“They'll still get business”
Review of Taverna del Rey

Taverna del Rey
Ranked #3,757 of 4,411 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Reviewed 19 February 2014

A rip off on the food. 148 Euros for two and not very nice food. However I suspect they don't get much repeat business. They advertise they open at 6;30, which is why we chose the place but actually they only get started around 8 to 8:30 like everywhere else.

The show was good, the guitar and the lovely strange instrument were brilliant. The guitarist and the young lady performer sang in a way that complemented the instruments, but the two older ladies overpowered the musicians and it was less enjoyable then.

1  Thank Whirlers

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Summary/verdict:
This is a small traditional Fado restaurant located in Alfama, the Fado restaurants area by default. The place is well decorated and cleverly iluminated. The people there are nice and so is the Fado. I got a deal from a group buying site so I had not price hassles as described here in other reviews, although I feel the list prices are high. I could return here if I get a similar deal as I enjoyed the place, the hospitality and the show, even if I was not fan of the food – nonetheless I enjoyed the evening very much and so did my wife.

Detailed review:

Location:
Alfama - as with other restaurants in the area, not so easy to park close but after some gymnastics it's doable. If you're a foreigner, any taxi can take you there no sweat

Place:
Small house, owned by one of the artists, Maria José (Jo-Jo as I heard someone call her), a silver-hair nice lady with a husky voice (which gave her a characteristic powerful singing tone). The place is well decorated and well kept

Food:
The poor part of the evening... I've eaten better (in quantity and quality) in other places, inclusively Fado houses, nonetheless I can't say it was bad! It just could be better given the price tag. The house wine is not so good also if you’re a wine lover. If you just need something to help push the food down, it does the trick.

Entertainment:
Fado music - traditional Portuguese music style which mixes Classic guitar and Portuguese guitar (a solist which keeps doing melodic solos througout the song) with arabic influence singing. The artists were not famous, but they were in tune and I enjoyed particularly Catia (a young lady singer), Jose Guimaraes (the classic guitar guy who also sang some songs, I believe some originals with powerfull lyrics - too bad foreigners won't understand a word) and the owner, Jo-Jo. If you’re looking for good guitar performance, I would advise the ‘Clube do Fado’; if you’re looking for famous or soon-to-be, the ‘Sr. Vinho’ has one of the best track records; if you’re looking for a differentiated show, including not only Fado but also traditional Portuguese dancing and other singing styles, then ‘Pateo de Alfama’ is the place. At Taverna you get a more intimist experience.

Prices:
From what I could tell, very high, especially the drinks. I'm glad I got a nice deal beforehand with a group buying site so the whole thing (for two) was about €39.90 (couvert, soups, main courses, desserts and a bottle of house wine 750ml). If we were paying the list prices, it would have easily been the double or more, which I recognize isn’t very appealing for first-time visitors expecting cheap prices or for those ones ‘enchanted by the music’ who only wake up to the sum of figures when the bill comes…

1  Thank PortugueseTurist
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

The music is lovely, the atmosphere and acoustic of the place are very good too! The food is fine, but not exceptional and it is absolutely overpriced.

Be clever and do not the the obligatory snacks before the meal - they will charge 5-10EURO per plate, so before you had your first dish, they'll have already charged you 20EURO.

Too bad the pricing, because it's actually a nice place...

3  Thank The_King_of_Harmony
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

First night in Alfama, walking thru the district and taking in the sights. We started to get hungry and were "pulled" in by a elderly guy. So far so good. Friendly so far. We started ordering with an Asian lady who's English seemed quite good. Schnitzel and garlic bread and some sodas (wine was 30,- a bottle). She brought us bread and cheese, salami as entree which I thought were included since we didn't ask for it. Then later after some entertainment in form of singing we got the mains..... And while I got my schnitzel, my friend ended up with substituted garlic gambas. The food was okay and all in all a average evening until the bill came. 5€ for the soda, 10€ for 10slices of salami, 5€ cheese, 5€ for the bread, 10€ for the music cover charge, 20€ for the garlic gamba, 18€ for my meal. I feel sad that this place manages to cloud the impression one has of this beautiful city. Don't go there.

2  Thank LeBobJr
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We wanted to experience fado and good food. The food was okay, but much too high priced. The singing was good, with different singers. The drinks were absolutely overpriced. And then came the bill: we had to pay € 7,50 for a few sips of white port. Again € 7,50 for a liqour presented as a gift! And € 10 for the music. And € 10 for olives. And ......

1  Thank Preintje