“Watch that you get the room you booked”

Palacio Estoril Hotel, Golf and Spa
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Estoril
Edinburgh
“Watch that you get the room you booked”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We arrived from the airport and were told our room was not ready which I had expected. We were asked to wait but were told "We have a wonderful room for you". When we returned we were shown the room which was 126. I said I had booked a Deluxe Superior room and I did not think this was in that category. After some discussion and phone calls we were shown another room 328 which was bigger and told there was nothing else available. I later on went on to the website and on reading the descriptions would suggest 126 was a Classic room and 328 was a Superior room. Neither was a Deluxe Superior which is what I booked with my agent. I complained to my agent and when I paid my bill they had agreed to reduce my bill by 30 euros a night. Would they have done this if I had not complained?

I look at it this way:

If I went into a BMW showroom and ordered and paid for a BMW 7 Series and they delivered a BMW3 Series I would say I had not been given fair value.

The Hotel public rooms are stunning and the pool area very attractive. The staff worked hard and worked well and I am sure had I got the level of room I had expected I might have written a different report.

This report is here as a warning to others.

Room Tip: If you book a Superior room 328 has a balcony which I would recommend
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Rannoch2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed at the Palacio Estoril Hotel for nine days in September. This really is a five star hotel. It is a beautiful building, maintained to a very high standard. The staff are well-trained, extremely professional and courteous. The hotel has a lovely pool, which is in superb condition.

The hotel sits in beautiful grounds in the centre of Estoril. There is little to do in Estoril and the choice of restaurants is poor. However, the train station is only a 7/8 minute stroll from the hotel, and regular trains run from there to Cascais, which is a beautiful place with an extensive choice of restaurants. In the other direction, the train runs to Lisbon.

We had a superior room which was fairly large and well-appointed. Unfortunately, the television, was old and offered a limited choice of channels.

Breakfast was very good, I did not dine in the hotel and bar prices were on the high side..

The only negative feature of our stay was a wedding which was held in the hotel on the Saturday. No problem at all until just after one o'clock on Sunday morning, when we were wakened by deafening music. This continued until four o'clock. I did not anticipate that in a hotel of this class.

Room Tip: Pool-facing rooms have the best views - but if there is a wedding on during your stay, opt for the o...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

There is not a lot more that I can say about the Palacio that hasnt already been said . The hotel and its staff are indeed splendid , the breakfast selection is everything that you could want and then a little bit more. Things like afternoon chocolates as the maids turn your bed down are qalmost forgotten habits nowadays and if you are fond of attention to detail and love being saluted by doormen as they advise you to mind the step then this will be your type of hotel.
That said , these things usually come at a cost and in my opinion the restaurant meals , although excellent, could be better priced . All in all this is a fantastic place to stay and not really any more expensive than most of the others around this area on a B&B basis ,so I actually thought that overall it was good value for money

2 Thank gavin m
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Everything was just perfect, from very friendly staff to very nice room and food :) eg. the room came with fresh fruit, and the hotel is close to the nice walk along the app 6 km beach promenade and there is a nice pool with servings. Also a nice gym and indoor pool. and good meeting facilities. There is really not more I can say since it was just perfect.

Room Tip: I had a nice room with "mountain" view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Saffron Walden
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have just returned from a lovely holiday at the Palacio. We found the staff delightful and the service excellent in most areas although at times slow for drinks and food at the poolside. We had a deluxe room on the top floor with a nice balcony overlooking the pool and coast. The bathroom was spacious although we found the bedroom a little on the small side and we had to move a heavy chair in order to open the wardrobe door and drawers. The room was however well maintained and kept spotless at all times. The toiletries were replaced as we used them and towels changed twice daily.

We ate in the Grill on a couple of nights and the food was very good but we felt it lacked atmosphere. In fact our only criticism on the hotel was the lack of atmosphere, although the hotel was full, the bar in the evenings rarely had more than a handful of guests, it is such pity as the surroundings are so welcoming. A grand piano was sitting in the corner, but there was
never a pianist, we felt that a little background music would have made all the difference.

As others have said the location of the hotel is great, we spent a couple of leisurely days in
Lisbon which is a fantastic city and also a day in Sintra, both using the very efficient and cheap public transport. A special thanks to Concierge Mario who was so helpful and kind to us and recommended some great places to eat.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Just returned from a fabulous stay at this hotel. The hotel has a grand elegance and a feel of times gone by - however this could be its downfall. The management need to decide. In what direction this hotel is heading rather than reflecting on past glories.

The staff are welcoming and attentive, many have been there a long time and must have seen many changes - not all for the good. The concierge service is excellent and I would certainly go with their recommendations for restaurants, trips etc, taxis are inexpensive.

Our room was lovely overlooking the pool, sadly we did not have a balcony but there are plenty of places to sit in the gardens. On arrival our room was stocked with the advertised Molten Brown products however these were not regularly replaced so do not rely on them. The bathroom although spotless was not a five star bathroom - shower over the small bath with shower curtains. the bath seal was also in need of attention.

The daily weather and the Baci chocolates each night were a nice touch. The sheets are changed every day and towels replaced twice daily whether you have put them for wash or not. The mini bar is well stocked however this is an area I do believe the management need to review - 3,50 euros for a small 34 cent bottle of water (supermarket just over the road). I do expect some mark up ihowever this is ridiculous, chocolate, crisps etc were equally extortionate. I have not seen these price differentials in London or in the USA and they survive and even thrive.

Although the hotel does have air conditioning it is not very effective in the bedrooms, so it is difficult to get a comfortable nights sleep when it is hot. There are no coffee and tea making facilities and an iron is only available on request. These are pretty standard items these days and there is plenty of room in the walk in closet to put them. It is irritating to have to ring housekeeping when you just wish to run an iron over a shirt or fancy a cup of tea when you get in late or wake up early. The choice would be nice. Wi-fi is free but service is intermittent and passwords are changed regularly without notify guests. The code change could be left each night along with the weather card.

The restaurants, pool bar and bar are totally under utilised, again I do believe this is because of price and lack of service, not once were we approached either at the pool or in any of the lounges to ask if we would like any refreshments. Guests are expected to seek out the waiters which can be difficult in such a large hotel. The five star market is now very competitive and although people may have money they still like to feel they are not being exploited and are receiving discrete excellent service. The days of royal visits are few and far between and the hotel need to review who they wish to market to.

This is a five star hotel, although guests turn up for breakfast in beach attire, I do think it is reasonable to expect no swim suits in the dining room. Breakfast can turn into a battlefield especially when it is busy, this is caused by the poor layout of the food, one antiquated self service toaster for a whole hotel, a Nespresso machine that many of the staff do not know how to fix when it gets jammed and some very ignorant guests. I would recommend that you ask for a pot of tea and use the coffee machine, the refreshment served by the servers is weak and tasteless. if you would like poached eggs, omelettes or anything else just ask, these are provided but not advertised. Do not leave your toast in the toaster and walk away, we saw several incidents of mini fires being extinguished by the waiters.

The spa is fabulous although as previously mentioned by other guests totally empty. The spa pool and gym are open for guests for free although not promoted, it is fabulous if you want some quiet time. Put on your robe and slippers and go through the internal tunnel. Treatments are well priced and the staff are lovely.

The pool has plenty of loungers and umbrellas, depending on whether you like sun or shade there is an area for everyone. The pool is cold, and very few guests actually take the plunge. There is no area for small children, so many families appear to go across to the beach. The pool man is very helpful, but not in attendance every day. Sadly some people do getup at the crack of dawn to reserve a bed which then perpetuates the problem.

Free quality papers are available in the reading room. There is a lounge with books available to borrow that have been left by previous guests and a card room. The public areas are beautiful and a lovely place to sit and relax. There is a small shop and supposedly a hairdresser although my wife could not find it- there are three within a five minute walk of the hotel.

Guests with money do not necessarily mean good manners, some need to remember there are other residents in the hotel especially late at night and early morning. Many of the older guests have returned year after year and have commented on a decline in standards.

Location is ideal for the casino, the station and the beach. There are very few local amenities which the hotel could use to their advantage, with some small changes, including a price review for food and an informal evening dining room.

I would definitely return here but I do not know how long this hotel will survive on its past glories in this very competitive market.

Thank you to the all the staff for a lovely holiday especially the concierge, always helpful, attentive and very informative.

Room Tip: A rear room over looking the garden and pool with a balcony.
2 Thank MDS1960
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Had a wonderful trip to Palacio with my mum and three sisters. The staff are so attentive, friendly and helpful. We couldn't have asked for more. Restaurant food a little disappointing. Beautiful pool, wonderful comfort and just a sense of old world glamour. This place is special. Already planning our return!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Estoril
InterContinental Estoril
Martinhal Cascais
Martinhal Cascais
#1 of 38 in Cascais
Pestana Cidadela Cascais

Been to Palacio Estoril Hotel, Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!