“New Year's 2011”

Ranked #2 of 11 Estoril B&B and Inns
Lebbeke
“New Year's 2011”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

After visiting DV Guesthouse this summer, I went back with some friends to spend the last days of 2011. The impression of my firt visit got confirmed. Fernando, the host, is a very nice, caring and helpfull person. He really makes you feel at home. He seems very proud of his country, as he should be, and can tell you a lot of interesting things about it, he's the perfect guide :) . The accomodation is impeccable. So if you like to have personal attention and contact with the host of your guesthouse, this is the place you have to visit! No regrets, guaranteed!!
See you next time Fernando!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My partner and I had very relaxing 5 night stay at Fernando's lovely apartment. Beautiful artifacts from his own travels and artist friends, relaxing music for breakfast on the ipod, and the fabulous breads (~ I normally don't touch the stuff, but this was fantastic!) and cheeses (ditto!). When my back seized up he was very helpful with finding a local osteopath, and with bringing in food for us in the evenings (I found the hills a bit too challenging in my fragile state!), and with recommending a local restaurant that did not involve too many steep inclines - which turned out to be a wonderful experience that we still talk about! Some spectacular weather - when it was good - those intense blue skies you just don't get in the UK, and when it was bad: torrential rain/thunder/lightening - an amazing light show from the balcony looking out over Estoril - fortunately there was an umbrella to hand to borrow, and the central heating worked a treat.
Splendidly clean, and yes the cleaning lady/assistant we met was very polite and helpful.
Superb mattresses + toppers! and the pillowcases were works of art
The photos don't really do Dolce Vita justice, it is such a beautiful place to stay.
And Fernando was very happy to help me add to my limited Portuguese,
As for quibbles - a limited selection of English DVDs, although lots of channels on the TV, (we stayed in more than we had planned because of my back, but this would also apply if the weather were consistently bad).
The coffee machine took a bit of getting used to, helpful tip (adapted from Fernando), make an espresso, as per the machine, and then run the water through again as for a small cup, and it comes out great!
I was in the Green Room (and what beautiful room, especially the amazing light installation!), although the balcony was the shared with the kitchen, so not as private as I had thought, but that was ok, but (and sorry if this seems a seriously minor quibble) the loo roll holder was just not in the right place - it's one of those small things that is so easy to be not quite right.
Location - hillier than we had expected
BUT - it was a wonderful place, and we will gladly stay there again, but at a warmer/dryer time of year - would love to try the swimming pool!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Dolve Vita Guest House descibes itself as a nice place for nice people and it's absolutely spot on. Fernando, the owner is a wonderful host, the accomodations is tastefully decorated and a very comfortable place to be. The beds are the same ones they have at The Four Seasons, he tells me though frankly it might be more accurate to suppose they are the same ones they have in heaven. Ditto the shower. And for the hyper-fastidious, place was insanely clean.
Dolce Vita is a good value alternative for people who dislike large, impersonal conference or tourist hotels.
I will return.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I have to agree with all the previous comments on Trip Advisor about Dolce Vita and Fernando. I couldn't fault anything about Dolce Vita in terms of decor, cleanliness, comfort (and excellent coffee).

The only reason I didn't give a full five stars is only due to the following: Please note, these aren't faults, just expectations and comments about what would make it better.

- From the website it appeared that the second balcony was for use by guests. It said there were books and a cd collection. This is the area that Fernando lives and although Fernando kindly offered to take me up there, guests weren't able to go up on their own. Before the holiday I imagined this is an area I could spend a bit of time in after coming back from a day out.

- Breakfast not provided. No expectations for this but it would make a difference some days, especially for us on the last day when we were leaving early afternoon and needed to eat before we caught the plane. We all planned to go and eat in a restaurant/cafe that morning but I couldn't face the walk down and up the hill in the pouring down rain. There is plenty of fruit if you want this but I am not a big fruit eater (none of us are) so had a banana and ate on the plane later.

I have just looked at the website again and there is a note on there that breakfast can be ordered in advance. I am sure this has been added since we booked last month.

- No hairdryer in rooms. I am sure Fernando would have let us use one if there was one in the house but I didn't want to ask for this.

Housekeeping is spotless. Shoes tidied, things put away folded up. The one maid we met was lovely and polite (like Fernando) and very willing to help.

Rooms were lovely - As a family of 3, we had the Green Room and the Yellow Room. This was the most we have ever spent on accommodation and it was due to us needing 2 rooms so paid for 3 people per night, which is different from self-catering. We hesitated a lot before booking this but it did look like something special and it was. The Yellow Room has it's own separate bathroom which is spotless with fresh flowers in there. The Green Room could have done with just a little bit more storage space.

Safes in each room. Not that I felt I needed these as the complex is very secure.

Free wi-fi. This was appreciated by my 15 year old as she 'needs' to stay in touch with friends. Fernando lent us a uk adaptor for our laptop because we had forgot to bring one.

Shower gel and body lotion provided and fresh towels every day folded perfectly. Showers were amazing and I missed a powerful shower when I got home.

Relaxing music on in the living room gave a very calm atmosphere. This was lovely. Not too loud, just gentle background music.

The guesthouse is very inspiring and on return I wanted to fill my home with the sort of things Fernando has in his. It is exactly to my taste.

Would I return?

For me personally, I would prefer self-catering in our own apartment just for the fact that we can go and make a coffee when we want, bring food home to cook ( I am not saying Fernando wouldn't have allowed this, I'm just not sure he would be comfortable us doing this and would want to do it for us). Also I prefer to have full use of the accommodation without someone else living there (no matter how nice, kind they are). Although I knew Fernando lived on the premises I didn't realise his living area was on the balcony.

If you fancy a change and want superb accommodation (the best I have stayed in) and want interesting conversations, helpful advice, inspiring decor (and a great view from the main balcony overlooking Cascais and the sea) then do stay here. I have fond memories of Fernando although we only stayed 5 days.

Other points:

Fantastic location. A 10 minute walk brings you to the rail station where you can get a train to Lisbon (25-30 mins). You can also get the train to Cascais or you can walk alongside the beach on the promenade and you will pass many restaurants. We did this in the day and a few nights and one late afternoon (as there were more restaurants there) and the sunsets are amazing.

My husband went in a local bar in the evening because me and my daughter didn't fancy going out as we had tired ourselves out in Sintra that day. He chose one next to the rail station (the sort I would avoid due to being full of Portuguese men). He had a great few hours in there and the locals were very friendly to him. They talked sport and called him 'my big English friend' when he left.

It is slightly hilly walking back up to the guesthouse but not too much, just for those who are unfit (like me).

I won't give any more facts on the area and what you can do because Fernando is full of information and you can ask him anything.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank julesls
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My travel partner and I both found our stay with Fernando beyond compare. He went so far above and beyond what was promised, feeding us with no agreement to do so, providing accommodations with a microscopic level of attention to details of comfort (premium quality mattresses, bathroom fixtures, decor, ... too much to list). Fernando is a long-time resident and is also very well-read and interested, both locally and worldwide. He was an invaluable source of information about local treasures and events. He took several opportunities to drop us off when he was heading out himself. And what a warm and attentive presence - I feel that I have a new friend. He knows he is welcome to visit whenever he finds his way to my part of the globe.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We do not usually submit feedback after our trips, but having stayed at Dolce Vita guesthouse and experienced the hospitality of Fernando, I feel compelled to. It is difficult to fault our stay in Estoril - from the decor of the house, the comfortable bed, the coffee, Fernando's tips on what to visit, where to eat and what local delicacies to try. We would definitely go back and have recommended the guesthouse to friends already.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Innsbruck, Austria
Reviewed 8 October 2011

living 15 days a month in hotelrooms I can assure that I never experienced a cleaner room/ guesthouse as Dolce Vita. Host Fernando and housekeeping do a wonderfull job. Very nicely decorated. Perfect for people who want to relax and who don`t want the busy atmosphere of a hotel. To recommend. Thank you Fernando!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Estoril
InterContinental Estoril
Hotel Londres
#6 of 17 in Estoril
Palacio Estoril Hotel, Golf and Spa
Grande Real Villa Italia Hotel & Spa

Been to Dolce Vita Guesthouse? Share your experiences!