All reviewsmama's dinnerprivacy curtainsnightly dinnerliving roomhome away from homewalking tourcommon areasfree breakfastother guestsevery eveningstayed longerrooms are cleanlocation is greatbairro altometro stationmammamamas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Prior to booking Home Lisbon Hostel, I read many of the outstanding reviews. I thought, surely it can not be as good as everyone is saying; and yet it is. This is an outstanding hostel in every respect. The staff are welcoming, friendly, always willing to offer advice and totally professional. Their attention to detail and hospitality is second to none; nothing is too much trouble. I must also mention the wonderful Mama and her delicious home-cooked dinners! A huge thank you to the whole staff for a truly wonderful week. You are all amazing! (Michael K )

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Home Lisbon Hostel was the best hostel experience that my husband and I had our entire pack backing trip! When we arrived we were greeted with a shot of Jinjina (Cherry liqueur), it was awesome. We were then asked what the purpose of our trip was and we explained that it was a stop on our honeymoon, well we got yet another shot to say congrats! Hillarious and awesome all at the same time.

The rooms were so clean and the bathrooms were spacious and clean as well. Loved the layout and the people working there were all so amazing. Our first night there, my husband and I wanted to go out to get a bite to eat but hate those touristy restaurants so we asked one of the guys who worked there to recommend a spot. He got a map out and googled directions for us. Guided us to a fantastic Portuguese restaurant that specialized in hot stone cooking. You order this dish and it comes with 4 pieces of thinly sliced raw steak, a hot stone and some sauces to dip your steak into, oh and fries! It was delicious!

The hostel also had "mama" whom cooked supper for the guests if they wanted to stay in and enjoy some delicious Portuguese home cooking. It did not cost very much and the menu always sounded amazing.

They had a kitchen that everyone was allowed to use and the hostel included breakfast which was a great touch!

We would go back in a heartbeat and recommend it highly!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This has to be the most amazing hostel I have ever visited in my life. I have made best decision ever by cancelling my hotel booking and booked this hostel. As soon as I arrived, I was greeted with a liqueur shot. PERFECT. Joan at reception has be the most friendliest guy I have ever met on whole of my trip. I made friends all over the world staying at this hostel. Breakfast is amazing, gutted I missed momma's dinner,however i did apologise to her personally as I was there only for three days and use to arrive late night. Will visit this place soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hostel was one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. Me and my friend stayed in a 4-bed room. The rooms were fresh and clean, and the hostel also had a washing/drying room for your clothes, a great kitchen, a small balcony in the kitchen, a great livingroom, a great bar and a computer-room.

The hostel has a "mammas dinner" that we unfortunately missed. The owners mother comes every night to cook and for a small price you'll get genuine home-cooked meal. The atmosphere in this hostel is hard to see anywhere else. Everyone eats together, drinks together and it's easy to make new friends. During the evening the reception turns into a bar and the drinks are super cheap.

What makes this hostel so special is the staff. It's amazing how they've found a group of people doing their job so well and what seems so effortless. Everyone is incredibly helpful and genuin.
Stay here if you come to Lisbon!

Room Tip: Stay in dorms to meet great people.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank feeedyourmind
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My 3 friends and I are all over 40...we were also doing some hiking and stayed at some other hostels so we decided to stay in one while we were sightseeing in Lisbon. Best decision ever!!! This place has it DOWN to the last detail. I tell you my age because most people think of hostels as something for the youngsters who are exploring the world fresh out of college...and yes, we were probably among the older visitors at the Home Hostel. However, we were made to feel so at home that this was immediately forgotten after check-in. Friendly and extremely helpful staff, always. For a very reasonable rate you get a secure building in a great area of downtown Lisbon. There are only 4 beds in a room...the beds are large bunk beds of very solid wood. The resemble old train car bunks--the lower bunks have their own privacy curtains. Each bed has its own light and electrical outlet and a small shelf for phones, etc. Each bunk also has a very large storage drawer which all my stuff fit easily. Linens are very clean and fresh. You also get breakfast included in the morning from 8-10am. Eggs, coffee, juice, cereal, yogurt, bread\toast, sausage. I still do not understand how they make a profit:) Pains have been taken for cleanliness throughout the whole building. There is a large kitchen and a refrigerator anyone can use to store food. There is also a system which you can leave leftover food for other guests if you wish, or peruse leftover unused food left by others which is a great idea to keep from wasting food. There is a cozy reading\TV\music room with lots of comfy couches. Also a bar\dining area, where if you choose, you can pay 10 Euros and get a 3 course homemade meal every night, cooked by Mamma herself. It is not to be missed!!!! At the dinner it is a great time to meet your fellow travelers--the wine flows and is included in the cost of dinner. There are nice laundry facilities, and super clean shared restrooms and shower rooms. Even the wooden floors in the shower room were thoughtful...they seemed much cleaner and "less gross" than normal old tile floors. I would walk on them with bare feet no problem!!! This place has a great reputation and deservedly so--they really do work hard to make you feel like you are in a home away from home. So, whether you're in your twenties, or you just want to relive your twenties like we did, GO FOR IT!!!! This place is fantastic, you will not be disappointed. Thank you to Mamma, Juan, and Andre...you are all fantastic hosts.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends