“Nearly Excellent”

LX Boutique Hotel
Ranked #43 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I have just returned from Portugal and whilst there spent three nights in this smashing hotel which has many quirky features. To the important issues first. The rooms are all of a good size, having seen three of them I feel well qualified to say this. In the first room the bathroom was actually a pod style which made excellent use of space.

I didn't see any double beds during my stay, maybe twin beds are more "european" but I do prefer a double bed, even when travelling alone. The beds were excellent and the bed linen was pure, snowy white with a luxurious texture. The towels were big enough for even the buxom! The beauty products were of a good quality even if they were of unknown origin and visitors were urged to take them on leaving. Cotton bathrobes and slippers were also provided. One slightly negative comments re the twin beds; they were so close together it was impossible not to spill over on to the second bed, even if only with iPad, books, handbag, iPod etc and I was conscious of ruffling the second bed while not actually using it

All the rooms appear to be slightly different with some interesting objets artfully and strategically placed in the room. Instead of wallpaper or paint to match the rest of the room, behind the headboard was a photographic vista of one of the many beautiful views in Lisbon.

The first night's sleep was non-existent due to five gents outside my room, sitting on the railings drinking and smoking and generally enjoying themselves. So my advice is avoid room 201. The hotel is situated in a good location at the bottom of Rua de Alecrim which is in the party area, lots of restaurants and nightclubs nearby. It is also near the bridge and there are some spectacular views. The staff were most efficient and my second night was spent at the top of the hotel with no noise!

On my return I was even higher up in room 501 which is artfully set into the eaves with wonderful views of the beautiful roofs and the bridge. Slight problem on entering the room. I think a member of the cleaning staff had had a crafty fag and the smell had LINGERED long after the offender had left. As one of those ghastly born again non smokers I noticed it immediately but it was a problem easily dealt with by opening all the windows and housekeeping arrived with a pleasant smelling room spray. So, problem dealt with and I was not tempted to have a sneaky cig myself.

If arriving in the afternoon guests are treated to the local delicacy pasteis de Belem (spelling?) and a glass of port. The restaurant attached to the hotel is Japanese and the food is authentically very good, especially the sashimi. If Japanese cuisine is not to your taste then there are many options nearby. Breakfast is optional and the cost is extra. It is buffet style and very comprehensive although low on the cooked items. I think there was a scrambled egg option.

A 10 per cent loyalty card is given to visitors to encourage return trips to the hotel. Worked for me. I was returning anyway and 10 percent of something is better than ten per cent of nowt.

I would stay here again - with my discount card - because the staff are human, helpful, fallible but there to help in any way possible. They know where the best Fado is, the best tour guide, best sight at sunset. In fact they are true professionals.

Not cheap, not truly expensive but very satisfying.

Room Tip: Avoid room 201!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Tai,

Thank you for your comment and detailed description of your recent experience! I feel we've been a plus on you stay and that's critical to us!

About the cleaning staff "accident" I really don't know what to say...I'm so sorry and if you could recall the day it would be perfect (please email it to me) so I can address the situation. On the double bed issue, we do have the option, one just needs to refer it in advance!

All in all, it was great having you with us and I do feel you've enjoyed your stay. On your net visit do contact us directly so you can get access to our exclusive rates. In the meanwhile, follow our facebook page so you can keep up with the city news and hotel promotions.

Hope to see you soon.

(Hotel Director)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,552)

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Assets: great location, great view if you get a room on the river. We had the chance to be upgraded in a junior suite.
Weaknesses : helpful staff but please guys, smile! The staff looks so Depressed. They don't look at you when they speak to you as if they were afraid of connection with the client. They called us at 12:15 to tell us we had to check in... No comment. They serve the breakfast till 10 only, even on sundays. And last the quality of the decoration is debatable... Cheap cheap design. Between ikea and Zara home.. It looks like they put as little money as possible in the deco. Still it was a pleasant night... It's always cool when you are upgraded anyways...:)

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I'm glad we've enjoyed the nice upgrade we managed to offer you.

About your remarks about the staff, I'm sorry for what happened and if you could be so kind to send me a private e-mail with the dates of your stay with us it would be perfect! It's the only way I have to correct the situation.

In what concerns to the design, I'm sorry you didn't like it. It's impossible to fit everyone's taste, although the feedback we usually receive is very very positive. Just to clarify, it's not IKEA nor ZARA Home, all the decoration was made by Portuguese artists...

Hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Super place with so much charm and the added plus of the historical connections, make sure you read Ricardo Reis before staying! The area is a bit dodgy at night but close to every thing and we enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: River view is brilliant!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Tina,

Thank you for your kind words! I also value a lot the historical connections, Fernando Pessoa is one of my favorite Portuguese writers and one can feel it in the hotel! Dis you knew that the maind building stairs and restaurant door are the original ones? It's great isn't it!

On your next visit to Lisbon don't hesitate to contact us directly to get access to our exclusive rates, not available online. In the meanwhile keep up the city news and hotel promotions through our facebook page.

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

LX Boutique has to be the best place to stay when coming to Lisbon. Not only is the hotel close to all transport (including the trams) the design and amenities here are fantastic. Staff here are very helpful to the extent one of the staff offered to take our washing home with her as she couldn't find a launderette suitable for us. We eventually found one but her offer was above and beyond what normal hotel staff provide. This hotel is also located in the cool part of Lisbon (Bairro Alto) which houses awesome wine bars and restaurants with Fado. Highly recommended.

Dear Ben,

Thank you so much for these kind words! It's great to have this kind of feedback and feel our job was well done! Hope to see you back at lxboutiquehotel in the near future.

On your next visit contact us directly to get access to our exclusive prices (not available online). In the meanwhile keep up the city news and hotel promotions through our facebook page.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The suite in the roof top was splendid, with view on Rio Tejo. A charming boutique hotel few minutes walking from Chiado's boutiques and Bairro Alto. Few nice bars are also nearby to enjoy some good cocktails at night and in our suite we didn't hear any noise from the street. Perfect location, with Cais do Sodre station just in front, to do a small trip to Beleem or Cascais. The sushi's restaurant of the hotel, Confraria, was surprising with excellent sushi and breakfast was nice. It was our sixth trip to Lisbon and we will surely come back to this hotel!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words. It was great having you with us and even better to feel we've been a plus on your sixth Lisbon Xperience! The rooftop suite is indeed fantastic and either on this warm summer nights or romantic winter days, it's a fantastic spot for a late drink! Totally agree!

On your next visit don't hesitate to check directly with us for special offers we may have (not available online). In the meanwhile keep up the city and hotel news through our facebook page.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

..Is a place very good for visit Lisboa and liked of the special oof old country of portugal...: also,is all very near y the people of hotel is very atent... Is un butique hotel very in... whit a restaurante very special... Thank you...

1  Thank Andres S
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Dear Andres,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It was great having you with us and we're thrilled we've enjoyed your stay with us. The suite 505 is indeed unique!

On your next visit to Lisbon don't hesitate to contact me directly so you can get access to our preferred guests rates (not available online). In the meanwhile keep up the city news through our FB page.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

LZ Boutique Hotel is a wonder place! The hotel has very helpful staff and many touches that set it apart from others. We spent two nights at the hotel and loved our stay. The rooms are large compared to other boutique hotels and are very comfortable. The hotel also provides free port and tarts along with wine and welcome sushi as a extra touch. You also won't find a better location. There is a metro near by, you can walk to all major historical sights and are in the heart of the café/nightlife as well. In my opinion, the hotel is wonderful for couples who are looking for an active Lisbon experience. We would not hesitate to stay at the LX Boutique Hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sparky0331

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review, I'll pass these kind words to all the staff. It was great having you with us and it even better to feel we've been able to match your expectations.

Feel free to contact us directly on your next visit to Lisbon and get access to our preferred guests rates (not available online). In the meanwhile keep up the city and hotel news through our FB page.

Hope to see you in the near future.