“Yes, but..”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampere, Finland
“Yes, but..”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The hotel is situated nicely within short distance to the shopping streets, but the neighborhood is a bit shaggy. The rooms are new and tidy, but the sounds from the street and upstairs can be a bit annoying. The personnel is not too polite, and there is hard to find any flexibility.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HNN-MJ
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I'm very sorry to feel we didn't match your quality standards.

About the neighborhood we've witnessed a great evolution since day one. New spots are oppening every day and I trully believe you'll find it very different on your next visit. What worries me is the staff issue. Everybody can have a bad day but never, never, pass it to the clients. If you could be so kind to mail me directly to report the situations I would appreciate it.

If you're willing to give us another chance, please contact me directly.

(Hotel Manage)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We spent 4 nights at LX Boutique Hotel and couldn't be happier. We had an expanded riverfront room which was much larger and more spacious than I was expecting. The decor was awesome, the room was very clean, very comfortable and the blackout shades helped us sleep soundly throughout the night. The Bathroom was large and clean. The staff and the manager were very helpful and always had answers to our questions. The Manager emailed us a few days before arrival to see if there was anything he could do for us. It was our honeymoon and my wife's birthday and they had a bottle of champagne and flowers waiting for us - great service. In the afternoons they have fresh pastries and wine in the lobby which were both delicious. There is a very nice bar/restaurant in the lobby. The price was very reasonable, especially for the quality. The location is also great. The metro/train station is right across the street. The river is right across the street and there are great views from the rooms facing the river. Everything in the city is within walking distance from the hotel and it offers a great central location. We couldn't be happier with out stay.

Room Tip: Xpanded River Front Room is great if you need extra space and want a great view of the river.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your review and sorry for my late reply. It's great to feel we've been a plus on your most recent Lisbon Xperience! I'm a fan of the riverfront rooms so I totally understand the happiness of your words.

On your next visit contact us directly so you can access or preferred rates (not available online) and in the meanwhile keep up the hotel and city news through our facebook page.

Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Bachelor party weekend- hotel booked by one of the groomsmen and frankly it was a very decent choice.

The decor is young and edgy, the staff a bit aloof but tries to engage and yes, the room is clean, the amenities are decent, the water pressure and temperature were GREAT.

I knew the LX was a little different when I saw the little box sitting on my bed stating "Sorry, No fancy luxuries to fill your ego". I took it as perhaps a way to get my curiosity up, so I quickly opened the box and found a lousy tiny pencil, paper pad and a Lisbon city tourist map.

My Advice: save the cardboard and the clever remarks- leave the stuff on my bedside table and we'll be fine, thanks.

But all that is not enough to get an 'Average' rating on TA...so here's why I walked away underwhelmed.

1. The Sushi restaurant- claimed to be 'the best in Lisbon' - Not going to get into each dish which was OK (price certainly in the more premium range), but the whole meal was killed when I discovered that the soy sauce was watery (and I eat enough Japanese food and buy enough Kikkoman and Yamasa soy sauce to know the difference). The meal then ended with a proper thud when (even though I am a guest of the hotel) I was informed that ONLY PORTUGUESE CREDIT CARDS are accepted....or cash....so cash it was.

2. The noise and general 'nastyness' outside the hotel after 3am....it's noisy (fair enough, I travel with earplugs) but worse, it's really sketchy- ie the alleyway stinks of urine and some of the dudes in there make you glad a couple of cops are standing around nearby.

3. Needed to iron one of my shirts. No iron/ironing board in the room (fair enough)- but when I called downstairs, I was informed that there are no ironing boards or irons in this hotel! Apparently this is normal as no one even apologized. Even on AirBnB I can do better.

If this hotel aspires to the heights it claims to, then I would strongly suggest they bring their game up a notch.

For the price, I will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LeDude13
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry we weren't able to fulfill your expectations and we'll take all your remarks to improve our game!

Allow me to say that we've already bought an iron board! About the sushi restaurant, it's not part of the hotel but we've spoken to the owner who was very surprised with this commentary. It's a highly recommended sushi restaurant and we're very sorry you had a bad xperience. On the welcome-box, we took notice and are working on the content...the idea is there to be improved!

I would be grateful if you give us another chance in the future. I'm sure you'll have a completely different xperience!

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 June 2013

a very cute establishment, colourful and well situated especially if you come by train. The bright blue facade makes it hard to miss and the interior is fresh and friendly as are the staff. We got all the information we needed and a simple map. The room was on the small side but still good use of space, clean and bright and a good (free) WIFI connection. The only issue would be street noise on a weekend but it comes with the central location in any city. I certainly found the smell of urin in the whole inner city on Sunday more disturbing than the noise. Sadly, relieving oneself in public seems to be common practice amongst local party-goers.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thnak you for your review and kind words, I'll pass them to the rest of the staff. It's great to feel we've been a plus on your most recent Lisbon Xperience! About the city smell...it's no excuse but we've been here on the city holiday, when we honor our local saint, with thousands of people on the streets (as you surely noticed..).

Hope to see you soon in our fantastic city! Do contact us directly to get access to our special rates and keep in touch through our facebook page.

Cheers
(Hotel Director)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Pay attention to the reviews! You may choose to stay here, but there are some issues that are not usually associated with highly rated hotels.

Pros: great location within walking distance to so many interesting places. Nice staff with some helpful recommendations (Santini's for ice cream!). History: famed writers Pessoa and fictional Ricardo Reis stayed here in its previous incarnation as the Braganca Hotel, and the hotel decorations commemorate this connection.

Cons: the all-night noise. Not just on weekends (we stayed Monday and Tuesday). I have stayed in European hotels, including one above a very noisy tram stop, that had windows and shutters that shut out all the noise. Not here - you hear very loud partying all night long. No bathroom privacy, at least in the backstreet room(s). Clever use of frosted glass, but if you or your traveling partner want any privacy, you won't have it. Regular rooms are very small. View out the window was of a boarded-up building. Also, no place for unloading from taxi on busy street.

As a sound sleeper, the location and history might be enough to bring me back. But travelers should consider the comments by numerous reviewers seriously.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TheKaptainK
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I got mixed feelings when reading your commentary on your most Lisbon Xperience. I believe we've identified pros and cons but the pros may bring you back, is this it?

If so, it's great news! First the noise issue: yes it's true we have some problems in specific nights (not every night...) in specific rooms, but we're working on it since we've oppened. The old "clubs" are closing and new restaurants and shops are rising. I'm sure you'll find it different next time!

About the room size, on your next visit I advise you to go for the xpanded rooms (contact my directly so I can offer you the best available rate), thy're much bigger and with stunning views.

Please keep up the news on our facebook page!

Kind regards
NJ
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Staff was welcoming and helpful. Rooms are well-designed, though small. Well appointed bathrooms. Great location -- near the Metro, trolley and buses. Easy walk, up hill, to Baixa-Chiado. Great view of the riverfront.

Room Tip: Top floor is quiet, though sloped ceiling may not be for everyone.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind words.It was great having you with us and it's even better to feel we've been a plus on your most recent Lisbon Xperience. Hope to see you soon in the near future!

Anything you may need from us or from Lisbon don't hesitate to contact me directly. In the meanwhile keep up the news through or facebook page.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect if you want to explore the city: you can walk to almost every attraction in the old center.
Also, the design of the hotel is very nice. Basic, with some lovely touches. The rooms are very spacious and well designed.
BUT: beware of the noise. The hotel is located near a very busy nightlife street. I was there on a Tuesday night, and I even almost put my earplugs in, and that being a very easy sleeper.
Be sure to ask for a room at the other side of the hotel, should you sleep light.
On the other side: if you want to go out in Lisbon, this hotel is perfectly located for you.
I would certainly recommend this hotel, but only if you bring earplugs!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the nightlife street, in case you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We hope to see you soon back in the lx boutique hotel and on your next visit, please contact us directly so you can get access to our preferred rates (not available online).

In the meanwhile please keep up the city/hotel news through our facebook page.