“Nice, central hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dom Goncalo Hotel & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Dom Goncalo Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Fatima
Lisbon, Portugal
“Nice, central hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

The hotel is quite central, in one of the main roundabouts of Fátima. Nice atmosphere in a quiet area, clean rooms and very friendly staff. The breakfast has a wide range of choices and you can also have lunch or dinner at the snack bar, close to the restaurant hotel, at affordable prices with a very similar menu to the restaurant. The spa area has a swimming pool with 1,50m depth, a jacuzzi, turkish bath, sauna and tropical shower. You can stay there for about two hours a day so it's not too crowded.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
cuneo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Great hotel and athmosphere, nice and comfortable room, big bathroom with all conforts. Mini bar well assorted and good prices. Great breakfast with good choice of food and beverages. Well located not far from Fatima cathedral.

Room Tip: I believe that all rooms are good
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

This hotel was recommended to us by a vendor we were visiting nearby. It was really very good overall. The check in was efficient but not overly friendly or informative. The hotel overall is very smart and chic in a minimalistic kind of way. The room was spotless and comfortable. The staff in the bar and restaurant were excellent even if I just squeaked in before closing time and the meal was delicious.
As per previous reviews the bed was a bit hard, but I'd sleep on a bed of nails so no big issue for me.
Breakfast was really pleasant with a great selection, one suggestion though; please offer freshly brewed coffee in individual pot or cafetiere as the only coffee available was instant sachets and hot water.
Fantastic value for money, really enjoyed my stay. Would return without question.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BrendanK1992
mkthotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dom Goncalo Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
We would like to inform you that we always provide coffee in a cafetiere at the buffet breakfast and we also provide expresso coffee on request. We present our apologies if perchance something happened that it was not available at the time you wanted to use.

Thank you for visiting us. Sincerely,
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We chose the cheapest room type.
This hotel is easy to locate : right when entering the city.
Friendly competent receptionist. Room a little 70's ish but superclean and comfortable.
the spa is modern,beautiful and as a large pool, small steamroom and sauna.But working perfectly
A special recommendation for the restaurant. This one deserves a detour. We had a fantastic very moderately priced dinner there. Again : top quality competent service
The breakfast also excellent with again attentive and competent waitress.

Room Tip: There are different categories of rooms here. Newer and older part. Ours in the old part was certain...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sir, We greatly appreciate your willingness to review your stay at Dom Goncalo Hotel & Spa. Customer feedback is extremely important to the team. Thank you for visiting us. Check back often. Sincerely,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

When we booked for Fatima the Travel Agent suggested this hotel. One online review stated that the beds were quite hard so we contacted the Travel Agent and stated our concerns as one of us had a back problem, they emailed the hotel about our concerns
the hotel emailed back and said " They can see the bed for themselves and speak with Housekeeping for anything they need"

On arrival we asked what they would do to solve the problem the only thing they could suggest was to put extra bedding under the sheet which did nothing to solve the problem. We asked the receptionist if they had a foam mattress topper as this would have helped, she said they had nothing like that. Please, please if you have a bad back or suffer from arthritis keep in mind those hard mattress if you want to have a good nights sleep.

This was our problem but apart from that we found the staff were very nice and polite.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank J S
SicaH, Guest Relations Manager at Dom Goncalo Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Sir,
We greatly appreciate your comment that it is of utmost importance to us. We regret that it has not been possible to provide an appropriate solution and have given you a good rest.

KInd Regards,
Carmel, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is our third time for staying at this hotel. We come about every two years for our Fatima experience. The hotel has free parking . The rooms are lovely with comfortable beds. They have a beautiful heated pool. A hearty breakfast is included. Lovely decorations and immaculate facility.
The owner is always available to chat and is very proud of his hotel. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms in the north wing are just remodeled--very nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We greatly appreciate your comment that it is of utmost importance to us. We are satisfied that everything was to your liking. We hope you had a great stay and a great trip.
Kind regards,
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have just come back from a long Weekend in Fatima.... 3 nights at Dom Goncarlo! In General the staff at the Restaurant and Bar are very competent, very polite and all. I am not sure about the ones at the spa and reception about their competence.

I reserved a kingsize bed since I was alone.. I got two double single beds and those Singles are small! Surely a 4 star should have a bed you feel comfortable and not squeezed in a Junior bed of about 90-100 cm wide! Come on! This is not a Student property! At list a 120 cm! They promsed to Change for me! I went twice to the reception and requested. They said withy would call me and they never did! Most dramatic was when I entered the room! That smell of the carpet! MMhh--- let me refrase.. that odd "odour" of the bedroom carpet was not welcoming at all! And it was there everytime i came to my room!!! The carpets also in the corridor are pretty old or are not properly cleaned!
The room was beautiful, spacious, wonderful bathroom with more accessories than I have had at hilton....there was even a shaver ready and I did not need to ask incase I did not have one! I love bidet and I was sooo happy to see one in the bathroom.... But please.. that stench of the carpet! If I did not open the window it came all the way to the bathroom! SO I decided to open my window whenever I was in and half the night!
The Spa world.... mhh I kept asking myself if this was actually for a Hotel or for a well off private Family spa! The changing rooms (ladies) are superbly designed! I loved the shower floor and all that went with the room. there were hooks to hang towels, lockers, one WC etc. BUT.. Nice Feeling in there. HOOKS!!! There were no hooks elsewhere at the pool area, at the three showers, near the pool and no hooks to hang your towel before entering the turkish (steam) bath! Where was the towel to be hanged? I had to squeeze it at a Corner hoping germs from sleepers would not be there! The Sauna ... I went in alone and for my size of medium size 168cm, 54 KGs.. I fet the room was full! The Sauna should be for 4 People they write but then the couples must be very good friend because even if they sit like toast bread... they will not be comfortable! Those sitting on the lowerbank need to sit between the legs of the one on top..I had to measure it! Ca.170 x 120 cms and the wooden Banks were so narrow I kep burning from the sides!The glass hour did not have callibrations anymore and so when half the time had gone, my biological watch for Sauna told me, i was there too Long... I like the 10-12 min x3... I came out and looked at the big wall clock outside and realized I had been there almost 15 minutes!! The rules say, you must use a Swimming costum at the Turkish bath and at the Sauna!!! How was I gonna sweet! Well when I was alone inside the Sauna, I took off my swiming costume! I was wondering where the swiming People looked in the Sauna soo much! I noticed much later the glass is soo clear one can see the nails!!! There is no COOOLING shower, Bathtab or otherwise when one come from the Sauna! The showers provided are normal.....
I used the turkish only bath onces, because when I was waiting for a second round, I saw a couple go in with their swimmers and towels and the plastic bathroom sleepers! YAK! can you imagine the bacteria field there and how dirty! But perhaps this is a thing of the portuegues! This fantastic beautiful about 35 year old Lady came when I had finished my ritual, Jacuzzi, Sauna, jaccuzi, Sauna broken with a swim of 10 minutes.... I was reaxing.. then I saw her dissapear into the Sauna with only her Swimming costum! she stayed.. 3-4 minutes... came out. entered the turkish bath....5 minutes.. came out..entered the Sauna! my stomach turned! I went to the Young man who was on duty and told him to please teach and explain properly how to use the Sauna! I requested him to clearly go tell the Lady to use her towell on the wooden Banks! He only told me he is sorry.. he did nothing!!! The three sitting places at the turkish bath were modern plastic.... but inside the room there was no tap water to rince before siting!

The Jaccuzzi/whirlpool... LOL!!! It must have been the first ones die tempi passatti! ! It is the type that just boils and bubbles over like making a chicken broth! There were no back massage jets anywhere just bubbles and only down on the floor of it, there was a Jet which I think brought in the water and could be used to massage the foot but was not built especially for that! Again this is just enough for 4 People but not middle size americans whom we know their bodies are abit round and generous. OH! The Jacuzzi was COLD!

The Pool is beautiful and clean and the area has Roof shafts to see the sky so really beautiful! But this brings echo sounds the Moment there is noise.... like the three Kids on saturday! Yet it is written all over to keep quiet people are relaxing! Well, this is not a relaxing area when there are families with Kids! Ther irony of the pool! It is all around 150 cms deep! Most middle age ladies and men (from 50...70) in Portugal are not soo tall! That looked very funny when they found they cannot use the pool since they cannot stand!!! It is not a pleasure to swim in this pool! It should have a deep end and a shallow end!
I would have loved to use the Special Tropical shower, more comfortable without Holding my towel on the wall and making it soo wet, The main Problem was, once more no hook anywhere!Should one walk completely naked to use the showers in the ool area by walking from the entrance side of the changing rooms or if lucky to have got one of the 6 Relaxing pool beds that are available!

To me the pool area is meant for 3 couples since the Relaxing pools beds/Stones will be fully occupied! There are 4 Rattan pool beds and 2 Stones pool beds.The water was not so welcoming.. I think it is because it was slighly colder than most indoor pools. So it did not create a good Feeling. I swam round the pool and I did not find any massaging jets anywhere!

Yes, the Provision of a bath Mantel in the room, a large towel at the spa made one feel comfortable but.. if the pool is for Family use with Kids.. it should be separated from the Sauna and the other Services so that these can be used the normal way!.

If they could just correct a few things... yes... it s a wonderful Hotel. There is ample parking if you are driving. Not far from the Sanctuary for the pilgrims. The irony of the voucher to use 2 hours a day to relax is more a parody!

I could not use thier massage Service because they clossed too early. Breakfast had fresh Food! Fantastic. Beds are made in late afternoon towards evening!!!! So no need to put do not disturb sign! LOL!!!
I would consider coming back if the carpet is away, and use of spa rules Change..and they have a teacher showing those who do not know how and what to do at the spa!!. I think it is quite unhealthy at the Moment in those three places, Jaccuzzi, Sauna and turkish bath!

Room Tip: The rooms facing toward the sanctuary should be quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sofie13
SicaH, Guest Relations Manager at Dom Goncalo Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Guest,

The management of the Hotel Dom Gonçalo greatly appreciates the comments you made ​​to your experience and deeply regrets all the aspects you mention as not so positive.

We present our apologies for the fact that the room has not lived up to your expectations and that the reception staff did not give you another room with double bed at your request. We would like however to mention that the mattresses of the single beds have the following measurements: 1 meter wide by 2 meters long.

As for your comments on the Spa, we truly appreciated them and we will surely provide for the placement of hangers and do so that future customers have a good experience and enjoy this feature of the Hotel. Thank you and hope you visit us again.

Kindest regards,