“The faithful friend”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Baixa, Rossio & Restauradores
Reviewed 9 October 2013

There are any number of restaurants to choose from at Rua dos Correeiros, downtown Lisbon (Baixa). But once again quantity doesn't mean quality: most are just tourist traps, with waiters approaching passers-by up the limits of one's patience, in order to win them over (usually for a mediocre meal). Not João do Grão. Founded over a hundred years ago, the place aged beautifully and has stayed true to itself without compromising to the tourist trade. I strongly recommend "Bacalhau cozido com grãos" (codfish with chickpea), "Iscas com elas" (pig's liver served with boiled potatoes - the "elas") and "Cozido à Portuguesa". Try the house red: simple, good and very, very affordable, like a Portuguese wine should be.

Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Good wine and friendly staff. I had lunch there by myself. Fish tasted good and it was a worth of the price. Overall, it was a normal restaurant for tourist.

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Our experience at this restaurant started rocky, and went downhill from there. We ordered 2 sangrias, and they brought out beer. We ordered fish soup, and the fish in it was still cold and half frozen. Finally, my order of grilled cuttlefish came out, which was tasty and I was enjoying until I found a hair in it. We also ordered a salad with our main, which never came out, but they still tried to charge us for at the end of the night! My husband did enjoy his grilled sardines, but did not make up for all the other terrible things. So many other places to eat in Lisbon...not here!

1  Thank LaurenKT
Reviewed 30 June 2013

One of many restaurants in a touristy street, but the food was good, the service was friendly, and you get free entertainment watching the people go by.

1  Thank Tchira S
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Sorry, but do NOT get into taxi drivers trap or either people that have tried the same restaurant name in Caiscais.
This is a bad, REAL SHAME, "Portuguese" restaurant.
If there is something I DO RESPECT in Portugal is the bacalhau!
I waited for mmm 7 minutes and I had two bacalhau courses on my table: NOT FRESH AT ALL, one SALTY, another just like if I had ordered brad (to say a very regular thing) ... and you pay a pretty touristic price!
I have been to maaaaany awesome restaurants in Portugal, pretty less popular and MUCH, MUUUUCH BETTER!
Just reinforcing the message: NEVER EAT AT MAIN STREETS! EVEN IF LOCAL FOLKS RECOMMEND! I have been off that for a long time but I decided to go for it this time as I heard that many times!
Are you in Lisbon? Go to Alfama, Graça, Moraria ... and walk around and take your shot!
No doubt it is much better, much cheaper and much pleasant that stay in a place like Disney World, but i Lisbon! Does that fit for you? If so go for it and spend you money! YUK! 40 + euros >I spent for a very bad dish!