“Best place to stay in Lisbon.”

Palacete Chafariz D'El Rei
Ranked #10 of 274 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Excellent staff, amazing location, the bedroom design and furniture inside the Hotel and all it's divisions are outstanding and the breakfast was exceptionally tasty!
A must stay Hotel in Lisbon. Highly recommended.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This has been an outstanding experience. We celebrated our birthdays in Lisbon and the place is simply amazing. The level of attention by the personnel is unique, extremely nice and extremely proffesional at the same time. I am a constant traveller and I would rate this place as one of the best I ever been.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014

For a first time in Lisbon, this hotel represents everything one ever thought Portugal would be: culture, architecture, service, romantism. It is located up on the stairs of a very small street noone would find if it you did not know the direction.
Built in 1909, this place has been restaured during three years and is in a perfect state. It mixes very discretly modern and classic.
Only 6 suites, rooms big as a stadium, richly furnished with wonderful views. To be honest I would kiil to own such a place!
The breakfast is wonderful, so fresh you feel there is a garden and a poultry farm outside!
The service is so discrete, helpful, you feel you're like home. In addition one speaks portuguese, english, french, spanish, etc...
Finally, there is no place better located than this Palacete to visit Lisboa.
I found in love with this hotel and I think my found my home when I'll be back to Lisbon (because for sure, If I do not come back for Lisbon, I will come back for Palacete Chafariz!).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed there on Jan 30th and have to say, it is a very very special place. This quite a unique format of the hotel - it a historical palace, beautifully renovated, well equipped and full of the vintage artifacts. It is just a 6 rooms at the hotel, therefore you are treated as a very special guest. Like an old friend. Breakfast is one of the best we have ever had, the concierge service make your experience really local. Great place, we love it so much and looking forward to get back

Room Tip: Strongly advise as a romantic place to stay for the couples or families of the grown ups
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maxim_Frolov
Reviewed 3 February 2014

By husband brought me to Palacete to celebrate my 40th birthday for 2 nights and it was such a special place to stay. I have stayed in 5 star Hotel's and speciality lodgings all over the world but this was truly the best ever. Individual, stylish, quirky, luxurious, well located all with incredible personal service. Breakfast until....whatever time you wake up. One on one recommendations tailored to your needs. A two night stay here and I felt like I had been on a full weeks holidays. Maria was fabulous in every way, and clearly loves Lisbon, you felt like you were visiting a good friend with insider knowledge of where to go in the City. I really hope we will be back sometime.

Room Tip: The Terraeao suite is very special, we went during winter when we couldn't make full use of the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MARPADJOE
Reviewed 3 January 2014

As a solo traveler, how do I justify spending 190 euro for a one-night accommodation? I mean, I didn't spend that much money even when I went to London where the living standard is much higher. The answer is very simple, staying at Palacete Chafariz D'El Rei is a unique and unforgettable experience, so special that it should be considered a destination.

Hidden in a unpretentious neighborhood amongst a lot of old and semi-ruined buildings, this carefully restored 19th century family home is like oasis in the desert. The high ceiling, the sunlight filtered through the stained glass windows, the vintage setting and the unmistakable sense of sophistication, you would simply forget that you are in the gritty Alfama district and that the time is 2013. I might very well have stepped back in time or walked into the scene of a period movie. It was a little surreal.

There are 6 guest rooms in this mansion and they are all very different. I stayed in Sonya and I like it very much, very artsy and not so stiff (some rooms are more formal).

Taking pictures throughout the mansion was a highlight of my stay, but equally great was the breakfast. You got to look at my picture of breakfast for one. The quantity and the quality were superb, and the elegant setting was best of the best.

I stayed in 4 different places during my trip to Lisbon and Palacete Chafariz D'El was the most expensive, but also the best. I actually saved money by selecting cheaper options for the other 3 so I could stay at Palacete Chafariz D'El and it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Check out their website and watch the video before picking the room. Every room is decorated and pri...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MissHo
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Stay during May 2013. Family with 2 boys, 10 and 12yrs. We´ve chosen Suite Grand Torreao for the parents and Suite Paula for the boys (rooms linked by a private corridor)
Everything was as we´ve expected it including the weather. Perfect beds, scenic view from both rooms, rooms are spacy and individually furnishedprivate terrace of Grand Torreao was superb!

Alfama area was fine for us, we loved it despite of garbage cans or grabby corners, sorry that´s Lisboa!
Owners are very friendly and helpful.

Improvement still would be possible for breakfast when we had the same cheese and bacon each day, we expected more local products, e.g. different cheese.
Taxi driver had problems to find the location, choose for stairs up at the corner of a wine bar.

Coming back to Lisboa, we would choose the accomodation again.

Thanks for a pleasant stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family