“Superb.”

Ranked #8 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Superb.”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Absolutely superb place. The low key frontage hides a gem behind the doors. Rooms are huge, luxurious and really well equipped, the pool and gardens are a quiet paradise in the heat of the day and the service is excellent from the minute the doorman opens the car door as you arrive to the moment he closes it as you leave.

The piano bar is intimate and relaxing in the evening and don't miss dinner on the verandah overlooking the pool and garden, the lights of the castle and the River Douro.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Man-in-a-car

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 13 July 2009

This was our first trip to Lisbon and Portugal for that fact.

I've never had such an impression of service BEFORE arriving at hotel like I did at Lapa. I bombarded the concierge team (Riu and Hugo) with tons of e-mails about planning a tour, my wife's birthday, and other suggestions. They were tremendous, always responded within 1/2 a day, and were always extremely friendly and helpful.

So, our check in was smooth and our room was very nice.

Room: We got a Riverview Room (You can hardly see the River as others suggested) and we were on the 4th Floor (5 floors total). Yet, the view of the pool and grounds is awesome.

Room is well equipped and has a really nice balcony. The bathroom is nicely equipped (I'd give the room a 4 star compared to others we have stayed at, but for Europe very nice). They do have a Pillow Selection Menu - Please make sure to try a few out, very nice touch.

Grounds: The pool area is beatiful. They have palm trees, small ponds with live turtles, fish, and beatiful ducks walking the grounds. You won't feel you are in Lisbon (the rest of the city is pretty rugged).

Location: Its not even close to anything. Yet, who cares and its not a city you want to stay in "city center". This is not Paris. So, if you go to Lisbon please stay here and just realize you need to grab cabs (usually inexpensive)

Food: We did not eat in the restaurant, but the breakfast was very nice. They have cereal, eggs you can order to your liking, cheeses, fresh fruit juices, breads, and teas/coffees. They did make my wife a birthday cake and it was phenomenal.

Service: Let me put it this way, we stayed at Four Seasons Paris (after Lapa) and its considered the best hotel in the world (which it is) and Lapa's service was right up there with them.

We let them know its our anniversary and my wife's b-day and they left us a bottle of Port and 2 bottles of Champagne. C'Mon that is amazing on the house!!!!

Thanks Lapa for the memories and Obrigado!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MonteChicago
Brooklyn
Reviewed 27 May 2009

The accommodations are truly 5-star and that applies fully to the staff. They are up-to-date with what's happening in Portugal. They are also very savvy about the history of Portugal and its application to today's activities. This is the place to go for elegance and care.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Brooklyntraveler09
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 April 2009

After staying at the Sofitel for five days to travel around Lisbon, I moved to stay at the Lapa Palace for the last two days of my trip. I wanted to have some relaxing moments after days of sightseeing, and from the hotel's description, it seemed like a perfect place for that. And my expectation was definitely met.

My room was spacious and charmingly decorated in a classical style, the bathroom had a separate tub and a shower, and I loved the toiletries provided. My only initial small disappointment was that my "riverview" room only had a partial view of the river, obstructed by the view of the hotel's outdoor pool and the trees surrounding it. Still, as the view over the garden and the pool was pleasant enough and I could see the red roofs dotting a hill across from the hotel, I was quite satisfied in the end.

I also booked two treatments at the La Prairie spa at the hotel, and they were one of the best spa treatments I've received, and the staff were very professional and friendly. I did not use the indoor pool, but I did use the outdoor pool in one evening. The weather was cool in the evening, so I was the only one using the pool, but since the pool was heated, I had a great time swimming in the uncrowded pool. I also had a dinner at the Cipriani restaurant in the hotel, and the restaurant had a very romantic atmosphere, and the food was top-notch.

I think the Lapa Palace is a great "urban resort" hotel, but I don't think it's conveniently located for sightseeing. It took me about 15-20 minutes by taxi to get to the hotel from the Sofitel, which is located in Avenida da Liberdade, and I would imagine that it would take around the same time to get to the Bairro Alto or more for Alfama. However, the Lapa Palace suited my purpose of stay, and I enjoyed every minute of my stay there.

Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank somanycontradictions
Faenza
Reviewed 21 March 2009

I have recently organized our yearly 3 Day Sales Conference at the Lapa Palace hotel and where I have received an outstanding five star service.

I had the constant feeling that I had a team behind me to help make the event a successful one, giving me the opportunity to stay focused on the content of the event. From the inspection visit to the end of the event I have received constant and careful attention with a team of people really supportive.

At the Lapa Palace you can of course take for granted a superior service to which you can add some little attentions that help make life easier and nicer.

I would recommend the Lapa Palace to any meeting manager.

Barbara Ghini
Italy
Ghini.b@alice.it

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2009

An oasis in Lisbon - lovely gardens to laze away the day with a super swimming pool and nice lunch options.

Rooms are great and up to the Orient Express standard as are the staff which are discreet but friendly and approachable. Super concierge, which booked us some good restaurants and fado. The hotels own dining options are good too.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Simon R
London
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Hard to fault this hotel. I was however slightly surprised approaching it as photos always make it look like it's on the top of a hill all by itself, when in fact it's situated amongst various foreign embassies. However, it's a pleasant area and the hotel is in very nice landscaped grounds.

Absolutely nothing to fault with the room - large and comfy. Added to the fact I became ill whilst staying here, and I couldn't have felt more cosseted in the large bed.

Enjoyed the very good breakfasts, and also the lunches around the pool. But sadly didn't enjoy anything I ate in the evening at the swish restaurant. There was nothing wrong with the cooking - I presume Portuguese food just isn't to my taste? On Saturday evening everyone had made an effort to dress up and look smart whilst dining on the terrace with impressive views, however the management allowed some fool to ruin the atmosphere by wearing a football shirt and lower the tone. Why do upmarket hotels and restaurants allow this? When people dress up for dinner they don't want to sit next to someone who looks like a football hooligan.

This could have been the most delightful retreat, however it was spoilt by one selfish nouveau riche Spanish woman who allowed her three boys to ruin everyone's peace around the pool every day with their shouting and kicking a football. There were complaints, and the hotel manager should have taken steps to have a quiet word. Laying around this pool should have been wonderful as the pool and grounds are lovely.

Although we didn't use it, the indoor pool and spa looked impressive.

The service in the hotel was faultless, as was the standards of decoration. Though we felt hugely let down upon leaving when we were left to retrieve our own luggage from behind the reception. It left us feeling like "we've got your money, now get your bags yourself" - so that left us rather bemused. Why did no one help us?

For character I do believe this to probably be the best hotel in Lisbon. I toyed over staying at the Four Seasons though it doesn't have a proper outdoors swimming pool, and it's quite an ugly building. If Lisbon itself had impressed I would be tempted to stay at the Lapa Palace again, though my everlasting impression of this city is that it is covered in graffiti - I've never seen a city so destroyed by vandalism.

• Liked — large rooms with good views - great beds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)