“Underwhelming”

LX Boutique Hotel
Ranked #43 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Bachelor party weekend- hotel booked by one of the groomsmen and frankly it was a very decent choice.

The decor is young and edgy, the staff a bit aloof but tries to engage and yes, the room is clean, the amenities are decent, the water pressure and temperature were GREAT.

I knew the LX was a little different when I saw the little box sitting on my bed stating "Sorry, No fancy luxuries to fill your ego". I took it as perhaps a way to get my curiosity up, so I quickly opened the box and found a lousy tiny pencil, paper pad and a Lisbon city tourist map.

My Advice: save the cardboard and the clever remarks- leave the stuff on my bedside table and we'll be fine, thanks.

But all that is not enough to get an 'Average' rating on TA...so here's why I walked away underwhelmed.

1. The Sushi restaurant- claimed to be 'the best in Lisbon' - Not going to get into each dish which was OK (price certainly in the more premium range), but the whole meal was killed when I discovered that the soy sauce was watery (and I eat enough Japanese food and buy enough Kikkoman and Yamasa soy sauce to know the difference). The meal then ended with a proper thud when (even though I am a guest of the hotel) I was informed that ONLY PORTUGUESE CREDIT CARDS are accepted....or cash....so cash it was.

2. The noise and general 'nastyness' outside the hotel after 3am....it's noisy (fair enough, I travel with earplugs) but worse, it's really sketchy- ie the alleyway stinks of urine and some of the dudes in there make you glad a couple of cops are standing around nearby.

3. Needed to iron one of my shirts. No iron/ironing board in the room (fair enough)- but when I called downstairs, I was informed that there are no ironing boards or irons in this hotel! Apparently this is normal as no one even apologized. Even on AirBnB I can do better.

If this hotel aspires to the heights it claims to, then I would strongly suggest they bring their game up a notch.

For the price, I will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LeDude13
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry we weren't able to fulfill your expectations and we'll take all your remarks to improve our game!

Allow me to say that we've already bought an iron board! About the sushi restaurant, it's not part of the hotel but we've spoken to the owner who was very surprised with this commentary. It's a highly recommended sushi restaurant and we're very sorry you had a bad xperience. On the welcome-box, we took notice and are working on the content...the idea is there to be improved!

I would be grateful if you give us another chance in the future. I'm sure you'll have a completely different xperience!

(Hotel Manager)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,552)

Reviewed 16 June 2013

a very cute establishment, colourful and well situated especially if you come by train. The bright blue facade makes it hard to miss and the interior is fresh and friendly as are the staff. We got all the information we needed and a simple map. The room was on the small side but still good use of space, clean and bright and a good (free) WIFI connection. The only issue would be street noise on a weekend but it comes with the central location in any city. I certainly found the smell of urin in the whole inner city on Sunday more disturbing than the noise. Sadly, relieving oneself in public seems to be common practice amongst local party-goers.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear guest,

Thnak you for your review and kind words, I'll pass them to the rest of the staff. It's great to feel we've been a plus on your most recent Lisbon Xperience! About the city smell...it's no excuse but we've been here on the city holiday, when we honor our local saint, with thousands of people on the streets (as you surely noticed..).

Hope to see you soon in our fantastic city! Do contact us directly to get access to our special rates and keep in touch through our facebook page.

Cheers
(Hotel Director)

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Pay attention to the reviews! You may choose to stay here, but there are some issues that are not usually associated with highly rated hotels.

Pros: great location within walking distance to so many interesting places. Nice staff with some helpful recommendations (Santini's for ice cream!). History: famed writers Pessoa and fictional Ricardo Reis stayed here in its previous incarnation as the Braganca Hotel, and the hotel decorations commemorate this connection.

Cons: the all-night noise. Not just on weekends (we stayed Monday and Tuesday). I have stayed in European hotels, including one above a very noisy tram stop, that had windows and shutters that shut out all the noise. Not here - you hear very loud partying all night long. No bathroom privacy, at least in the backstreet room(s). Clever use of frosted glass, but if you or your traveling partner want any privacy, you won't have it. Regular rooms are very small. View out the window was of a boarded-up building. Also, no place for unloading from taxi on busy street.

As a sound sleeper, the location and history might be enough to bring me back. But travelers should consider the comments by numerous reviewers seriously.

2  Thank TheKaptainK

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I got mixed feelings when reading your commentary on your most Lisbon Xperience. I believe we've identified pros and cons but the pros may bring you back, is this it?

If so, it's great news! First the noise issue: yes it's true we have some problems in specific nights (not every night...) in specific rooms, but we're working on it since we've oppened. The old "clubs" are closing and new restaurants and shops are rising. I'm sure you'll find it different next time!

About the room size, on your next visit I advise you to go for the xpanded rooms (contact my directly so I can offer you the best available rate), thy're much bigger and with stunning views.

Please keep up the news on our facebook page!

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Staff was welcoming and helpful. Rooms are well-designed, though small. Well appointed bathrooms. Great location -- near the Metro, trolley and buses. Easy walk, up hill, to Baixa-Chiado. Great view of the riverfront.

Room Tip: Top floor is quiet, though sloped ceiling may not be for everyone.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind words.It was great having you with us and it's even better to feel we've been a plus on your most recent Lisbon Xperience. Hope to see you soon in the near future!

Anything you may need from us or from Lisbon don't hesitate to contact me directly. In the meanwhile keep up the news through or facebook page.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect if you want to explore the city: you can walk to almost every attraction in the old center.
Also, the design of the hotel is very nice. Basic, with some lovely touches. The rooms are very spacious and well designed.
BUT: beware of the noise. The hotel is located near a very busy nightlife street. I was there on a Tuesday night, and I even almost put my earplugs in, and that being a very easy sleeper.
Be sure to ask for a room at the other side of the hotel, should you sleep light.
On the other side: if you want to go out in Lisbon, this hotel is perfectly located for you.
I would certainly recommend this hotel, but only if you bring earplugs!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the nightlife street, in case you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We hope to see you soon back in the lx boutique hotel and on your next visit, please contact us directly so you can get access to our preferred rates (not available online).

In the meanwhile please keep up the city/hotel news through our facebook page.

Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

Right in central Lisbon few blocks from metro, buses and trolleys and walking distance to great resturants makes LX a great location. Rooms typical of European hotels and thus a bit smaller than in North America but very well arranged so they don't feel small. The staff was super friendly and helpful making good dinner recommendations and calling ahead for reservations. Breakfast was extra and 12 euros a person seemed exorbaniant when you can get coffee and a pastry for 2 euros up the street, so we never tried it! But they did have complementary port and pastries pre-dinner which was nice.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind words. It's great to feel we've been a plus your most Lisbon Xperience! Anything you may need from us or from Lisbon don't hesitate to contact us. You can keep up the hotel/city news through or facebook page.

On your next visit contact us directly so you can get access to our preferred rates (not available online).

Reviewed 4 June 2013

As an experienced traveler to Europe, LX Boutique Hotel is a true find. Assuming you're moving past the whole "European hotels don't look like a Holiday Inn" syndrome, I found LX to be charming, up to date, tasteful, reasonably priced and well appointed. The front desk was helpful and polite, the room was better than advertised. My only (minor) quibble was that it was a warm day and the air conditioning was "locked" at about 72 degrees, so the room felt warm. Opening the windows solved the issue, but wasn't practical to leave them open overnight.

I'd gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: We took the top floor (4th) with the river view. It was worth the little extra money for the size o...

Dear Patric,

Thank you for your review and sorry for my late reply. It's great to feel we've been able to fulfill your expectations and be a plus on your most recent Lisbon Xperience.

Anything you may need from us or from Lisbon don't hesitate to contact us. Keep up the city/hotel news through our facebook page.