“solo trip to lisbon”

Living Lounge Hostel
Ranked #17 of 420 Speciality Lodging in Lisbon
“solo trip to lisbon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

great location ,great staff, very friendly and helpful, loved the room but needed ear plugs to cut out noise of people coming and going till very late, mainly due to wooden floors and clanging doors. apart from this its a great place and would stay there again, great value. thanks

Room Tip: not next to bathroom
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

This place was recommended to me by a friend who had a great stay. I'm not a huge hostel person, but this place was great!!! It is very well run, clean, and had so many fun activities. The activities I enjoyed while at the Hostel were the Fado Night, a walking tour, and a delicious home cooked Portugese meal by the Hostel Chef, Antonio. Everyone here was so friendly and helpful. The location was also central and close to everything. It was literally less than a minutes walk to the closest metro station. I will definitely be staying here again on my next visit to the beautiful Lisbon.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Even with the stellar rating on Tripadvisor, I was skeptical before traveling to Lisbon and staying at the Living Lounge hostel. You see, I figured I was "too old" for a hostel (I'm 37) and "too high maintenance" for a hostel (I travel for business a bit which I figured had softened me from my hostel days--"share a bathroom! the horror!") I had actually booked at a hotel further from the center, but cancelled that and stayed here.

A little history about me as a traveller. The last time I stayed at a hostel was 10+ years ago, in Dublin, in a dormitory style room. I recall waking up surprised that what I thought was a female-only room was filled with men. The bathroom was kind of musty and though acceptable, not quite clean. Aside from that experience, 5 years prior to that, I had traveled around Europe while studying abroad and hit a few hostels then. Since that time, much of my travel has been for work, staying at corporate hotels. Even when I was a scrappy college student, I was still pretty particular about my surroundings. That's just how I am. I like to think of myself as low maintenance, but in reality, I'm not. And I've accepted that--we can't all be intrepid travelers. At any rate, back to the review. I just think that should someone like myself read this, it helps to know who is reviewing and how applicable their experience is to yours.

So, it is with that history that I decided to stay at the Living Lounge in a private single room. Well, long story short, I couldn't have been happier. Really. I almost am trying to think of something I didn't like. I arrived on the late side (around 11 pm), and was greeted cheerfully, helped to my room, and given a tour of the facility. I then settled in to relax after a LONG day of walking around the city after my overnight flight. Let me do the "high maintenance" "old person" persnickety review of the particulars:

Room: small, but spacious enough. Had a coat rack, mirror, chair and table, provided towel, safe, and air conditioner. The a/c worked very well, which was great for me because I like a cold room. The only thing I could complain about is the bed and pillow--think lower end Ikea. I mean, not awful--I slept like a log--but certainly not cushy. Then again, this isn't the Ritz, but it doesn't charge Ritz prices either.

Bathrooms: I shouldn't have even worried about sharing a bathroom. A private bathroom was adjacent to my room, so it was almost like having my own, especially since it was so clean. I did use the multiple-person facility at the end of the hall when the "private" one was occupied, and there was no one else using it at the time. It was also clean and nice. There were plenty of facilities, so it never felt crowded. There was a wall hand dryer, if you need a hair dryer (but I didn't try it). Soap and shampoo were provided in dispensers (if I recall correctly).

Breakfast: I ate breakfast everyday at the hostel--it was perfect for me. A crepe with nutella, cheese on a roll, coffee, juice, and I'm ready to go. They also had cereal. If you're looking for something more than that, there are plenty of places nearby.

Activities: I didn't partake of any of the activities offered, though the staff alerted me to them. I had friends staying elsewhere, so I more or less was just there at night. Similarly, I never sampled the dinner offered that seems very popular.

Noise: In general, I was not bothered by noise. There were one or two occasions where I heard something happening in the lobby (like music playing) or people outside going to their room, but not anything to truly bother me. And that is saying a lot, because I am the type of person easily bothered by noise. Ask my neighbors from college. I did use ear plugs, however. I do that even in high end hotels, though.

Clientele: I didn't spend much time in the common areas, and when I did (breakfast) people seemed to mostly keep with their own group. I'm sure if I'd made slightly more of an effort, I could have struck up a conversation, but it wasn't as I have previously experienced at hostels, where everyone is sharing travel stories or asking where others are from. There definitely was not the party atmosphere of some hostels (and to me, that's a good thing). I am a horrible judge of age, but I'd say most were in their mid 20s or so.

Cleanliness: As I previously noted in the bathroom, the place is kept very clean. The room was also clean, and I believe my trash at least was emptied daily. Never once did I find anything "suspect" in the entire place.

Security: I always felt safe. The front door is entered by being buzzed in by reception and there are key cards for the rooms. The area surrounding the hostel is very safe.

Location: absolutely perfect. Hop, skip and jump from the metro, within the historic center, and an easy walk to everything Lisbon has to offer.

I really don't know anything else I can add--it was a great stay, and I'd go back in a heartbeat!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in the dream room--it was nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank PlangalDC
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I dont know how to explain everything in here.
Its perfect place for tourist!
Place is perfect!
Staff are wonderful!
Beds and pillow everything is clean
Bath rooms are clean
Toilets are clean
Breakfast is so yummy

If i have chance to fly to Lisbon again,
I wil stay at this place again.

Thank you so much for your hospitality.

If I have chance to

Room Tip: Book earlier!! YOu will love this place!!! ^^
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Everything was perfect!
Fantastic location, good rooms, great service and breakfast (which was inclusive). The hostel has amazing decor and art and the facilities are excellent. There are daily activities on offer, bikes that can be hired and a general fun vibe all round. We loved our time here and would have loved to stay longer.

• Stayed September 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

From the email replies, the welcome and the general helpful information the service was exceptional. The establishment is faultless and airs a certain groovy vibe that emulates from the staff to the patrons and beyond.

My wife and I stayed here sadly for only two nights. The location was superb for walking to various attractions, the waterfront and designer shopping all within minutes walking distance. The area is safe with a metro stop only a few metres from the front door. We opted on using the taxi from the airport which was 22 euro (Later Saturday night pickup).

We hired bikes from the hostel for one of the mornings and covered a great amount of distance to get photos and walked everywhere the next day. This place has some very groovy ideas with cooking classes, eat in dinners, FADA tour and the like.

I'm not going to keep going on about how good it is but will say that this for us is how you make accommodation fun, we would only stay here when next in Lisbon and would recommend to all our friends.

Tots awesome!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the living lounge hostel for 2 nights during the period of August, after a really bad experience in another hostel in Lisbon. We felt immediately really happy about our choice of changing hostel. The people of the hostel are really nice, the rooms are really comfortable and cool, everything is really clean and the shower is well organize, with hot water and a lot of space. Tthe breakfast is included, and usually they prepare creeps for the hosts! We loved that place

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends