“Great stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

A very trendy boutique hotel in Lisbon with good views. They made good use of the space in the rooms. We had a room with a massive bathroom which I liked but because we were at the top of the hotel, the slanted roof bit into the space quite a bit but overall it wasn't a problem for us. The rooms are beautifully finished and well equipped. We tried the sushi one night and it was quite good. Breakfast didn't have much variation from one day to the other but it had quite a pleasing variety and was always fresh and delicious. The staff was very professional and the hotel is well located. We were about half a block from the metro station which we took to visit other parts of Portugal and to go the beach. The only souring experience we had was from the taxi driver who charged us 10 euro from the train station when his till said 4.80 claiming the rest was for baggage. Watch out for the taxis at the train station they are an unscrupulous bunch. We were also within walking distance from the night area and the Plaza Mayor and felt pretty safe walking around in the night. I loved Lisbon and I hope to visit there again. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
lxboutiquehotel, Owner at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you took to review your experience at lx boutique hotel. It was great having you with us, I'll pass your kind words to all the staff.

I'm trully happy we became a plus on your most recent Lisbon Xperience! About the breakfast remark, it has been a work in progress since last July and it's getting better everyday. I believe you'll find it even better on your return.

On your next visit contact us directly so you can get access to our special rates, not available online. In the meanwhile keep up the city and hotel news through our facebook page.

Regards
(Hotel Director)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Indonesian first
south yorkdhire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We visited Lisbon for two days and one very comfortable night whilst staying in the Algarve. Following an early morning 3 hour bus journey we easily found the hotel situated close the cais do sodre metro station - far too early to check in - but friendly staff happy to allow us to leave our overnight bag. Perfectly placed to explore this lovely city the hotel was welcoming and slightly eclectic in style- perhaps trying a little too hard to live up to it's "boutique" listing. Our room - 312 was large and comfortable and the bed linen superbly soft and enticing after the long walk around the castle. My husband set the air conditioning a tad low for my liking but I can't complain - it was a welcome change to the basic whirring fan we left behind in the algarve!! We went out for an evening stroll - the hotel is perfectly placed near restaurants and bars - all proclaiming to be the best in Lisbon!!
We had a drink in the bar when we returned - a very nice red wine and a beer a reasonable 7.50€.
One small criticism would be the 1.50€ charge for morning coffee- I would expect this to be included in the price of the room. We did not have breakfast at 12€ but hopped on the tram to Belem for warm pastilles de nata to die for :) and a visit along the coast. This was a conscious decision rather than any issue with the hotel or price.

In summary - this hotel is ideally placed, good value but maybe trying too hard to be "boutique" without quite pulling it off. That said I would return just to sleep in those divinely soft bed sheets !! Staff were helpful and tried hard.
Thank you for making our short break in Lisbon memorable.
Elaine Pendlebury

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Dear Elaine,

Even if only for one night, it's great to feel we've been a great ending to your visit to Portugal! Thank you very much for your kind words, I'll share it with all the staff.

I don't know if I understood the boutique remark but I can assure you that we don't live obsessed with that tag. We're just us and we do our best to make our guests feel at home! That's our daily goal!

Hope to see you soon and on your next visit please contact us directly so you can get access to our exclusive rates (not available online). In the meanwhile keep up with the city news and hotel promotion through our facebook page.

Kind regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed in Lx Boutique Hotel for five nights during our summer vacation and very much enjoyed our stay in this hotel. The hotel is situated very close to public transportation, but also near several main tourist attractions (walking distance, despite the hills). Our room was clean and nicely decorated. We really enjoyed the river view of our room. Hotel staff is friendly and helpful.
We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rate101
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind words. It's great to feel we've been able to match your expectation. The river views are indeed unique in a city hotel!

On your next visit call us directly to gain access to our exclusive rates, not available online. In the meanwhile keep up with the city news and hotel promotions on our facebook page.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I have just returned from Portugal and whilst there spent three nights in this smashing hotel which has many quirky features. To the important issues first. The rooms are all of a good size, having seen three of them I feel well qualified to say this. In the first room the bathroom was actually a pod style which made excellent use of space.

I didn't see any double beds during my stay, maybe twin beds are more "european" but I do prefer a double bed, even when travelling alone. The beds were excellent and the bed linen was pure, snowy white with a luxurious texture. The towels were big enough for even the buxom! The beauty products were of a good quality even if they were of unknown origin and visitors were urged to take them on leaving. Cotton bathrobes and slippers were also provided. One slightly negative comments re the twin beds; they were so close together it was impossible not to spill over on to the second bed, even if only with iPad, books, handbag, iPod etc and I was conscious of ruffling the second bed while not actually using it

All the rooms appear to be slightly different with some interesting objets artfully and strategically placed in the room. Instead of wallpaper or paint to match the rest of the room, behind the headboard was a photographic vista of one of the many beautiful views in Lisbon.

The first night's sleep was non-existent due to five gents outside my room, sitting on the railings drinking and smoking and generally enjoying themselves. So my advice is avoid room 201. The hotel is situated in a good location at the bottom of Rua de Alecrim which is in the party area, lots of restaurants and nightclubs nearby. It is also near the bridge and there are some spectacular views. The staff were most efficient and my second night was spent at the top of the hotel with no noise!

On my return I was even higher up in room 501 which is artfully set into the eaves with wonderful views of the beautiful roofs and the bridge. Slight problem on entering the room. I think a member of the cleaning staff had had a crafty fag and the smell had LINGERED long after the offender had left. As one of those ghastly born again non smokers I noticed it immediately but it was a problem easily dealt with by opening all the windows and housekeeping arrived with a pleasant smelling room spray. So, problem dealt with and I was not tempted to have a sneaky cig myself.

If arriving in the afternoon guests are treated to the local delicacy pasteis de Belem (spelling?) and a glass of port. The restaurant attached to the hotel is Japanese and the food is authentically very good, especially the sashimi. If Japanese cuisine is not to your taste then there are many options nearby. Breakfast is optional and the cost is extra. It is buffet style and very comprehensive although low on the cooked items. I think there was a scrambled egg option.

A 10 per cent loyalty card is given to visitors to encourage return trips to the hotel. Worked for me. I was returning anyway and 10 percent of something is better than ten per cent of nowt.

I would stay here again - with my discount card - because the staff are human, helpful, fallible but there to help in any way possible. They know where the best Fado is, the best tour guide, best sight at sunset. In fact they are true professionals.

Not cheap, not truly expensive but very satisfying.

Room Tip: Avoid room 201!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Tai,

Thank you for your comment and detailed description of your recent experience! I feel we've been a plus on you stay and that's critical to us!

About the cleaning staff "accident" I really don't know what to say...I'm so sorry and if you could recall the day it would be perfect (please email it to me) so I can address the situation. On the double bed issue, we do have the option, one just needs to refer it in advance!

All in all, it was great having you with us and I do feel you've enjoyed your stay. On your net visit do contact us directly so you can get access to our exclusive rates. In the meanwhile, follow our facebook page so you can keep up with the city news and hotel promotions.

Hope to see you soon.

matvei007
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Assets: great location, great view if you get a room on the river. We had the chance to be upgraded in a junior suite.
Weaknesses : helpful staff but please guys, smile! The staff looks so Depressed. They don't look at you when they speak to you as if they were afraid of connection with the client. They called us at 12:15 to tell us we had to check in... No comment. They serve the breakfast till 10 only, even on sundays. And last the quality of the decoration is debatable... Cheap cheap design. Between ikea and Zara home.. It looks like they put as little money as possible in the deco. Still it was a pleasant night... It's always cool when you are upgraded anyways...:)

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I'm glad we've enjoyed the nice upgrade we managed to offer you.

About your remarks about the staff, I'm sorry for what happened and if you could be so kind to send me a private e-mail with the dates of your stay with us it would be perfect! It's the only way I have to correct the situation.

In what concerns to the design, I'm sorry you didn't like it. It's impossible to fit everyone's taste, although the feedback we usually receive is very very positive. Just to clarify, it's not IKEA nor ZARA Home, all the decoration was made by Portuguese artists...

Hope to see you in the near future.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Super place with so much charm and the added plus of the historical connections, make sure you read Ricardo Reis before staying! The area is a bit dodgy at night but close to every thing and we enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: River view is brilliant!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Tina,

Thank you for your kind words! I also value a lot the historical connections, Fernando Pessoa is one of my favorite Portuguese writers and one can feel it in the hotel! Dis you knew that the maind building stairs and restaurant door are the original ones? It's great isn't it!

On your next visit to Lisbon don't hesitate to contact us directly to get access to our exclusive rates, not available online. In the meanwhile keep up the city news and hotel promotions through our facebook page.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

LX Boutique has to be the best place to stay when coming to Lisbon. Not only is the hotel close to all transport (including the trams) the design and amenities here are fantastic. Staff here are very helpful to the extent one of the staff offered to take our washing home with her as she couldn't find a launderette suitable for us. We eventually found one but her offer was above and beyond what normal hotel staff provide. This hotel is also located in the cool part of Lisbon (Bairro Alto) which houses awesome wine bars and restaurants with Fado. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Ben,

Thank you so much for these kind words! It's great to have this kind of feedback and feel our job was well done! Hope to see you back at lxboutiquehotel in the near future.

On your next visit contact us directly to get access to our exclusive prices (not available online). In the meanwhile keep up the city news and hotel promotions through our facebook page.