“Just amazing!”

Ranked #2 of 446 Speciality Lodging in Lisbon
Munich
“Just amazing!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I've been to Lisbon for 5 days and luckily stayed at the Home Lisbon Hostel. Everything was clean, the staff was amazingly friendly and the people there were great! Mamma's dinner is a must and everyone enjoyed it! I can highly recommend to stay at this hostel and enjoy the great atmosphere! Join the wild walkers tour in the mornings!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ottawa
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Home hostel, as stated in many of these reviews, had a nice vibe too it. The rooms had Air Con, lockers, and were clean. The bar is cheap (1-2 euro beers, 1 euro shots) so it's a great option to get buckled. However, don't get it twisted, it's still cheaper to buy alcohol from the corner store.

The daily beach tour offered by Home Hostel is a rip off (~15 euro). I would highly recommend organizing your own day trip to the beach and travel on your own time. Front desk will guide you accordingly, recommending the proper beach and train to take.

Mamas Dinner was extremely mediocre. it also takes a hell of a long time (2.5-3 hours). Go for a few darts before courses to pass the time. You definitely need to plan your entire evening around this so I would recommend skipping it! Also, if you're staying here on Mama's Day off (i believe Tuesday) beware, the staff become animals. Walked in on a few staff members partaking in Intercourse in the public bathrooms and a staff member giving away free drinks at the bar.
Mama - if you're reading this, Figure It Out.

Overall, great stay here, would recommend to anyone travelling to Lisbon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My wife and I like to stay at hostels. Not only are they incredibly affordable, but they are a great way to meet other travelers and bond with people from all over the globe. Home Lisbon Hostel is by far the most amazing hostel we've ever been to. The rooms were immaculate, and I would say down right beautiful. The lounge was bright and charming. The staff was incredibly helpful and nice. There were free breakfasts that were far more substantive than any free breakfast I've ever gotten at a hostel. The best part, however, were the dinners. Mama, the mother of the hostel's owner, would could meals every night. For just 10 Euro, you got a 3 course meal with unlimited wine and beer and a shot of port or ginjinha (my personal preference) at the end. They were a great time for socializing and experiencing authentic, delicious, Portuguese home cooking. I truly can't say enough superlatives about this place!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
cairo
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Once you arrive, you'll just feel at home ..everyone there is super friendly specially the staff and of course Mama.
make sure not to miss Mama's dinner it was amazing , rooms were clean and spacious,
showers and bathrooms were spotless.

central location and the tours were fun :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Lyon, France
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I came here for a total of 3 nights with a friend. The hostel is great, spead out between 2 floors one for the common areas and the upper floor for the rooms. Everything is very clean, the staff are amazing, beds with big lockers underneath free locks provided, lamps, privacy curtains on bottom. Free wifi. We did not do the beach trip but if we had time definitely would have! The beach near is hostel is not a real beach cannot swim. Mama's dinner is really fun and only 10 euros. Only one critique, need real orange juice at breakfast not the powder stuff! We were sick during most of our stay and this was still our favorite hostel. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was the second hostel I've ever stayed in, and I left with a very good feeling, in spite of staying there for only one night (I actually came back there to use the computer for free during the following days ;)).

The hostel is very well located, in the Bairro Alto, and it is very nice inside, decorated in a modern way and looking almost like a hotel. The living room was welcoming as well as the reception. The bathroom was shared with all the residents on the same floor, which was a weak point of the hostel. Bunk beds really comfortable and rooms spacious.

The people working there were young and friendly as well, and the hostel organises pubcrawls and beach tours, though I didn't have the chance to try any of these.

Overall, I'd say it was a great hostel but the price is excessive (26€/night!), and I actually stayed there because it was the only hostel where I found a bed available.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Kerry, Ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2014

There are four flights of stairs to climb to your room, so it’s sometimes better to wait for the elevator, especially if you have been walking all day.

Each bed has an individual bedside lamp and socket for charging phone etc. There are large underbed drawers with space for a padlock if you wish.

The toilets and showers are spacious and clean. However, I am surprised that they are not unisex. I was in a room (401) right beside the boy’s bathroom, but had to walk about 15 doors away to get to the girls’ one.

Breakfast consists of juice, tea, coffee, bread, toast, cereal, yogurt and scrambled eggs. It was really tasty!

You pay €5 deposit for your key wristband, which is used for both your bedroom and front door. This is very handy as I generally don’t like fumbling in my handbag for a key card, especially when the area of Rua Sao Nicolau is full of tourists, and therefore pickpockets too.

The one thing I will say is that the 8 bed dorms are warm rooms, so bring plenty of water with you to bed. This is the same in most Portuguese hostels during the month of August anyway! There was an a/c unit in the room but never turned on. One window in an L-shaped room did not give enough air for me.

The reason I deduct a star from Home Lisbon Hostel is because I was staying for two nights and when I checked in I was told to go to bed no 1. I presumed this would be my bed for both nights. The next day I was having a sieta and was awoken by a girl who had been told that she was in fact in bed no 1. So downstairs at reception, we tried to see what was happening as all the other beds in the room were full. The girl at the desk didn’t know why I was asked to shift beds and says there was a problem with the computer or booking system. It was all sorted out, (cleaners had gone but the bed sheets were changed anyway) but I lost an hour of my time and that shouldn’t have been the case. Either tell people at check in whether or not they will be required to move, or let them stay in their original bed!

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo