As Janelas Verdes
    Hotel Maia(Lisbon)
    Average 3/5
        • Breakfast included
        1,038 results
        All reviewshonesty barthird floortop floorancient arthonor barlovely libraryde artehonor systemlibrary roomcomplimentary port winecharming hotelbrown toiletrieswhere breakfast is serveduntil noontagus riversmall hotelpublic rooms
        FilterAll languages
        Reviewed 25 October 2011

My wife and I stayed three nights in this lovely small hotel. We were very pleased with our choice but I did not give it 5 stars for a couple of reasons. The positives were: The library views were great and the peaceful garden area for breakfast was also great. The room we had was large and clean but with a view of the street. The staff was super friendly and always went out of their way to be helpful. The hotel was full of charm with nice sitting areas, free hot beverages including expresso, and free sherry which was always refilled in the room. We had a large king sized bed but it was a little firm but tolerable (too firm for me but my friends staying in the hotel liked it).

The negatives were: The hotel was kind of off the beaten path and in a very quite area. Some may like this as the bus stopped right outside the hotel but it was a long walk to most of the sites. Our view from the room was of the street and the building directly across the road. The pillows were very small and not very comfortable (however I did not ask for bigger ones). The shower was very narrow and I did not like having the shower curtain rub up against me as I showered. There was no separate conditioner and although there was good water pressure, the water temp was a little too cool so that I had to have only the hot water turned all the way up for warm water. The noise from the street was loud so you could not sleep with windows open, however with windows closed it was quite and we were lucky to be on the third floor. The breakfast although served in a lovely setting did not seem to be worth the 14 euros charged.

All in all I would recommend this hotel and I did enjoy my stay. For the price of the rooms it is a very good value and the staff as well as the cleanliness make up for any shortcomings.

Room Tip: If possible ask for high floor and view of the water our courtyard.
        • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
        4  Thank luv2travel63
        Reviewed 18 October 2011

Selected this delightful boutique "b & b" after examining all choices on the internet under "luxurious boutique bed and breakfasts". We were well rewarded. The whole staff was very helpful and friendly. Recommendations were excellent for restaurants and "getting around options". We stayed 2 nights in Room 10, and returned later for an additional stay of 5 nights in Room 14. We preferred Room 14 which was just over the street entrance (and larger and more charming). The breakfasts in the lovely garden were wonderfully satisfying. We would certainly like to return.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
        Reviewed 9 October 2011

This is an authentic beautiful hotel off the beaten path but completely convenient to anywhere in Lisbon. I stayed one night in Baxia area which has many shops, restaurants and activity so when I moved to As Janelas Verdes I thought I would feel isolated but I did not. I liked the quiet and slower pace in this neighborhood but that's not to say there isn't night life, arts and restaurants within walking distance because there is.
        The hotel staff, particularly Ana was extremely helpful and enthusiastic. The view from the library overlooking the water is breathtaking and there are several gathering rooms throughout the hotel which make it a perfect location for family reunions, birthday's or wedding groups. I am not sure if all the guest rooms have bath tubs but mine did which is a welcome relief after a long day of walking, particularly up so many hills. There are nice touches such as complimentary port wine in our rooms which was perfect for the middle of the night when I couldn't get back to sleep. The honor bar system works great and is well stocked with snacks and beverages. It's more like a small cafeteria with dozens of offerings. I haven't had breakfast yet so can't compare to others but everything I have seen I love and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a peaceful beautiful property.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
        1  Thank ARubins
        Reviewed 1 October 2011

As Janelas Verdes is a boutique hotel in a real neighborhood of Lisbon, yet close to the city center. The staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming. They had restaurant recommendations and help with reservations. Went so far as to advise the direct bus into town rather than a taxi. There is a delightful top floor library and view roof terrace for cocktails and conversation. Beautiful guest rooms and public rooms and a charming, open-air tiled patio for breakfast. Highest recommendation.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
        Reviewed 18 September 2011

This small hotel is part of the Heritage Group of hotels in Lisbon. Wonderful welcome, excellent rooms and bathrooms. There is a marvellous balcony with a fantastic view of the river and the 25 abril bridge. If you are coming with a car make sure to book your place in the small garage. We did not eat in the restaurant but breakfasts were copious and varied. The hotel is very close to the Museo Nacional de Arte Antiga which is definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing onto the busy street are all equipped with excellent double glazing so even these rooms are quiet.
        • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends