“Rave Reviews????”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Canton
“Rave Reviews????”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

There must be two LX Boutique hotels in Lisbon. The one I stayed at certainly doesn't deserve the rave reviews I am seeing.

From the beginning: Arriving by taxi, you cannot be left off at the front door. In the old part of town, drive up space is not available, and cabs do not like to stop in the street, so you schlep a bit. But, at the front door, confronted by a steep flight of stairs, no one is in sight to help lug the bags up.

The reception at the front desk was cool, indifferent, and detached. I had the urge to ask if I should come back at a later time. I felt as if I were intruding and felt nothing like a guest.

The room was nice. Large, big windows. large bathroom. But.....the lighting in the room was atrocious. Some soft indirect lights behind the headboard, two ridiculous little half watt goose neck leds at the head of the bed which were insufficient as reading lights, much less room lights. There was a light at the desk a the far end of the room. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Likewise, the coffee maker didn't work. There was no power coming in to the outlet. I told the front desk, and when I left three days later, it still didn't work.

The toilet in the bathroom was some ridiculous little square thing. I am telling you guys, you will not be able to sit and do your business without dragging you equipment across the toilet seat.

Breakfast buffet allegedly starts at 7:30. The first day I was there, they were still putting the breakfast display together. The second day, there were no eggs. They finally arrived at 7:45 (I assume those were the eggs, but it could just as well have been some kind of yellow soup). The third day there was no butter. It took five minutes to get some. The fourth day I had an opportunity to play "find the carafe". The coffee and the milk come in exactly the same carafes. In sprite of the fact the sign said "coffe", it wasn't.

The beds were simply ok. The pillows something less than ok.

The hvac was fine, except you needed a flashlight to see the lcd readout (I told you the lighting was bad).

Not very impressed.

Room Tip: I would avoid a room overlooking the street by the main entrance. Cafes and bars can play "th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank zaxmtn
lxboutiquehotel, Proprietário at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Client,

Thank you for the time you took to review your stay with us.

Allow me to contest your conclusion. The large majority of the reviewers had an opposite experience of yours and so, it's not a different hotel, it's a different opinion.

About, your specific complaints, I'll try to go through them one by one.

Location: Normally it's where we rate the best. The lx boutique hotel is located in the city center, between cobbled street a historical monuments. It's very difficult to have "clean" enterances to the buildings but, the way I see it, it's the price one pays to be in the City Center. I sugest that next time you should look for an hotel outside the downtown districts.

Room: I will not argue this with you as it is a matter of taste. Our rooms are thought to provide maxim confort to help recovering from the city exploration. The illumination is soft, the colour pallete was studied by specialists, the beds and linnen are top quality and a major investment was made on the accoustic. On the bathroom, we were concerned with a great shower with great pressure and temperature.

Breakfast: I've tryied to understand if anything extraordinary happened during those days. Nothing special to report. Our breakfast is ranked on the Lisbon TOP 5 and normally we have a very good feedback on it. This beeing sad, obviously you can have bad days, and obviously we cannot please everyone. On this situations, I sugest you to report to the frontdesk. We would refund it no questions asked.

All in all, I'm very sorry you could not be a plus on your recent Lisbon experience. I'm sorry for such a long reply but I felt the urge to give you a detailed explanation for everything. We're not used to this ratings so we feel it's important to clear any doubt.

I trully hope you can give us a chance to change your opinion. Feel free to contact me directly.

(Hotel Director)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Indonesian first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Location
Hotel is nicely located close to Cais do Sodre train and metro station. There is ferry terminal too. The airport bus has its end station also here, but I recommend the metro connection from airport, with change at Almeida. As we left from hotel, traffic was chaotic, so metro has no traffic jams.
Arrival
to the hotel, staff greeted with warm welcome. After check-in porter guided us to the room. One of the best arrivals to a hotel.
Room
Beds are really comfortable. Bathroom was very nice, door 0 shaped. In the night you have remember to raise your foot over the doorstep or pain will hit your toes. Bathroom is separated by glass wall from the rest of the room. This divider divides also opinions. It has pro's and con's. During the day bathroom is lighted without turning lights on. On the contrary at night, if you turn lights on, the bedroom area becomes lighted. Bathroom has basic amenities in small bottles by Sampar (Paris) cosmetics.
No wardrobe is bit odd, but you can use the boxes for most of the clothing. Shirts you can hang on the wall. Safe is nicely located, in our room next to other night table. Easier to access and I'm sure that all thieves know to search for the safe in the wardrobe. Some first floor rooms are subject to street noise and some at night for bar noise, latter is not very strong waking you up. For very sensitive people, it might disturb, when you try to catch sleep. I didn't wake for the noise, notice just at one point at night.
Staff
Generally staff was extremely helpful and gave lot of good tips. Only negative happened on check-out as we reported that one of the power sockets in the room was not working. Front desk lady was very busy with phone, so she was multi-tasking and checking us out. It left me the feeling that socket stays in-operational, as she did not write it down. I got the feeling that some staff are bit lost, I guess that they were newer, but all had same positive service attitude
Restaurant
Hotel has japanese restaurant, where they also offer welcome drinks. It is very good based on few pieces of Sushi.
As summary, this is a boutique hotel, so you have to forgive also some aspects that normal traveller finds odd. These aspects are also the spice why you choose boutique.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mWrite
lxboutiquehotel, Gerente geral at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you took to make such a detailed review on your experience with us! It was great having you here and we really hope to see you soon back at the lx boutique hotel.

In general I agree with everuthing you said! About the nightlight from the bathroom it's a contraint we're aware and that's why the rooms of the new building already have blinds betwwen the bathroom and the room! Problem solved and to be replicated to all the hotel really soon.

About the power socket I would like to say that is already fixed, thanks for the remark.

On your return, don't forget to check our website promotions, where you'll allways find the best deals! In the meanwhile keep up the city and hotel news through our fb page.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Great hotel in every way. Nicely decorated, yummy breakfast, friendly and helpful staff, comfy rooms with amazing black out blinds. Fab location for a getaway in Lisbon. Highly recommend it! Great for couples and business trips alike. Good location, 10 minute walk to city centre and right next to a metro centre if walking isn't your thing.

• Stayed April 2014
lxboutiquehotel, Gerente geral at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you took to review your experience with us. It was great having at lx boutique hotel and even better to feel we became a plus on your most recent Lisbona Xperience. I do agree, it's a fab location!

Keep up the city and hotel news through our fb page and check our website before booking your return! The great deals are there!

Hope to see you soon!

Kind regards
NY
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

It is a very friendly hotel, we stayed there for 5 nights. Everyone were accommodating. All the staff were knowledgeable enough to give us recommendations on where to eat, where to go, what transportation to take. The breakfast was good, even Carina was very helpful, she accommodated our request of dry and well done scrambled eggs and fried bacon strips every morning, and served it with smiles on her face. Pedro also was very helpful always alert and ready to assist in any way he could. Overall we enjoyed our stay in Portugal a lot because of the friendly staff of LX BOUTIQUE HOTEL, not to mention it is centrally located few meters away to the metro, bus, train, and tram stops. We intend to go back to Portugal and stay in the same hotel again. Keep up the good work LX BOUTIQUE HOTEL staff!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Levita,

Thank you so much for your kind words! It was great to have you with us and even better to feel you felt at home! That's our ultimate goal, make our guests feel like they were spending some time at a friend's home!

On your next visit don't forget to check our promotions on our website, we guarantee the best online deals! In the meanwhile keep up the city and hotel news through our fb page. Any thing you may need from us don't hesitate to ask!

Hope to see you soon.

(Hotel Manager)

PS- Pedro and Carina say hi!
Ottawa
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights after cycling the coast of Portugal. The hotel was beautiful - all decorated in blue, reminiscent of the ocean, and with unique styling in the bathroom. The location was great - we walked to the river and could go for miles. Food at breakfast was superb - fresh juices, pasties, fresh fruit. We really enjoyed the treat of port and custard tarts in the evening. Unfortunately we ran out of time to try to adjacent restaurant.

1 Thank DustyOttawa
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the time you took to review your experience with us, it was great having you at lx boutique hotel. I'm impressed with your adventure, cycling the coast of Portugal! Amazing, too match such an experience make us really proud!

On your next visit to Lisbon (with time to try our fantastic restaurant) don't forget to check our website promotions, we guarantee the best online deals! In the meanwhile, keep up the city and hotel news through our fb page.

(Hotel Manager)
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was a hotel stay with a big difference. Like many of us I've been in many hotels across Europe at varying price ranges but this is one that will stick in my memory. Tastefully decorated with local Portuguese touches and a bathroom in a trendy pod! Staff were courteous, knowledgeable and helpful. The added difference ...... Complimentary Lisbon cakes and port to welcome you back in the afternoon and complimentary wine and sushi each evening of our stay in the lovely lounge / eating area. The sushi restaurant was pretty special too. Would love to return.

Room Tip: We had a superior 302 which was the mid price of 5. It had 3 wonderful traditional double doored win...
1 Thank Julie H
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Julie,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is great to feel we've been able to be a plus on your most recent Lisbon Xperience! It was a pleasure having you with us!

Our daily goal is to make our guests feel as they were at a friend's home! This is our way to receive "friends" in Portugal and that's why we care so much about these "special differences"!

Hope to see you soon in the near future. On your return check our website for special offers (best online price guaranteed), in the meanwhile keep up the city news through our facebook page.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

As described by the hotel website... this is a cute boutique hotel.
Basically it is housed in an old building and it has been decorated in a slightly funky manner. The rooms are small (we had a standard room with a street view), but they have made features out of the necessary size constraints. E.g. wardrobes are replaced by hanging rack on the walls.
Also the bathroom shares a frosted glass wall with the bedroom (it means you can see someone's head in the bathroom if they are standing up) - which was fine with us.

The room was clean and while basic, it had everything (safe, hairdryer, good shower).

Two other things to note... the hotel is a great location - walking distance to Alfama, Chiado, Baixa, next to Bario Alto... and a short tram to Belem. So perfect really.
And the thing not mentioned on the site is the really nice bar that was part of the hotel. Part of our stay we had a welcome drink and sushi there - complimentary each evening.
We didn't bother with breakfast so can't comment there.

I would stay there again, and because it wasn't expensive I might even upgrade to a bigger room.

2 Thank Mark T
lxboutiquehotel, Manager at LX Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Mark,

Thank so much for the time you took to review your experience with us, it's great to feel we've been a plus on you must recent visit to Lisbon! Hope to see you soon in the near future.

The location is indeed unique, I have to agree with you! One walks out of the hotel and everything is as distant as a 5mt walk! Keep up the city news on our facebook page and check our special promotions on our website (best price guaranteed!).

If you need anything from us don't hesitate to contact.