“Don't eat anything you didn't order”

Restaurante Adega do Ribatejo
Ranked #3,553 of 4,304 Restaurants in Lisbon
Price range: US$19 - US$26
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Like the well known advert..... should have gone to... tripadviser before sitting at the table. However, I didn't and in accordance with the majority of previous reviews I felt ripped off. The cost of the port aperitif 5 euros not ordered and arrived at our table in a jiffy. Followed by the meat, cheese etc. Well rehearsed arrival plan I think.

Do yourselves a favour and avoid your not missing much as the food as not particularly good either. I fact my wife left the majority of her codfish or should I describe it as a bag of bones. Before anybody says you should expect bones in fish, which I accept, I don't expect this amount which rendered it inedible.

Funnily enough as I don't do music, but the dreaded Fado did ease the pain.

1  Thank Nobody3
There are newer reviews for Restaurante Adega do Ribatejo

Reviewed 31 December 2013

In contrast to many previous reviewers we actually enjoyed this place quite a lot. We went there for lunch (no fado at that time). It is a family run, simple restaurant.
We ordered fish, which was very good! Simple cooking, but well done with good ingredients.
Many previous reviewers complained about the cheese and bread served without asking for it, but then appearing on the bill. This is totally usual in Portugal (not only in touristy places). If you don't want the cheese (or other appetizer) you need to speak up.

2  Thank Susanne K
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I dropped into this restaurant after reading the Rough Guide review. Had already eaten, so cannot comment on the food, just had beer, some dessert and a port. All were appropriately priced and good, you expect to pay a bit more in a place with live music. The singers were truly excellent and the atmosphere was extremely friendly. It was during the week in November, so there were maybe 5 people in the restaurant when I came, about half of them tourists. They gave an excellent performance, and continued singing even when it was getting late and I was the only guest left. I am a bit surprised to read the other reviews now, I really had a great time and would go there again.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Like all the reviews before the first impression was great and we were offered an aperitif of port which in the end we paid 5 euros per small glass for (we were with 12 so 60 euros gone!) . Agree with previous comments reference price, food and fado. My advice would be to do your home work, read Tripadvisor and go somewhere else.

2  Thank liz021
Reviewed 13 September 2013

On the first approach It look friendly and welcoming, smiling staff member and good fado music. After we sat down the waiter put bread, butter, cheese, parm ham, on our table without even us asking for it. ( later we found out only this cost us €17.50!!!!!!!! ) we both had fish, I mas say it was delicious, on the second try, because the first time he brought the wrong food. The wine was ok, but we had no choice, we ask which wine they had? And the answer was white or red, and that was it no recommendation or a wine menu with prices! He brought us red, lucky for us we like it. After Finnish eating, we ask for the bill straight forward, for us dinner was over. the bill ridiculous overpriced OMG. Total of €51.50 the bill prices didn't match with the ones on the menu. overall experience they try to take the monies out of you behind your back.

2  Thank valentimazevedo