“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”

Neighbourhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Paris, France
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

It seems like this restaurant USED to be good but it literally ruined our last night in Lisbon.

We went on the weekend and it was our last day in lisbon so we definitely wanted a special meal to remember the city by...but being first timers in lisbon it's hard to know which restaurants are good or not. We walked past 560 and was taken by the unique modern design of the restaurant and on close inspection saw articles by ny times and time out lisbon so we thought this would be a sure bet.

We were greeted by a lethargic waiter who seemed almost annoyed that we were there because we were the first customers. We took a table and started with an octopus capaccio, it was OK except it was sprayed with black pepper which really covered the taste of the octopus. The wine recommended by the waiter was enjoyable and then the nightmare began.

I ordered pork cheeks with wine sauce and it arrived on my plate burnt. I had a bite and it was sour, i would initially think its the wine sauce but on second bite, it was definitely the meat and it was not eatable. the rissole thing which came with the pork cheeks was drenched in oil and had no taste and same with the scattered less than a table spoon sized pig skin "salad"...oily and no taste.

next my friend ordered cod fish with , she almost choked on the black eye pea "cous cous" because it was so dry and her fish was completely salty, fishy, over cooked, dry but drenched in oil. when she told the waiter that the fish was dry and not eatable, he suggested to bring some more olive oil...he then asked my friend if she's ever had "cod" fish before. What a joke, COD fish is one of the most basic fishes out there, a fillet o'fish from mcdonalds is made from cod fish...and to be honest would have tasted fresher and more tender to what we had.

As starving as we are (we haven't eaten for 6 hours) we left the plates untouched, paid our bill and left. There was no way we could have finished our dishes without feeling sick. The waiter made no apologies.

I don't usually write reviews but this experience was so bad I feel like i have to worn others who might be fooled by the decor of the restaurant.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Marlene D

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“fantastic”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Great portugese modern kitchen very tasty and refined on classic basis. Fantastic architecture. Nice and discreet service.

Visited December 2011
“High expectations but was quite dissapointed”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

After reading the reviews on 48hrs in Lisbon by the NY times, and the Guardian, I was quite hopeful that this would be a good place, unfortunately my partner and I were quite disappointed. When we arrived the waiter seemed rushed and harassed, even though we were the first customers, nonetheless after a while he began to relax and was quite attentive. The menu had the hallmarks of a fantastic dinner BUT the food was quite bland and you had the feeling that it wasn't cooked with care and attention, i ordered pigs cheeks, and although the meat was tender, it was lacking flavour, the fruit crumble was hot on the outside but frozen in the middle. It's a shame because I'm sure it once deserved it's rave reviews but now I'm not so sure, the waiter made a remark about difficulties retaining Portuguese chef's, do I'm not sure if that had something to do with it. All in all a mediocre place with mediocre food, but a friendly attentive waiter...once he'd settled in. Dinner for 2 3 courses plus a bottle of wine came to 60€

1 Thank acantle
London, United Kingdom
“Definitely recommend!”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

What a beatiful little restaurant this is! Awesome modern Portuguese cuisine. Decoration of the restaurant is also very interesting. They use black-tiles, that have got a pattern as well and then most walls are all covered in plywood. Service was great as well. Only negative it rained on our way there, but the restaurant is not to blame for that!

Visited January 2012
Hautes Pyrenees
“A disappointing return”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My wife and I had eaten twice at the restaurant earlier in the year, and given a very positive review. We therefore looked forward to our evening during an overnight stay in Lisbon.
Having reserved a table by the window our first disappointment was in finding that the management had not taken action, our table was occupied. Worse was to follow. The restaurant was only half full but the service extremely slow. A wait of 1 hour for the main course totally unacceptable.
The quality of the food had also substantially deteriorated.
On this occasion we did not stay for desserts, glad to escape

• Visited December 2011