“Very good hotel in a great location”

Altis Avenida Hotel
Ranked #37 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Just stayed at this hotel for the weekend. Perfect location to explore Lisbon. The hotel is very nice indeed but would say the facilities are a little limited for 5 star.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Nice room, not that big, but big enough. Breakfast served on the top floor, good choice of bread, fruits and yogurt. Friendly staff and excellent location in the centre of the city.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed two nights at Altis Avenida and would suggest this hotel to anyone who is visiting Lisbon. The hotel is simply perfectly located: the Aerobus station to/from the airport is only 100 mt from the hotel, same as the underground and the train station, and it is in the heart of the city, only a few steps from the major attractions. The staff is very friendly and helpful (I had lost my passport on the plane and Andrea helped me contact the airline to find it) and you can count on their useful tips for restaurants. Rooms are clean and comfortable but not very big and some more light would be nice. Moreover, you can hear the water running from the neihbouring room bathroom and this for sure a negative point.
The breakfast terrace is a good place where to start your day. Unfortunately in winter it is a bit crowded with tables, since you cannot use the outdoor part. Breakfast buffet offers a wide variety of sweet and salty food and the quality is very good.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Great place, great staff, great location - everything you could possibly wish for a great holiday!!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Anka123
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is a nice new hotel in a fantastic location, just steps away from the Restauradores metro station and directly across from the Hotel Avenida Palace. From this station you are only a few minutes to Lisbon zoo (6 stops), or to Colombo Shopping Centre (9 stops) - (a great day out if you want shopping - clothes for her, electronics (FNAC etc) for him.) Also just 2 stops if you are lazy to Marques de Pombal metro stop - a starting point for the Red or Yellow tour buses. We got the Red "Grayline" bus - 2 day 2 tour ticket costing €15 which we felt was worth it to get a tour of pretty much the whole city. (The 3rd tour is a city centre tour and you can walk it as easy)

The Altis Avenida had a nice buffet breakfast (included in our price) - only complaint would be that the bacon provided was not very high quality - let's say streaky bacon would be far better! Also, it was barely warm. But there were cereals (cornflakes, special k etc) and fresh fruit, toast, bread, cheese, cold meat as well which were all fine. There is a great view from the Breakfast/Dinner room over the city on the 7th floor of the hotel.

Room was a basic double - which faces onto the back of the hotel and other buildings - this didn't bother us - I didn't visit to look out the window and I suspect it is quieter at the back as well.

Room service was fine when we used it - €15 for a bottle of house wine which seems reasonable given that it is after all, room service.

Porters and reception very keen to ensure that you are welcomed (Ricardo our porter was so enthusiastic I suspect if we had asked him to bring us on a tour of Lisbon he would have obliged!)

No kettle in room just in case this is important to you - we brought a travel kettle.

TV is an LG HD flatscreen - with BBC and Sky news along the usual other local channels. Note that you can't connect a laptop to the TV HDMI inputs as they have connected the TV to their own system. I managed to connect a media player but it was not recognised.

Nearby plenty of restaurants and a McDonalds as well if you want some comfort food.

We got the "Taxi Voucher" to get a taxi into town on arrival at the airport - mainly as a result of being terrified having read a lot of the "taxi scams" on tripadvisor and elsewhere. This voucher was €23 which is a bit steep. When going home we got the Lisbon Aerobus for €3.50 each which was fantastic - and we would get this going into Lisbon if we come back again as it is very reliable and runs every 20 minutes.

To finish off, the Altis Avenida really is in what we would consider the best location for a short visit. They also held our luggage on the last day until we went to the airport. We would definitely return to this hotel when back in Lisbon.

2  Thank steakeaterireland
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This is only the second review I've ever been wiling to take the time to do. The other one I did was because I was not at all happy. This is being written for the exact opposite reasons. I'm not a huge traveler but I do prefer decent hotels i.e. very clean, attentive friendly staffs, convenient location, carpets and bedding I'm not afraid to walk on or sleep in, etc. The Altis Avenida exceeded my expectations and must be considered one of the best bets in Lisbon. It is located in one of the nicest and most convenient parts of the city, is only two years old (having taken an existing building and completely gutting it), has a restaurant with great views of the city, and its staff appears to be a very well trained team always eager to be of service in any way possible and always smiling. They all speak several languages (English was a biggie for me) and most Portuguese citizens speak English as well making it a very comfortable place for me to visit.
The Metro is so easy to use even I was able to get around easily. If considering tours, check out Grey Line tours as we had very good experiences with them here.
I would easily return again and would not think twice about where I would stay.

Room Tip: All I could say re: rooms, is that we had a room with a view of the Ave. Liberade which was quite ni...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Ram25-176
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Ditto on all the good things other reviewers have said. It was just lovely, quiet, terrific central location, and we enjoyed the breakfast too. Lisbon is a charming city, and the center where Altis is located is very pedestrian friendly and has little traffic. Also there's a subway stop adjacent to the hotel and the system is very easy to use. We were there for two nights in early January of 2012.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple