“Place for minimalists - I wouldn't stay there again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lisbon
Royal Lisbon Hostel
Ranked #153 of 262 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I booked a superior room with double bed private with WC; but the first night we had to spend in a very small 4-people bedroom with 2 bunk beds, without WC, on the 1st floor (very noisy at night due to leaky windows), because they were overbooked.The superior bedroom, where we moved later, disappointed us-it didn't look like on pictures; quite small room in the attic, without any wardrobe, lockers, tv;there was only 1 big bed, 1 chair , 1 very small table and 2 tiny bedside tables.There was NO door to the bathroom! and the ceiling was leaking in the rain.Just a kitchen corner was OK- fridge, coffee maker, kettle, microwave. As a plus, this room was quiet (better window; top floor). The staff made problems with returning a deposit for towels and reducing payment for the 1st night spent in a room of a lower standard (finally they gave us a discount 50% for the 1st night). No cleaning service. Positives:relatively cheap, good location (city center, metro, trams), breakfast. I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: you should try to get a room higher than on the 1st floor - otherwise, your bedroom will be very noi...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 March 2012

The staff is really friendly and the place is clean and tidy. Is true that there are many homless people in the area but that does not means that the location is dangerous as some might say,. I really loved the place,

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank charlesgemma1
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I found a good Hostel on my visit to Lisbon, but it was a distance from the old historic district and i would have liked to be in walking distance of the heart of Lisbon. i had to take a taxi or public transport or walk to everything. I checked out google for "best location lisbon hostel" and ROYAL LISBON popped up. That day I went to three low cost hostels looking for a private room with shared bath--all within a short walk from Rossio Plaza. When I entered Royal Lisbon, I thought "this is a waster of time, surely it is way over my budget". Newly remodeled, once a beautiful home on the 3rd floor, everything was done in good taste and spacious, And what a perfect location: a view of the statute of Luis Camoes out the window, a kiosk for coffee or wine, Fado music and restaurants on steep alleys one block away, Metro two blocks, tram at the front door. Inside, a great staff (the manager Vasco was very helpful to everyone), real beds, very clean, breakfast, computer, TV.

So the one word I would use to describe Royal Lisbon is "LOCATION" (and value)

R. G. Richardson
Charleston, So. Carolina
USA

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank richardsonrg
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Great place. New, clean, great breakfast and superfriendly staff.
We will definitely come back here.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank hunter30_11
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I spent a long weekend there with my friend. Location is brilliant - next to all the bars of Barrio Alto, churches, castle, everywhere worth seeing. The only time we bought tube ticket was to go to Oceanarium and it was not very good at all. Even the train station to Caiscais is only a short way down the street. It is in the very center on the square with bank, trams and buses so it can be noisy, but I think noise is what makes Lisbon such fun. The boys working in a hostel are super sweet, to the point that it came to my mind they are romancing all the female tourists but I recon there is nothing wrong with it. The first night they were cooking a dinner for all the new arrivals to welcome and get to know them. How cute is that? There is plenty of room for everything - showering, reading, chilling and Internet. The only thing I did not like was that they have a cleaner working early mornings doing light cleaning. At the end of a day toilet bins were full of paper, toilet paper was finished, sinks were blocked. Even with that, I loved the place big time.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Magdalena32
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Def well worth it...will be staying there again next visit..perfect location

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 21 July 2011

This was the first time me and my girlfriend tried a hostel, and it definitely didn't disappoint!
First off, the people who worked there were very nice and helpful, always giving tips for the better beaches, the best bars and great things to do in the city. This hostel is also one of the gathering points for the free walking tours trough Lisbon. It's the best way to discover the city, and our guid José knew lost of stuff normal tourguides wouldn't tell you, because they're not born and raised in the city, Definitely worth a try. I can also be full of respect regarding the accomodations; good breakfast, everything was clean and the beds were soft and comfortable. I reccomend this hostel to anyone who wants to be in the heart of Lisbon. At least it was our first and best experience yet!

Room Tip: Come in early, before noon. That's the most likely time other guests will leave and beds bec
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple