“Family-based restaurant”

Malmequer Bemmequer
Ranked #756 of 4,047 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: European, Portuguese
Good for: Romantic, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
London, United Kingdom
“Family-based restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

I came here because of the good reviews from several websites including TA. the restaurant is quite small, with few tables. it is locked normally, and you will need to ring the bell, then the owner will open the door for you. grilled sardines was too salty for me. the breads and the olives served were expensive.

• Visited March 2014

Berlin, Germany
“trap for tourist”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I am in Lisbon since one month and that war the worst experience
is a trap for tourist
I could not choose for the wine and later I saw the wine list
I payed nearly twice what I could pay in others place : a lot for what I had

• Visited March 2014
New York
“My favorite Lisbon restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

My sister and I decided on this restaurant for our last night in Lisbon because (a) it was next to our guest house, (b) we had read favorable reviews, and (c) we were charmed by the hand-painted sign with the daisies. On a cold mid-January night, we were the only diners until around 9:30 pm (being Americans, we are accustomed to dinner much earlier in the evening). We spent a good 2.5 hours in Malmequer Bemmequer, every minute of it pleasurable.

To commence our dinner, we ordered the cured meat, cheese and olives plate, which came with a delicious assortment of breads and garlic butter. We requested a bottle of the house red wine, and I'm sorry I don't recall the name of it because it was excellent.

My sister ordered the mushrooms and a soup, while I was craving red meat and ordered the lamb. It was the most succulent, perfectly seasoned lamb I've had in a long time, if ever, and I had to exert considerable effort to restrain myself from gnawing at the bones. My sister's mushrooms were excellent with a delicate, buttery sauce. I added a few to the rice dish that accompanied my lamb.

We were thoroughly crushed when the dessert menu arrived as we could not possibly eat any further, and everything looked so enticing. If I had known about the dessert menu, I would have skipped our appetizers.

As for the service, we found our waiter to be courteous, politely reserved, and unintrusive. We didn't have anywhere to go and he seemed content to let us sit and talk over a leisurely meal. Based on my one experience, I would not recommend dining here if you are rushing off to another nightlife event. This is a great restaurant for experiencing well-prepared food in a casual manner. As far as ambiance is concerned, the decor is simple, tasteful and uncluttered. The prices are far below what one would pay in the U.S. for a commensurate meal in this type of restaurant setting.

I cannot recommend Malmequer Bemmequer enough, and will certainly return again.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Traveller2010NYC
London
“As good as ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was our third visit to this lovely restaurant and we were not disappointed. We were the only diners on this occasion but we did not feel uncomfortable. The owner greeted us warmly and sat us at a table with a view out to the street so we could watch the world go by.
The food is as good as ever, nothing fancy, just good quality, tasty traditional Portuguese dishes....the fish kebabs were as wonderful as I remember. There is a great wine list, all reasonably priced and nothing that will break the bank. We had an excellent Portuguese wine for about €9.50.
I was very surprised to read the recent negative reviews because our experience of this restaurant has always been so good and this visit was no exception. I would advise trying it for yourself and making your own decision.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank McPidd
Mountain View, CA
“A nice spot in a charming neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

We arrived on a Saturday night at opening time and have no problems at all with service. The place was full by the time we left, with some people turned away because there was space reserved for a party of about 10 that was arriving later. I ordered the lamb, which was delicious. My husband had the pork. We were in a leisurely mood and not in any kind of hurry, but we did not think the service was slow (even though we are American!). Seemed a pretty good meal for the price.

• Visited May 2013