All reviewsmama's dinnerprivacy curtainsnightly dinnerliving roomhome away from homewalking tourcommon areasfree breakfastother guestsevery eveningstayed longerrooms are cleanlocation is greatbairro altometro stationmammamamas
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This has to be the most amazing hostel I have ever visited in my life. I have made best decision ever by cancelling my hotel booking and booked this hostel. As soon as I arrived, I was greeted with a liqueur shot. PERFECT. Joan at reception has be the most friendliest guy I have ever met on whole of my trip. I made friends all over the world staying at this hostel. Breakfast is amazing, gutted I missed momma's dinner,however i did apologise to her personally as I was there only for three days and use to arrive late night. Will visit this place soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hostel was one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. Me and my friend stayed in a 4-bed room. The rooms were fresh and clean, and the hostel also had a washing/drying room for your clothes, a great kitchen, a small balcony in the kitchen, a great livingroom, a great bar and a computer-room.

The hostel has a "mammas dinner" that we unfortunately missed. The owners mother comes every night to cook and for a small price you'll get genuine home-cooked meal. The atmosphere in this hostel is hard to see anywhere else. Everyone eats together, drinks together and it's easy to make new friends. During the evening the reception turns into a bar and the drinks are super cheap.

What makes this hostel so special is the staff. It's amazing how they've found a group of people doing their job so well and what seems so effortless. Everyone is incredibly helpful and genuin.
Stay here if you come to Lisbon!

Room Tip: Stay in dorms to meet great people.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank feeedyourmind
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My 3 friends and I are all over 40...we were also doing some hiking and stayed at some other hostels so we decided to stay in one while we were sightseeing in Lisbon. Best decision ever!!! This place has it DOWN to the last detail. I tell you my age because most people think of hostels as something for the youngsters who are exploring the world fresh out of college...and yes, we were probably among the older visitors at the Home Hostel. However, we were made to feel so at home that this was immediately forgotten after check-in. Friendly and extremely helpful staff, always. For a very reasonable rate you get a secure building in a great area of downtown Lisbon. There are only 4 beds in a room...the beds are large bunk beds of very solid wood. The resemble old train car bunks--the lower bunks have their own privacy curtains. Each bed has its own light and electrical outlet and a small shelf for phones, etc. Each bunk also has a very large storage drawer which all my stuff fit easily. Linens are very clean and fresh. You also get breakfast included in the morning from 8-10am. Eggs, coffee, juice, cereal, yogurt, bread\toast, sausage. I still do not understand how they make a profit:) Pains have been taken for cleanliness throughout the whole building. There is a large kitchen and a refrigerator anyone can use to store food. There is also a system which you can leave leftover food for other guests if you wish, or peruse leftover unused food left by others which is a great idea to keep from wasting food. There is a cozy reading\TV\music room with lots of comfy couches. Also a bar\dining area, where if you choose, you can pay 10 Euros and get a 3 course homemade meal every night, cooked by Mamma herself. It is not to be missed!!!! At the dinner it is a great time to meet your fellow travelers--the wine flows and is included in the cost of dinner. There are nice laundry facilities, and super clean shared restrooms and shower rooms. Even the wooden floors in the shower room were thoughtful...they seemed much cleaner and "less gross" than normal old tile floors. I would walk on them with bare feet no problem!!! This place has a great reputation and deservedly so--they really do work hard to make you feel like you are in a home away from home. So, whether you're in your twenties, or you just want to relive your twenties like we did, GO FOR IT!!!! This place is fantastic, you will not be disappointed. Thank you to Mamma, Juan, and Andre...you are all fantastic hosts.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The home Lisbon hostel has received a long list of awards these last few years, and no doubt they were very well deserved! The numerous thank you words sent to Mama are excellent testimonies too!

The hostel is ideally located only a few hundred meters away from the metro station Baxia Chiado. It's also very close to the heart of Lisbon life: la Praça do Comércio, the San Justa lift, la Praça da Figueira, and last but not least the great and popular Alfama neighbourhood, easily accessible from the Sao Nicolau street via the famous tram 28.

The hostel occupies the second and fourth flours of a house building. As soon, as you cross the reception door, believe me you'll feel at home. Nothing to do with one of these huge hostels without any personality nor charm, where you're just there to spend a night. No, at the Home Lisbon hostel, expect to be warmly welcomed by one of the dynamic and very friendly member of the team, who will guide you through a short tour of the place, give you some tips, and enthusiastically answer all your questions.

The place itself its quite unique, and has obviously been very recently completed refreshed without having negatively affected its atmosphere and "old" charm. In front of a nice wooden bar, a long common table and a few other round ones occupies what is nothing else like Mama's living room, with lots of family pictures on the walls.

Enjoy as well the nice and cosy common room equipped with comfortable sofas, a huge TV screen, a few instruments, and many books to read, borrow or exchange.

The dormitories themselves are simple, but comfortable, and perfectly clean. Worth mentioning that they are all air-conditioned, such as the full hostel. The common showers and toilets are simply the cleanest I've ever seen at whaterver time I went there. This certainly had to do with the respectful mentality of the guests but also of the hard work of the hostel team.

The hostels and bedrooms are also very secured thanks to magnetic cards.

But the Home Lisbon hostel would not be what it is without the Mama: a very charming, friendly and energetic woman who treats her guests like family members. A proof? Her generous and delicious dinners, with wine and a small glass of Porto, Moscatel or Ginginha included! Every evening, enjoy for only 10 euros a 3 course Portuguese meal, prepared every day with fresh and seasonal ingredients. It's every day different, but always as good and as pleasant.

Breakfast included are also spectacular for a youth hostel: variety of breads and jams, cured meat, eggs, cheese, yoghurts, cereals...

Lastly, I was maybe lucky, but all the people I met there were just fantastic travellers from all over the world. No party and loudly party animals living the night, and sleeping most of the day, but real travellers wanting to discover and enjoy new countries and cultures.

If you also take into account the very reasonable price for such a good accommodation, and all what is sold there, I would just VERY STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU THIS AMAZING HOSTEL. Probably the best I've ever been to!

Room Tip: Travelling to Lisbon? Then don't wait any second, and book a room in this magic place!
1  Thank globetrotauvergnat
Reviewed 8 June 2014

What can I say...

I can only be positive about this hostel. Great atmosphere, nice and interested staff, best location, excellent rooms, awesome showers, clean, homy, cosy, great people and mamma's dinner is the best!

Keep up the good work guys!

2  Thank Karin1988