“very good choice”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“very good choice”
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Choosing The Inspira Santa Marta Hotel was one of our best decisions for our trip to Lisbon. Not in the midst but near enough to the old city center, just a nice 10 mts walk along the Avenue Liberdad passing by the flagship stores of the top fashion brands. This new Hotel has an inspiring architecture, the big stair rising up to the back above is impressing. Our room, a water suite with even a Jacuzzi on the balcony!, exceeded our expectations. For the price we paid we must have had an upgrade from the very friendly lady at the reception desk. Breakfast was very good, staff willingly prepared extra's we asked for. Next time we go to Lisbon we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Inspira1, General Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad that your choice of our hotel was one of the best decisions of your trip. We hope to welcome you back to Inspira Santa Marta Hotel in the not too distant future!
Nick Roucos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 May 2011

we stayed with the four of us (mum and 3 children, age 50-54) at this wonderful hotel. I was impressed by the noble words on the website and was curious if this was true in reality. It is! The personnel is extremely helpful, without being obedient. The rooms where perfect, good beds, very quit. The surrounding is worth strolling around, i did this several times. The breakfast is served, no packages, everything is fresh. I also tried the Jacuzzi, and the beautiful steembath and the sauna. which is also great, not so big, but enough. I enjoyed the stay, we nearly booked for the next year already. thank you!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back next year!
Yours sincerely,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I visited this hotel last weekend with my boyfriend. It was fabulous, the staff was so helpful and polite. The room I reserved was gorgeous with great features and wonderfully comfortable bed! Absolutely recommended! Definitely going back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments, looking forward to welcome you back soon!
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 14 May 2011

The Inspira Santa Marta sits in a quiet side street two short blocks from a main boulevard in an upscale part of town. Its modern design stresses efficient use of space and clean, contemporary lines. The multi-lingual staff members are warm, welcoming, and stand ready to help.

My room had sleek furnishings, a comfortable bed, and excellent climate control. It was a bit small even by European standards and lacked drawers for unpacking. The closet area measured 15" wide, which was wide enough to stash my carry-on suitcase and hang up three days' worth of clothes, but would not have accommodated a normal checked suitcase and/or more clothing than I had brought. My colleague stayed in a similar room with his wife and noted that it was "cozy" for two, although I found it comfortable enough for one person.

The room was very clean. I was grateful for the snowy white robes and slippers, since I travel light and don't ever bring my own. I was a bit puzzled, however, by the fact that the hand lotion disappeared after the first day and was replaced by a second shampoo bottle (which I didn't need). I'm sure they would have supplied it to me again if I had asked, though.

The windows in my room were at ground level on a cobblestone side street, which meant that passing cars sounded like the roll of distant thunder. Luckily the street was very quiet and I did not hear any traffic go by late at night. Also, the windows were fitted with interior wooden shutters which locked into place, making the room feel more secure.

If I were to single out one gripe about the room, it is that it did not include an alarm clock. The IP phone advertised an alarm clock feature, which I set the first night I arrived but it never went off. After this failure, I talked to the front desk attendant about setting it correctly, but was told that the alarm function was not activated. This gentleman apologized profusely for the fact that the front desk clerk who had checked me in had not warned me about this situation. (Meanwhile, I had missed the opening keynote speaker of my conference as a consequence.) I find it very odd that a hotel that caters to businesspeople does not include functioning alarm clocks in their rooms.

I was provided with a free internet password for the duration of my stay, and was able to use the computers in the lobby to print out my boarding passes upon my departure. The water and beer in the mini-bar also was free and was replenished each day. I drink a lot of bottled water when traveling and I appreciated the fact that I didn't have to search for a nearby convenience store to purchase water.

The accommodating bartender in the lobby bar allowed us to taste various wines before deciding on one to sip as a post-dinner libation. The prices were very reasonable for good-quality wines (5 euros a glass).

I ate three buffet breakfasts at the hotel and found them to be a bit pricey (12 euros), but reasonably good. The buffet consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, potatoes, cold meats/cheeses, breads (the croissants were excellent), fruit, juices, and coffee/tea. If I had been in Lisbon for a leisurely visit instead of business, I would have looked for an early-opening bakery/cafe in the neighborhood for a sausage- or cheese-roll instead of the Inspira's breakfast buffet. We stopped at such a shop close to the waterfront one afternoon and found that both their savory and sweet pastries were simply wonderful.

I had dinner one night at the hotel's restaurant. The chef prepared a special rice concoction for me (which was not on the menu) to accompany my fish because I had mentioned I wanted to have some extra vegetables. The tomato-sauced rice with bits of asparagus was, in fact, much more flavorful than the perfectly-cooked salt cod that crowned it, and I enjoyed it very much. I noted that the bill included a 2 euro "donation" to the hotel's sponsored charity, which is bringing clean water to people in remote locations. I'm betting that I could have asked for the donation to be removed and they would have been gracious about it. I generally don't like people to make the assumption that I will donate to a particular cause, but I decided not to make an issue of it. My suggestion to the management (if they should happen to read this review) is to make patrons aware of this practice BEFORE ordering, for example by describing the policy on the menu, rather than surprising them with this extra amount on the bill.

The Inspira Santa Marta has its quirks, but the location, service, and ambiance makes for good value for the money. I would definitely return to this hotel on my next visit to Lisbon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room midway back.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Inspira1, General Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2011
Dear Dr Jill,
thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It was most interesting, encouraging and constructive feedback. I must admit that for longer stays, we do try in general to suggest our Uptown rooms which offer more closet space and room space. I must offer apologies for the alarm clock situation. Both our telephones and TV's normally allow our guests to program their own wake up calls and the systems function well in normal circumstances. I am pleased that the service and the hotel in general were to your liking.
Your other comments were also given due attention, especially the comment regarding Inspira water, the concept of which is explained on one of the Restaurant walls - in hindsight, we perhaps will consider writing it on the menu as well. The idea is that all of the proceeds from the water sale go to Pump Aid, which is our chosen institution,
Thank you once more for your objective feedback and kind commments and I hope we can welcome you back to Inspira Santa Marta Hotel in the not too distant future!
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We had prepaid a room over the Easter break for 3 nights at this hotel, booking the room through Booking.com, which guaranteed the room. When we arrived at the hotel, we were informed that they did not have a room for us at all, and would not have one available during the whole weekend. They had taken the liberty to get us another room at another hotel up the street, which they claimed was of equal standard (but I might add, considerably lower ratings on TripAdvisor). Despite not getting a room at the hotel we had paid for, we were still charged the full amount from the Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, who seem to think that it's OK to put guests in any equivalent hotel in the neighbourhood.

I can't really comment much on the hotel itself, but to say that we were very disappointed about the situation. After the first night's disappointments we had a lovely time in Lisbon, but the Inspira Hotel Santa Marta were able to almost ruin the first night for us. They have also not been helpful after Booking.com contacted them, and insist that we were given an equivalent hotel, with no further discussion on the topic.

Room Tip: Call in advance to make sure they have your room
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank smuffin33
Inspira1, General Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2011
Dear Customer,
We would like to thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that we could not accommodate you at the hotel and for any inconvenience caused. The hotel did however make appropriate arrangements to accomodate you in a nearby hotel of the same category and also, as some form of tangible recompense for your inconvenience, included the breakfast in the rate of the other hotel.
As you can see, from the 87 comments we have so far, this is the only negative comment posted about the hotel on Trip Advisor. We hope that you will be able to reconsider your post.
Yours sincerely,
Nicolas Roucos
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 May 2011

This hotel is definately one of Lisbon's best. Recently opened, everything is still brand new (great bed), and the service is wonderful.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Daan1980
Santa_Marta_Hotel, Sales and Marketing at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting this review.
At Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, we value our guests’ feedback and we are dedicated to high standards of service.
Once again, many thanks for your feedback and giving us the opportunity to do things better.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Best regards,
Sandra Mencucci
Boston
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We're seasoned travelers and we feel compelled to write this review because reading these TA reviews were so helpful to us that we must give back.

We stayed at the Inspira during the middle of April 2011 and it was a 3-night stay. We were able to secure a $99 EURO/night stay so this review is based, in some part, on price.

For the price, this place seems hard to beat. This is not a hotel that has a doorman, a bellman, a consierge, or an operator. This hotel has several helpful, English-speaking, young people working the front desk that seem to be able to do just about everything. Each of them acts as consierge, bellman, and desk clerk. They all do it courtesiously and efficiently.

This hotel is brand new and is a "green hotel". Therefore, it has been designed, and operates, to be efficient and effcetive. The rooms are new, they're clean, and for a major city in Europe, the size reasonable.

What stops our rating from being five stars is as follows: Techology, in some cases, is used just for the sake of technology in this place. For example, the lighting system is a sofisicated programmable type (like a Lutron system - for anyone who knows what that is). Each wall panel has several buttons on it so that you can you hit one button and several things can/should happen. However, the programming was done poorly so the lights never seem to do what you want them to do.

Another example of over-thinking the technology was the coffee maker - it has a " hidden" switch in the back of it and the first morning, we couldn't get the coffee maker to work. I travel extensively for work (about 100 nights/yr) and I have never failed to use the coffee machine in a room (I am also in the "consumer electronics business).

Other little quicks include really hard to read shampoo/conditioner bottles, tiny hidden closet (with a sliding door that requires planning before using), terrible lighting over the desk area, and a fairly weird "glass shower".

These quirks, however, are not enough to rate this hotel poorly. In fact, we would rate it 4.5 stars if that were possible. If you can this place for $99-$140 (EURO), you should do it.

Room Tip: Based on what I could see, not many rooms will ha.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NeroDavalo
Dea Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Our guests’ feedback is very important and we are dedicated to high standards of service.
We are also open to suggestions on how we can improve on those standards and be sure tha your remarks have been taken onboard and have been shared with the entire team

Best regards,