“One of the nicest hotel I have ever been”

Palacete Chafariz D'El Rei
Ranked #3 of 248 Lisbon B&B and Inns
founex
“One of the nicest hotel I have ever been”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

For a first time in Lisbon, this hotel represents everything one ever thought Portugal would be: culture, architecture, service, romantism. It is located up on the stairs of a very small street noone would find if it you did not know the direction.
Built in 1909, this place has been restaured during three years and is in a perfect state. It mixes very discretly modern and classic.
Only 6 suites, rooms big as a stadium, richly furnished with wonderful views. To be honest I would kiil to own such a place!
The breakfast is wonderful, so fresh you feel there is a garden and a poultry farm outside!
The service is so discrete, helpful, you feel you're like home. In addition one speaks portuguese, english, french, spanish, etc...
Finally, there is no place better located than this Palacete to visit Lisboa.
I found in love with this hotel and I think my found my home when I'll be back to Lisbon (because for sure, If I do not come back for Lisbon, I will come back for Palacete Chafariz!).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed there on Jan 30th and have to say, it is a very very special place. This quite a unique format of the hotel - it a historical palace, beautifully renovated, well equipped and full of the vintage artifacts. It is just a 6 rooms at the hotel, therefore you are treated as a very special guest. Like an old friend. Breakfast is one of the best we have ever had, the concierge service make your experience really local. Great place, we love it so much and looking forward to get back

Room Tip: Strongly advise as a romantic place to stay for the couples or families of the grown ups
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maxim_Frolov
Westmeath
Reviewed 3 February 2014

By husband brought me to Palacete to celebrate my 40th birthday for 2 nights and it was such a special place to stay. I have stayed in 5 star Hotel's and speciality lodgings all over the world but this was truly the best ever. Individual, stylish, quirky, luxurious, well located all with incredible personal service. Breakfast until....whatever time you wake up. One on one recommendations tailored to your needs. A two night stay here and I felt like I had been on a full weeks holidays. Maria was fabulous in every way, and clearly loves Lisbon, you felt like you were visiting a good friend with insider knowledge of where to go in the City. I really hope we will be back sometime.

Room Tip: The Terraeao suite is very special, we went during winter when we couldn't make full use of the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MARPADJOE
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

As a solo traveler, how do I justify spending 190 euro for a one-night accommodation? I mean, I didn't spend that much money even when I went to London where the living standard is much higher. The answer is very simple, staying at Palacete Chafariz D'El Rei is a unique and unforgettable experience, so special that it should be considered a destination.

Hidden in a unpretentious neighborhood amongst a lot of old and semi-ruined buildings, this carefully restored 19th century family home is like oasis in the desert. The high ceiling, the sunlight filtered through the stained glass windows, the vintage setting and the unmistakable sense of sophistication, you would simply forget that you are in the gritty Alfama district and that the time is 2013. I might very well have stepped back in time or walked into the scene of a period movie. It was a little surreal.

There are 6 guest rooms in this mansion and they are all very different. I stayed in Sonya and I like it very much, very artsy and not so stiff (some rooms are more formal).

Taking pictures throughout the mansion was a highlight of my stay, but equally great was the breakfast. You got to look at my picture of breakfast for one. The quantity and the quality were superb, and the elegant setting was best of the best.

I stayed in 4 different places during my trip to Lisbon and Palacete Chafariz D'El was the most expensive, but also the best. I actually saved money by selecting cheaper options for the other 3 so I could stay at Palacete Chafariz D'El and it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Check out their website and watch the video before picking the room. Every room is decorated and pri...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MissHo
Muenster, Germany
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Stay during May 2013. Family with 2 boys, 10 and 12yrs. We´ve chosen Suite Grand Torreao for the parents and Suite Paula for the boys (rooms linked by a private corridor)
Everything was as we´ve expected it including the weather. Perfect beds, scenic view from both rooms, rooms are spacy and individually furnishedprivate terrace of Grand Torreao was superb!

Alfama area was fine for us, we loved it despite of garbage cans or grabby corners, sorry that´s Lisboa!
Owners are very friendly and helpful.

Improvement still would be possible for breakfast when we had the same cheese and bacon each day, we expected more local products, e.g. different cheese.
Taxi driver had problems to find the location, choose for stairs up at the corner of a wine bar.

Coming back to Lisboa, we would choose the accomodation again.

Thanks for a pleasant stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This is much more than just a hotel, it's an experience that made being in Lisbon for two days feel like we visited good friends, who just happen to own a palace, for weeks! Rui and Maria were delightful. They made us feel like family, gave great suggestions, told wonderful stories, took care of our every need and at the same time managed to give us complete privacy. The building itself is exquisite and the renovation unique and tasteful. My guess is that all the rooms are great. We saw two and they were lovely. We stayed in the Ayala room with a lovely balcony looking out at the sea. The bed was delicious, the shower excellent, the breakfast huge and scrumptious, the location perfect for exploring Lisbon. It's one of the most delightful places we have ever stayed and we have been in some lovely places. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kato109
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2013

excellent place to stay --- beautiful old mansion converted into a hotel.
believe the reviews -- it's top-notch.
great location right at the bottom of the old town.
breakfast was quite nice in the beautiful dining area.
steps away from the origin of fado any countless fado nightclubs.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple