“Excellent and relaxing stay”

Olissippo Lapa Palace
Ranked #14 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 25 April 2009

After staying at the Sofitel for five days to travel around Lisbon, I moved to stay at the Lapa Palace for the last two days of my trip. I wanted to have some relaxing moments after days of sightseeing, and from the hotel's description, it seemed like a perfect place for that. And my expectation was definitely met.

My room was spacious and charmingly decorated in a classical style, the bathroom had a separate tub and a shower, and I loved the toiletries provided. My only initial small disappointment was that my "riverview" room only had a partial view of the river, obstructed by the view of the hotel's outdoor pool and the trees surrounding it. Still, as the view over the garden and the pool was pleasant enough and I could see the red roofs dotting a hill across from the hotel, I was quite satisfied in the end.

I also booked two treatments at the La Prairie spa at the hotel, and they were one of the best spa treatments I've received, and the staff were very professional and friendly. I did not use the indoor pool, but I did use the outdoor pool in one evening. The weather was cool in the evening, so I was the only one using the pool, but since the pool was heated, I had a great time swimming in the uncrowded pool. I also had a dinner at the Cipriani restaurant in the hotel, and the restaurant had a very romantic atmosphere, and the food was top-notch.

I think the Lapa Palace is a great "urban resort" hotel, but I don't think it's conveniently located for sightseeing. It took me about 15-20 minutes by taxi to get to the hotel from the Sofitel, which is located in Avenida da Liberdade, and I would imagine that it would take around the same time to get to the Bairro Alto or more for Alfama. However, the Lapa Palace suited my purpose of stay, and I enjoyed every minute of my stay there.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank somanycontradictions
Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed 21 March 2009

I have recently organized our yearly 3 Day Sales Conference at the Lapa Palace hotel and where I have received an outstanding five star service.

I had the constant feeling that I had a team behind me to help make the event a successful one, giving me the opportunity to stay focused on the content of the event. From the inspection visit to the end of the event I have received constant and careful attention with a team of people really supportive.

At the Lapa Palace you can of course take for granted a superior service to which you can add some little attentions that help make life easier and nicer.

I would recommend the Lapa Palace to any meeting manager.

Barbara Ghini
Italy
Ghini.b@alice.it

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2009

An oasis in Lisbon - lovely gardens to laze away the day with a super swimming pool and nice lunch options.

Rooms are great and up to the Orient Express standard as are the staff which are discreet but friendly and approachable. Super concierge, which booked us some good restaurants and fado. The hotels own dining options are good too.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Simon R
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Hard to fault this hotel. I was however slightly surprised approaching it as photos always make it look like it's on the top of a hill all by itself, when in fact it's situated amongst various foreign embassies. However, it's a pleasant area and the hotel is in very nice landscaped grounds.

Absolutely nothing to fault with the room - large and comfy. Added to the fact I became ill whilst staying here, and I couldn't have felt more cosseted in the large bed.

Enjoyed the very good breakfasts, and also the lunches around the pool. But sadly didn't enjoy anything I ate in the evening at the swish restaurant. There was nothing wrong with the cooking - I presume Portuguese food just isn't to my taste? On Saturday evening everyone had made an effort to dress up and look smart whilst dining on the terrace with impressive views, however the management allowed some fool to ruin the atmosphere by wearing a football shirt and lower the tone. Why do upmarket hotels and restaurants allow this? When people dress up for dinner they don't want to sit next to someone who looks like a football hooligan.

This could have been the most delightful retreat, however it was spoilt by one selfish nouveau riche Spanish woman who allowed her three boys to ruin everyone's peace around the pool every day with their shouting and kicking a football. There were complaints, and the hotel manager should have taken steps to have a quiet word. Laying around this pool should have been wonderful as the pool and grounds are lovely.

Although we didn't use it, the indoor pool and spa looked impressive.

The service in the hotel was faultless, as was the standards of decoration. Though we felt hugely let down upon leaving when we were left to retrieve our own luggage from behind the reception. It left us feeling like "we've got your money, now get your bags yourself" - so that left us rather bemused. Why did no one help us?

For character I do believe this to probably be the best hotel in Lisbon. I toyed over staying at the Four Seasons though it doesn't have a proper outdoors swimming pool, and it's quite an ugly building. If Lisbon itself had impressed I would be tempted to stay at the Lapa Palace again, though my everlasting impression of this city is that it is covered in graffiti - I've never seen a city so destroyed by vandalism.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 5 December 2008

I've been there in july with my wife visiting my cousin in Portugal.
This is a really very good hotel with excellents acommodations.
For my friends in Portugal:
Este é um hotel com excelente staff e ótimos quartos.
Muito bom mesmo.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cierco
Reviewed 3 December 2008

We spent 4 days in the Lapa Palace. The hotel is very intimate and have a magnificent garden. The service was very good, bar, restaurant, housekeeping, spa, reception, everywhere we were meet by a friendly smile and fast service. Room river view) was spacious, clean and with a great view over the river and nearby cityarea. Breakfast was good and finally a hotel that have proper orange juice freshly squeezed. Food in restaurant is very delicious and you can eat well in nce bar also.
The outdoor pool is lovely, heated so it is possible to swim during the colder season also Indoor pool is good, with fresh supply of towels and "sunbeds" .
The Prairie Spa is good, the attendants some of the best we have met..
Reception, concierge, and doorman provided nice, relaxed and good service.
Hotel architecture is very nice, and the hotel is situated in the embassy area, with many interesting streets to walk. 15 min to walk to city centre.
The hotel is relatively expensive, but have some nice packages which gives a better deal.
Overall this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in on holiday, and we have stayes many places.
And, yes we hope to return !

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kurtis101
Reviewed 2 October 2008

This is the second time in bussiness we stayed in Portugal on march/2008, and one more time i felt in love for such a beautiful country. We arrived after lunch on Lapa Palace, at the entrance such amazing tall gentleman (sorry not to mention the name) received us Me and my wife, from that moment we fell that our stay would be completelly marvellous, a beautiful lady from the reception took us to the room, we stayed on the 3rd floor of the Garden Wing on Lapa Palace Hotel, the room was so beautiful, tidy and clean, all perfect in the room, the only problem was the noises from childrens in the hall, and from the Spa that was just a few seconds away from our room, the reception lady was always in the morning speaking very loudly and in a non friendly way, unfortunately we didn't had time to do Spa Treatments, maybe next time. We went to the restaurant Cipriani the food was superb, and we had the privilege to speak with the chef, such an encharming person.
The only thing we regret, was our short stay. But we are already planning a trip next year, and defenetelly we'll stay on Lapa Palace.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business