“Inviting modern apartment”

Ranked #36 of 232 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Stavanger
“Inviting modern apartment”
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in this great intimate B&B. It is not actually a house, but on the fourth floor in an apartment building. Access through a tiny elevator. The lobby/livingroom area was large and nicely decorated. Our room was spacious and had a separate bathroom in the hall. In winter season the breakfast is on the roof and has one of the best views of Lisbon! Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is our second time at The House and it just confirmed what I already knew: I will never stay at another B&B in Lisbon!

Our stay was wonderful: the rooms are neatly decorated, and the whole house for that matter, with antique pieces here and there that truly add a different flare to the place which is already in itself a beautiful old house. The staff was great, Francesco was very attentive with us, making sure we knew all the local tips, restaurants and places to visit. In general, the atmosphere is very friendly.

The terrace delivers what you'd expect after reading a few reviews: a stunning view of Lisbon, practically 360º. It doesn't fail to amaze you the first time, nor the second!

Very pleasant stay overall, we will for sure come back!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This place was better than we expected. A little unsure when we walked up to the entrance on a pretty nondescript street, but once you are in its a real treat. An amazing staircase to the rooms level. Room was great - small but big enough with own bathroom. Then the roof terrace! Such a great spot to sit down, relax with a drink from the honesty bar and take in the sights and sounds of this beautiful city of Lisboa. Breakfasts were lovely - nice choice of foods and freshly squeezed orange juice. Spent lots of time chatting to the other lovely guests and the owner - who made us feel very welcome. We are recommending to all our friends and will be back as soon as we can :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greg2970
fcpcc1, Manager at The House, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Greg2970,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. You managed to do something we have never had before and that was to exceed expectations. That means a lot to us. If I am not mistaken you stayed in one of our smallest room, next time we’ll try to put you on a bigger one.

All the best, we’ll be here when you come back.

Francisco and TheHOUSE Staff
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights. We thought everything was lovely--the breakfast was above average, the receptionists (when available) were friendly (Pedro was great), and they were always helpful with suggestions. The rooms are clean, although small.

I actually really liked being away from the center of town--it's not very far from the hustle and bustle, and in actuality, it's right at the beginning of the most famous trolley next to the Basilica, so you can always get a seat. The view from the terrace is unbeatable.

I did not love the smell of the pipes.

As an additional feature, it is very close to a wonderful restaurant that was featured in the New York Times a couple of years ago, La Tasca de Esquina. The food there is wonderful, and we got to walk there from the place.

1 Thank AmherstBird
fcpcc1, Manager at The House, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Amherst Sparrow,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

I am sorry that not everything was perfect. That is what we aim to offer our guests and we are always disapointed when it doesn't happen that way.

I am however glad to inform that we are finally going to be able to have some proper work done in the bathroom. We have had apparently random problems concerning smell in the bathroom of the room you stayed in. The reason why we haven’t been able to address it properly before (even though we tried a number of suggestions from different professionals that either seem to work for some time or at least minimize the problem) is that I don’t own TheHOUSE; I only rent it to my family. Therefore for us to undertake major work inside walls is impossible until we get permission from the landlord. We finally have that so, the next time you come, everything will be fine. Perhaps we will deserve a five star review then. In the meanwhile, please accept my apologies.

Best regards,

Francisco
MA
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Trip Advisor recommendations are usually pretty much on target but how this place ever was ranked so high is beyond us. This was our worst experience in Portugal. While they were informative and prompt when we made the reservation, it took them two days to answer an email when we were in Portugal – and it went downhill quickly from there.

We were told in advance that the check-in folks would be out between 1 and 3 p.m. We got there before 3 and no one showed up until about 3:20. Fortunately, the housekeeper let us in so we weren’t standing on the street. The staff, when they were there, were quite nice and friendly, but not all that knowledgeable about local sights and events. After about 8 p.m. there was no staff available so you were on your own if there was a problem.

The rooms used an old fashioned lock and sometimes it took us about 5 minutes to get into the room and lock the door from the inside. When the toilet didn’t flush, a staff person came in, pushed the top of the toilet to get it working again, and admitted it was a regular problem. There was also a sign near the toilet that said some of the toilets may have a bad smell because of old pipes. That wasn’t a problem in our room, however.

The rug in the room was dirty, new towels weren’t put in each day unless requested, the breakfasts were nothing to write home about (no hot food and they even cut the croissants in half so they would go further), the shower curtain was dirty, the soap dispenser was rusty, and the dried flowers in the bathroom were dirty.

On the positive side, the views from both the room and the terrace were outstanding and the location, while not close to downtown, was convenient as the #28 tram was close by and that takes you to about everyplace you’d want to go.

4 Thank bigflak
fcpcc1, Gerente at The House, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
5/11/2013

Dear BigFlask,

We have just received your review.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at TheHOUSE and am currently looking into all the details of your review. I have sent you a message in order to fully understand everything, and wait for your reply in order to be able to answer your comments in full knowledge.

Francisco

13/11/2013

Dear Bigflak,

It has now been more than a week since your review was posted on tripadvisor and our own website. The moment we got it, I immediately wrote to you asking for more information so we could understand what the problems were and make sure that next time they wouldn’t happen. Even though it is obviously a very damaging review (on account of it we have just dropped on the rankings), I opted to wait for your response so that we could give, both you and the trip advisor community, the best possible answer. You haven’t replied back and I think it is a shame that somebody is so quick to give very negative public feedback on a business without doing it privately first it is, at the same, unwilling to help us.

In any case, the room is supposed to be impeccable when the guests arrive and, because it was not the case, please accept my apologies. If I had been told about it when you arrived, we would obviously have changed it on the spot and we would both be better off. Sometimes things are not the way they should but it is impossible to change it without knowing about it.

TheHOUSE is not a hotel, it does not offer some of the services a regular hotel does. This includes magnetic cards for the doors, 24hr service (although we always have somebody less than 10 minutes away for any emergency, obviously), safes in the rooms… If you want fresh towels everyday please ask for it and, if all this doesn’t suit you, please go and stay at a place that does. It will be better for you and it will be better for us. This applies also to everybody that would rather complain anonymously afterwards on the internet instead of informing us and have whatever problems solved in timely fashion.

What it is and what we offer has been properly described by hundreds of reviews from all over the world so I won’t go into that. I just need to clarify that, when we can’t have the smaller fresh croissants and have to serve the bigger ones (problems of working always with daily products), we do chop them in half. It was actually a guest that suggested it to me when he noticed that many people didn’t finish them and they were going to waste. I liked the idea and am keeping it but, just to be completely clear about it, you can take both halfs of any croissant and more.

Best regards,

Francisco Cansado Carvalho
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

I stay in B n B when I travel. This is top notch. I booked the "Playroom" and was told it was one of the smaller rooms. I am travelling solo, but it is good for two people. I can't imagine how big the other rooms are! The rooms is clean and the views from this room are amazing! The terrace is what sold me when O booked here and it is everything the pictures show. Great location. Peaceful! The hospitality is perfect! Great place "The House!"

• Stayed November 2013