“An awesome hostel”

Ranked #2 of 445 Speciality Lodging in Lisbon
Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
“An awesome hostel”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was the second hostel I've ever stayed in, and I left with a very good feeling, in spite of staying there for only one night (I actually came back there to use the computer for free during the following days ;)).

The hostel is very well located, in the Bairro Alto, and it is very nice inside, decorated in a modern way and looking almost like a hotel. The living room was welcoming as well as the reception. The bathroom was shared with all the residents on the same floor, which was a weak point of the hostel. Bunk beds really comfortable and rooms spacious.

The people working there were young and friendly as well, and the hostel organises pubcrawls and beach tours, though I didn't have the chance to try any of these.

Overall, I'd say it was a great hostel but the price is excessive (26€/night!), and I actually stayed there because it was the only hostel where I found a bed available.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kerry, Ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2014

There are four flights of stairs to climb to your room, so it’s sometimes better to wait for the elevator, especially if you have been walking all day.

Each bed has an individual bedside lamp and socket for charging phone etc. There are large underbed drawers with space for a padlock if you wish.

The toilets and showers are spacious and clean. However, I am surprised that they are not unisex. I was in a room (401) right beside the boy’s bathroom, but had to walk about 15 doors away to get to the girls’ one.

Breakfast consists of juice, tea, coffee, bread, toast, cereal, yogurt and scrambled eggs. It was really tasty!

You pay €5 deposit for your key wristband, which is used for both your bedroom and front door. This is very handy as I generally don’t like fumbling in my handbag for a key card, especially when the area of Rua Sao Nicolau is full of tourists, and therefore pickpockets too.

The one thing I will say is that the 8 bed dorms are warm rooms, so bring plenty of water with you to bed. This is the same in most Portuguese hostels during the month of August anyway! There was an a/c unit in the room but never turned on. One window in an L-shaped room did not give enough air for me.

The reason I deduct a star from Home Lisbon Hostel is because I was staying for two nights and when I checked in I was told to go to bed no 1. I presumed this would be my bed for both nights. The next day I was having a sieta and was awoken by a girl who had been told that she was in fact in bed no 1. So downstairs at reception, we tried to see what was happening as all the other beds in the room were full. The girl at the desk didn’t know why I was asked to shift beds and says there was a problem with the computer or booking system. It was all sorted out, (cleaners had gone but the bed sheets were changed anyway) but I lost an hour of my time and that shouldn’t have been the case. Either tell people at check in whether or not they will be required to move, or let them stay in their original bed!

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My cousin and I stayed here for 6 nights and had the most amazing time. An incredibly social and friendly environment with nightly three course meals with the rest of the "family" on offer for a reasonable ten euros (I recommend doing this at least once!). Very good value for money. Great wifi all throughout and in rooms. Good A/C in rooms too. Overall a 10/10 rating - anyone going to Lisbon, no matter what your budget, you need to stay here!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was awarded as the best small or medium (can't recall) hostel in the world? I really wondered why, so as a quite experienced traveler and having had visited dozens of hostels worldwide, I decided to try it on a weekend break in Lisbon, and guess what, I definitely understand it why it is considered the best and have so many 100% reviews! The atmosphere and the warm welcome explain it! I can't say it is the best, I've been in many perfect hostels, but I can't find a single negative thing! 5*

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Definitely one of the best hostels we have stayed in. Some of the fantastic features include: free breakfast, awesome common areas with couches, TV, movie, outside patio, computers. Kitchen is good size and has everything you need. The dorm rooms have large lockers on wheels below the beds which means you can put your whole bag in and lock it easily. The below bunks have dark curtains which mean you don’t have to worry about the light. Reading lights and chargers for each bed. Bathrooms are clean and nice. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, nothing is ever a problem. Mamma’s dinner is a highlight for sure, she is an amazing lady, and cooks a mean meal as well! Make sure you reserve a place as it fills up (both the dinner and the hostel in general). It definitely feels like a home.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megan K
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

The Staff is incredibile , always smiling :) the hostel is Like a luxurious hostel For cheap , the Room was the best in 70 hostels i visited , bathroom and shower really good and so clean - very very cool common and relaxing area , really cooooool location - and then the mamma ... When u arrive please book her dinner :) see u soon guys ... I had the best night ever Whit the pub crowl - thanks also to thiago that organize d the pub crowl ... Miss u

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank iLoveTravel27
Perth
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I loved Home Hostel, it is seriously the best one that i have ever stayed in. I had a migraine and the staff were so helpful and nice. I love the fact that the social spaces are on a separate floor to the dorms and there is great security, with electronic bracelets and security cameras in open spaces.

It's in a really good part of Lisbon and walking distance to everything including trains.

Seriously seriously fantastic! Loved staying here and the staff are amazing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo