since paid off the property's mortgage and are just sitting back on their laurels skimming off the cream because this seems to be the going rate for Cascais at this time of year.

I got better service from 3-star restaurants right on the beach...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank therealadm
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights and found it to be a really good experience. It's modern, nicely furnished and absolutely spotlessly clean. The only small things we could fault with this hotel was the fact that our room was a bit small with no balcony, there was no safe for our valuables, and its great location meant that on the weekend, there was a bit of street noise - double edged sword .

But other than that, it was clean as a whistle, had a great breakfast on offer. Its location could not be beaten, and the staff were friendly, helpful and on hand to offer tips and advice.

Like many in Cascais, the hotel does not have a swimming pool, but does have a stash of free beach towels for guests on a daily basis, to take down to the beach. This fact wasn't offered when we checked in, which was a bit of a bummer as we went out and bought 2 towels before realising we could have borrowed some from the reception.

Cascais was awesome...30 mins from central Lisbon, with great beaches and superb seafood, all wrapped with a very relaxing, chilled vibe. We would definitely return to this town and for good value for money, would also definitely recommend this hotel to others ...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
buckinghamshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

On arrival we were really impressed with the hotel as we didnt think it would be that good considering we hadnt payed much but it was really nice. The rooms were clean and sheets and towels changed everyday. I dont know why some people have complained about the strip club being noisy as for the 5 days we were there we didnt hear anything in our room, even when it was busy. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Lisbon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

I stayed in this hotel for the New Year celebrations in the town Cascais.

The hotel has a very good location if you wanna enjoy the town, because it is really close to the main atractions such as Cascais bay, the marina, town hall, fortress, restaurants, bars and shops and you can visit all on foot.

The decoration was ok, nothing fancy but it had good taste.
The room i stayed in was spacious, had a nice window wich was great for natural light, and the bathroom was also ok.
The downside was, that the room didn't have any rug or carpet, making it not so comfortable nor cozy.

The staff was friendly and helpful, with only one little question to be solved, and they had to wait for their supervisor.

It was a good stay even though it was only for one night, and i would recommend it because of the location/price ratio.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple