“Best tradeoff price quality”

Hotel Dom Afonso Henriques
Ranked #156 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 17 December 2011

- rooms are nenewed and clean.
- people is always kind and helpful
- breakfast is good
- 5 mins to metro station

OBS. don't beleive in the façade shown in google street view, cause they are outofdate.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank fredericoalvares

Reviewed 26 October 2011

Hotel DAH, as it is known, is a pleasant basic hotel.
Rooms: adequate, clean and have been remodeled in recently so they are up to date.
Baths: The one we had was rather small, but it was modern and clean. Our son had a larger bath.
TV: Nice flat screen TV's with good selection of cable channels.
Internet: Available but with an additional charge
Breakfast: Not to write home about, an average selection and fresh.
Staff: Friendly and obliging
Location: Right behind the "Parque Fonte Luminosa" where you can walk down through the park (3 minutes) to "Alameda" where there are taxis, buses and metro.
A reasonably priced hotel with good service and an overall nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AH-Terceira
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed there in August for some days. The hotel is close to the metro station to the city centre (the journey takes round 15 minutes). There is a very big terrace on the top of the hotel, from where you can enjoy a wonderful view on the town.
Service is good, breakfast very rich in food and in drinking. Personell is very kind and reception is busy all night. it is very helpful as well, they spea very good English and they give suggestions on what to do in Lissabon and in the area surrounding the town.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elisabetta V
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The best thing about this hotel is the fabulous restaurant across the street. I believe it was called Pepe and Olive. We ate there twice and they were probably the best meals we had during our three week stay in Spain, France and Portugal.

We arrived to discover that our reservation could not be found. This caused a lengthy delay (45+ minutes) and we weren't the only ones with lost / misplaced reservations. We were apparently upgraded to a larger room, but I couldn't tell. Internet isn't free. I had to pay 5 euros / day, and had to leave my driver's licence while I borrowed the ethernet cable. Breakfast is served upstairs, is nothing special. Even though Lisbon is not a large city, the location of the hotel is not the best. There is little to do in the surrounding area, and we spent a lot of time on the Metro (the nearest station is about a 5-10 walk).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank FlyAtNIght
Reviewed 18 June 2011

It's a perfectly pleasant hotel with new rooms and polite (if timid) staff. No complaints there. The location is a bit out of the way; Lisbon is a small city, and the hotel still manages to be far away from things.

However, I recommend finding another place to stay for two reasons:

1. When my fiancee and I first arrived in our room, I went to plug into my phone charger. There was, however, a piece of plastic stuck in the electrical socket hole which I went to remove. What I didn't realize is that a piece of metal was poking through the plastic, and when I touched it, I was shocked and collapsed to the ground in pain. Apparently it had been a piece of some previous guest's electrical object whose plug had not entirely been pulled out.

I ended up being OK, but I was pretty shaken up for the rest of the day -- and it could have turned out much worse if the shock had not been so brief. But when I described the event to the hotel staff, all that I was offered was a room change. Very little sense of how dangerous the situation was. The reception clerk even said she would send housekeeping up to deal with it. No! Metal extruding from an electrical socket is not the job of housekeeping; you need an electrician! I tried to explain this to her, with limited success. I hope the housekeeper didn't get shocked, too! This kind of problem is rare, fortunately, but it is also serious.

2. The showers are rather small, which would be OK except that the shower handle (controlling the water temperature and flow) is large and extrudes from the wall. Several times when I was showering I would accidentally knock this handle, often into the hot water direction. One time the handle got knocked so far toward the hot water direction that I got slightly burned on my back. A dangerous situation in which it is frustratingly easy to accidentally burn yourself.

(You may have this image of me as some wild man flinging his arms about in the shower, but I think I'm a pretty normal shower user. I mean, who knows such things, but I can guess. I'm thin for my height, so it's not a matter of size. Rather, the shower is small and the handle easy to accidentally hit. So if you stay here, beware!)

Of course, very few people will also encounter a live socket with extruding metal in their room -- or accidentally burn themselves in the shower. Rather, I would avoid the hotel for the cavalier attitude they appear to take toward safety.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank laser813
Reviewed 8 June 2011

This is a newly refurbished, modern hotel. The staff are great here. We got lots of good local advice. Get a taxi from the airport, it will cost you around ten euro.
The good: breakfast for €5. Underground parking. Vending machine. The staff. Location - 5 mins walk from 2 metro stations.
The bad: could use an ice machine, wifi isn't free, no wifi in rooms. That's about it. I can hardly fault this great hotel.

Room Tip: Always be nice to the staff.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JSprx
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Would have been excellent value for money until we were charged 8 euros per day to park in the hotel garage, despite the hotel's own brochure stating that the parking was free. We were told that this only applied for bookings made directly with the hotel, not through third parties. The use of the hotel computer for internet access is not free either 5 euros for 2 hours. When returning to the hotel by metro at night ensure that you head towards the fountain end of Jardim Alameda Dom Alfonso Henriques, not the instituto tecnico end where a number of ladies of the night were operating.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple