“One word...AMAZING!!”
Review of Madragoa Cafe

Madragoa Cafe
Reserve with
Madragoa Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 4,145 Restaurants in Lisbon
Price range: US$11 - US$28
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Madragoa Cafe is a place where you can find a traditional Portuguese cuisine, where the products used are fresh and Portuguese. The predominant wines are from the Douro region, however it is possible to find wines from other regions. The dishes are a selection of some of the best that each region of Portugal has to offer. The desserts are traditional and some are made at the restaurant. The affection with which clients are received, that comes from the heart. See you soon!
Solihull, United Kingdom
“One word...AMAZING!!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a holiday in the Algarve in Portugal during which my husband and I travelled to Lisbon for a few days for his birthday. I did a lot of research of restaurants in Lisbon for his birthday meal and settled on this restaurant given it's reviews on TA and the fact you could book online.

On arrival we were given a warm welcome by the owners and were seated at a lovely table by the door in this small restaurant. The menu is all in Portuguese and I did my best with my phrase book to work it out but the owners kindly went through the whole menu with us. We settled on the meat and cheese board to start and then the Portuguese steak and Fish cataplana for our mains. The food was exceptional. It was really authentic Portuguese food cooked to perfection. We ended the meal with a pumpkin, egg and almond cake which was also out of this world!

The owners of the restaurant are very friendly and despite it being a busy night they took the time to talk to us and find out a little more about us and our travels. They knew it was my husbands birthday so presented him with a slice of cake with a candle and champagne which they shared with us. The owners really go out of their way to give the personal touch which is why I think this restaurant stands out from any others. My husband said it was the best birthday he has ever had.

I really cannot recommend this restaurant enough. Some reviewers have said how they waited ages for a table or for their food to arrive. If you want quick food go to McDonalds but if you want fantastic authentic Portuguese food in an atmospheric restaurant with the warmest hosts then this restaurant is for you. This restaurant is an experience so you should spend the time to enjoy it. During our visit people were queuing to get in but not once did the owners make us feel like they wanted us to leave so they could have the table. We stayed 2 and a half hours and it was perfect.

If you are in Lisbon you must visit this restaurant!

We will be back with the new addition next year!

1 Thank walsall115

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Trondheim
“Disappointing... Long wait for decent food.”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

To sum up: decent goods, good chef, long wait.

We were recommended this place from our planned dinner restaurant, and when finding it at top ten on TripAdvisor, our hopes were quite high. The restaurant was originally full, and we got a table after a 30 minutes long wait, as promised. After we were seated it took 25 minutes before we got the chance to order, and a total of 45 minutes before we got anything to drink. The food arrived after 1,5 hours of waiting. I ordered a decent cod dish, and my girlfriend a somewhat far-from-tender steak. The dishes were nicely prepared, but did not seem to be based on the best goods/produce. This should not be amongst the top ten of Lisbon restaurants!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Small and cosy”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our apartement was just around the corner and every evening we passed Madragoa, there were only some free seats. Don't worry - they'll find a way to make room also for you. The meal was best during our holiday, also hosts - when the finished their day in kitchen and bar, they had time to talk with us till late night hours, like with other customers!

1 Thank Kaarel T
Los Angeles
“Food was just ok, but great service-like being in someone's home for dinner”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had lofty expectations after reading rave reviews on Trip Advisor. We enjoyed the experience of dining at Madragoa Cafe, but the main courses were average. We started with the homemade tomato soup, which was excellent. My husband and son had steak, which was in a very good sauce but the cut of meat was not good - very tough - and they did not enjoy it. I had salmon, which was ordinary. We enjoyed the vibe of the place and loved the service, but I wouldn't go expecting an epicurean experience - just not that good.

1 Thank jenntabb
Toronto, Canada
“Happy birthday”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

On vacations in Lisbon, my wife booked a table for us in this restaurant for dinner on my birthday.
The restaurant is amazing. It is one of the coolest were i've ever been. The staff is very friendly and the owners, in the kitchen and at the tables are spectacular, always doing everything to make your night as perfect as possible.
Not a pretentious restaurant but it is a place where people are real and genuinely friendly and the food is typically Portuguese and amazing.
One of the best birthdays I have ever had.
Whenever i return to Lisbon i will definitely return to this restaurant.
Thank you. John