“Great location and excellent value”

Inspira Santa Marta Hotel
Ranked #34 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto
“Great location and excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of October. It looks like it's been fairly recently decorated. We found the rooms to be small, but nicely decorated and clean and quiet. If you are shy, you might not like the shower, as it is clearly visible from the bed. It is only separated by a glass partition. Parking at the hotel is in a secure underground garage at an extra cost. There are a couple of small restaurants right across the road if you don't care to eat at the hotel. We did eat at the hotel one night, and we were wishing we had eaten there more often. The specialty cocktails in the bar were excellent, and the meal was good. We thought they were very good value for the money. Breakfast was a buffet and had a nice selection. Our only complaints was a sewer smell that hit you when you got off of the elavator to our floor, and that tourist pamphlets were not available to look at. You had to know what you want, and ask at the front desk for them. Not terribly convenient. Overall, we would definitely stay here again. The location was great and convenient to transportation.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
SandraMencucci, Guest Relations Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Dear "Sisutoronto",

We thank you very much for your preference for Inspira Santa Marta Hotel.
We are delighted to read your positive comments and we hope to welcome you back soon in Lisbon.
Best regards and all the best for 2012!
Sandra Mencucci

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

I've stayed in this hotel many times and will keep
Coming back. It's my first choice when I'm in Lisbon. From the service to the location to the wonderful food. The complete package. I advise everyone to try it.

• Stayed December 2011
SandraMencucci, Guest Relations Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2011
Dear Sofia Escobar,
We thank you very much for your review and for your preference for Inspira Santa Marta Hotel.
Your rewarding comments will be shared with the rest of the team.
We are looking forward to welcome you next time you're in Lisbon!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights in June, and enjoyed our stay very much. The hotel is well designed, with attractive public areas and good-looking, modern and very clean rooms. Everything is new, and nicely designed. Don't expect a porter at the front door to help you with luggage on arrival, but when we went in to ask for help (we had tons of luggage), somebody came to assist us immediately. Our room faced a narrow alley way on the side and was very quiet. The bed was super comfortable. We appreciated the nice touch of complementary beer and water in the Mini bar every day, as well as the Nespresso coffee machine. We did not book our room with breakfast, so I can't comment on the breakfast. There was a nice local cafe diagonally across from the hotel with great coffee, sandwiches, etc., which is where we had breakfast most days. The location of the hotel is fine, it is a 15 mins walk into the busier part of town, a 20-30 mins walk down to the river, and 5 mins to the subway station. The walk into the center of town is very pleasant down the tree-lined Avenida de Libertade. We quite liked being away from the more touristy areas. The hotel's street also has several nice, small, local restaurants. To help taxi drivers find the hotel, just tell them it is next to the Hospital Santa Marta. Unfortunately taxi drivers at Lisbon airport have lately gotten into the habit of ripping tourists off by rigging their taxi meters. Our ride in from the airport was 20 Euros, I knew this was way too much because I used to live in Lisbon, but there was nothing I could do because that's what the taxi meter said. The couple in front of us in the taxi line at the airport arrived at our hotel just before us, and they were ripped off even more and had to pay 35 Euros! This is a new phenomenon, it never happened when I used to live in Lisbon 10 years ago. I can only hope the Lisbon Tourist Authority is going to address this problem, as it is an unpleasant experience and will hurt tourism over time. Point in case: our taxi back to the airport was called by the hotel and this time the same trip (and exact same route) only cost 7 Euros. Conclusion: make sure to ask the hotel to call for your taxi back to the airport. We had a great stay at the Inspira Santa Marta hotel, and would definitely stay there again. We loved our room, and you can't beat this hotel's price for the quality and service you get.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
SandraMencucci, Guest Relations Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Dear "Alixz",
We thank you very much for posting your comments in regards with your stay at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel.
We are glad to read your overall satisfaction that we will share with the rest of our team.
On the other hand, we were sorry that you had been through an unpleasant experience with your taxi, unfortunately it does happen sometimes. In such situation, what we usually recommend to our guests is to note the taxi identification number or ask for a receipt in order to lodge a complaint at the police station. But most of the time, just sharing your dissatisfaction with the taxi driver and threaten to report it to the police is enough to avoid an issue.
We hope to welcome you soon again at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel.
With our best regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

This hotel had just about everything I could have wanted for my visit to Lisbon. The location of the hotel is extremely ideal. In the heart of Lisbon and near the public transportation routes for the subway and bus lines, but also within enjoyable walking distance of the shopping district and most of the major sites located in the central districts of Lisbon. Since the Inspira is located on a side street off the main thoroughfare, you can retreat to a quiet space after your day/night adventures. The room I stayed in (Wood) was extremely comfortable, nicely decorated, spacious, and fun. One of the most enjoyable rooms I have experienced. The decor was extremely calming and provided a nice respite after my busy days of exploration.

I did not eat at the Inspira...the breakfast is a little expensive. Especially compared to what you can get right outside the door at the surrounding cafes. But the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Considering the location, amenities, and quality of the hotel design, the rates are very reasonable. Inspira will be at the top of my list for my next visit to Lisbon.

Room Tip: The Wood room is a good pick for relaxing and calming surroundings.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I've been in better hotels, but considering the quality-price trade-off this hotel is unbeatable. The hotel has been recently refurbished... not even the taxi drivers usually knew about its existance!!! The facilities are really new and the rooms are very clean, modern and cozy. The only weak points: the breakfast, it was very simple, and the internet connection, signal was dropping continously and was diffciult to obtain from my laptop. For all the rest, this was an awesome hotel: service very friendly, central, etc.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
SandraMencucci, Public Relations Manager at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Dear "Deckard161",
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel. We're glad to read your overall satisfaction. Our breakfast indeed can be considered as more simple than the usual buffet breakfast. We serve an american breakfast buffet focused on quality of the products rather than on quantity. Regarding the connection issue, I've passed this on to our IT manager. May I kindly ask you to send me an email at sandra.mencucci@inspirahotels.com with the room number you occupied so that we can see if there is a poblem of connection specifically on that area ?
Thank you again, your comments will be shared with the rest of the team.
We hope to welcome you again soon in Lisbon!
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Not usually a fan of these impersonal, design hotels but this was a booking at a reasonable price and fairly short notice.

The hotel was oddly silent and full of business types. Breakfast was very poor for the price.

The spa service was excellent. We had a couple's massage together and this was very relaxing in what must have been a brand new facility.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear "MikePadgett",
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel.
We are sorry to read that you found our hotel "impersonal". It has a feeling of contemporary design it's true, but as many reviewers comment it is in fact a very cosy and warm place to stay. Sorry the breakfast was not of your liking, we serve an american breakfast which doesn't carry as much variety as a usual buffet breakfast. Our focus is more on quality of the products served. Your comments will be shared with the entire team and we hope to welcome you again when you next come to Lisbon!
Warsaw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

The Inspira Hotel was simply one the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Located on a quiet street close to the main street of Av. da Libertad, the metro and bus lines, it was the perfect location for exploring Lisbon.

The focus of the hotel is on sustainability and natural living, based on feng shui principles. It’s very modern and minimalist opened only a year ago. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bed linens were 100% high quality cotton. Part of the room was devoted to making drinks, including a small fridge containing free sparkling water, juice and beer. This was in addition to the Nespresso machine, a tea kettle for boiling water, a variety of fair trade teas, cream, sugar, spoons, glasses and cups and bottled filtered drinking water, all complimentary as well. I found it to be a real treat and convenience. It shows their commitment to customer satisfaction.

The room was extremely quiet both from the street and from the other rooms. Outside of the hearing an occasional door closing (they slam automatically behind you) I heard nothing. I had internal wooden shutters which kept out all light from the outside. The TV had 25 English channels most of them news, so I was well informed. There was an interesting lightening system but it was not as complicated as some people have posted. The lights had interesting combinations but were well labelled. At any rate, there was an instruction booklet that explained everything from the telephone to the Nespresso machine to the TV. If you were still confused, the hotel staff could not have been more welcoming or helpful. I received discount coupons for the restaurant, a drink and the spa, but unfortunately I didn’t have time to use them.

My room, 217, was on the street side of the hotel. It had an additional half level, made of wood that had a couch and sitting area. The windows were fairly high so I had to climb the half level to see out and close the shutters. This particular room could use a better reading light on the closet side of the bed. There were other rooms that faced the little alleyways along each side of the hotels. There were 2 free computers to use in the lobby if you did not bring your own. The room had an extensive tech section but I didn’t use it as I had no tech devices with me.

The bathroom was very modern with good lighting and a large, walk in shower with both an overhead rain shower with good pressure for once, and a hand held one. An interesting feature that I liked was the speaker system in the bathroom. I could listen to the TV program while I was in there. The towels were plentiful (washcloths too!), the bath products were organic and there were recycling bins. Two walls of the bathroom are made of a decorated frosted glass which are not transparent. A sliding door separates the entire bathroom and WC area from the rest of the room for complete privacy.

The breakfast buffet had both hot and cold dishes and was filling. The freshly baked rolls and freshly squeezed orange juice were a real delight.

The hotel has a restaurant and in addition there were two neighborhood restaurants across the street. They were full of locals eating excellent seafood and other Portuguese dishes and drinking excellent house wine and coffee. The menus were posted in English on the window and the staff all spoke English like many do in Lisbon.

I can’t recommend this hotel more.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
SandraMencucci, Gerente de relações com clientes at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear "Marysia48",
This is a delayed thank you message that we are sending !
We were glad to read your satisfaction, your review was very interesting and full of details that describe our property very well.
Your comments will be shared with the rest of the team.
We hope to welcome you again in a not too distant future.