“Alfama Fado - hard to find but worth the search”
Review of A BAIUCA

A BAIUCA
Ranked #1,741 of 4,439 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Navigating the Alfama can be tricky in daytime, much less evening. The taxi driver dropped us several hundred meters from out destination, pointing us up a narrow alley. We quickly felt lost and had to ask for directions several times (I had the address written on a slip of paper). Finally, a local led us to the door. It is a tiny restaurant - seating maybe 40 people on bench seats I was glad we had a reservation.. The hostess spoke English and settled us quickly with glasses of white port.. The couvert items were very tasty, especially the bean and tuna mixture. The main course was not so good but desserts were excellent. Wine was also very good. But the real reason to venture into the Alfama at night was the fado. From the outset, it seemed very much a family affair. The guitarists were excellent. The two fado singers who alternated were also very good. Several times, all the staff, including the cooks, joined into the chorus.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

excellent for great night of a lot of drinking and excellent Fado singing by authentic local singers. the place runs by wonderful Isabel, who manage the show. it is a small place so reserve your table.
and the cream caramel and pudding rise deserts are from heaven!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I walked by this place by accident on my own at around 8pm in the evening. It announced the kind of "vagrant fado" that could be of interest if you are not in the highly professional mode of that genre. I walked in and the place was crowded but I was found a place at a corner. Place smaller than the usual casas de fado, menu your typical Portuguese fare with a minimum of 25 Euros. I ordered some food and wine which was average, not great, but also not bad and then realized that I was seated at the table of the singers waiting their turn. Thus, it turned out to be an interesting evening. I could see them converse with each other, they were older folks, the kind of people you see in these kinds of restaurants. But when they sung, some of them transformed into real stars. The singing was uneven, there were some who were just fantastic and others whom you admired for their courage to still do it. I was there from 8 to almost midnight, had wine, port and some rise dish and paid around 30 Euros, which I thought was fair. There are better fado places in Lisbon who are also more expensive, there are worse who are cheaper. The staff was friendly. A good evening.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I went to Baiuca recently with family, four adults and a one year old. We had a wonderful time. The staff was welcoming, the musicians were (for the most part) very good, and the food was better than average. Prices are more expensive than eating in a non-Fado restaurant. However, from what I saw in the Alfama district, the prices at Baiuca are not out of line for a restaurant where you can hear Fado. The restaurant is small, and quarters are a little tight, but that did not prevent us from enjoying the evening.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Elected to visit following Tripadvisor ''overestimated'' rating... Disappointed by restaurant setup and limited tight space, then quality and small selection of proposed dishes!!!! The only upside: Large selection of famous FADO singers. Price/Quality ratio not attractive!!!!

1  Thank Fouad B