York House
US$295
Hotel Avenida Palace(Lisbon)
US$313
Cancelon
All reviewsformer conventfriendly boutique hotelportuguese winereal lisbonsmall hotelno elevatorrestaurant stafftwin bedshotel lobbycity centrestayed two nightsbreakfast was excellenteach morningquiet streetsuperior roomyogurtmetro station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This was a return visit going on the excellent lunch we had there a few years ago. This time we chose to stay for the remainder of our holiday.
It is a very charming boutique hotel with quite a history. We had a very comfortable room in a classic style(other styles are available). There is an overall calmness about the place with a cool garden to sit in under the shade of an enormous palm tree.
The reception staff are very friendly and helpful.
I would have given it another star if the food had been better so we only ate there once. The chef that was there before has obviously moved on. Pity.
The breakfast was very good, with a large choice. Something for everyone. And all meals are served in the garden, weather permitting.
The location is quiet and a bit far from the nearest underground service. But there are trams and buses just around the corner.
All in all a very decent place to stay if you want a bit of peace and quiet.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 8 September 2013

As other reviewers have noted, the entrance of the hotel is a bit shabby but the courtyard of the hotel is a lovely surprise with trees, lots of greenery and a beautiful dining area. The Wifi (which is one of the facilities I specifically looked out for in choosing this hotel) was, disappointingly, not working, and although I was offered a dongle for use on my laptop, it was the ability to access the internet with my iPhone that I required.
The room was clean with modern decor. The room overlooked the roof of an adjacent building so the view was not good, but I was out of the room for most of the day so this was not an issue for me. However, I had a major problem with ants in my bathroom. Although I understand that this type of problem is something that is outside the control of hotel staff, when I rang about the problem a member of staff came round, simply wiped the ants that happened to be there at that moment away, and said that the staff would deal with the problem on the following day. After he left large numbers of ants swarmed into the bathroom (and into the bath). It was difficult to avoid them getting on my slippers and carrying them into the bedroom. I didn't have a good night and had to leave early in the morning for a meeting before the main receptionist was in attendance. I mentioned the problem again but the message was not conveyed to the day staff. I was offered a change of room but this was left until late in the day, just before I had to go out. I think that the whole problem should, and could have been dealt with more professionally.
The hotel is a little distance from most of the places of interest, but there are buses and trams that are readily accessible and fairly reliable.
I had dinner at the restaurant on my first evening at the hotel. I found the service to be slow and not very friendly. The food wasn't good - it was stodgy and bland.
I would not go back to this hotel if I were to visit Lisbon in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the main road.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank F00Dandtravel
Reviewed 5 August 2013

we spent a week end. A dream....the hotel is in an old building but with a new decoration. It is a very peaceful and pleasant place. the staff is very kind, and helpful no more to add...the town is also great for a week end, a lot of things to see with beautiful museums.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at York House on a three day Lisbon city trip (after a beautiful trip along the coast).
The entrance of the hotel is a bit scruffy, but when you ascend the stairs, you come to a lovely terrace, a city surprise!
We had lunch one time at the restaurant, excellent food.
Breakfast buffet is not the best, but value for money at EUR 15,00.
We stayed in a superior room, which was good, but not excellent.
Friendliness of the staff is very person dependent, some were lovely, some were a bit gruff.

Room Tip: Don't expect a room with a view, be very specific when booking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Our initial impression was disappointing due to the 42 steps up to the courtyard and reception, but we were met by a pleasant man who took charge of our bags. The courtyard is the heart of the hotel, green and cool and welcoming on a warm Lisbon day. The staff was pleasant and most helpful. Internet was not working when we were there, but they happily shared the office computer at a moment's notice. Our "design" room was light and bright, but could have used a picture or two on the walls. The bathroom was modern. Our friends stayed in a "deluxe" room - it was one of the older, traditional rooms, filled with lovely antiques, and more spacious than ours. We chose not to have breakfast as it was just the "same old stuff" for 15 euros each. But there is a lovely pastry shop a few doors down where we went for coffee and a light bite. The hotel restaurant is expensive and not very good, but there are quite a few lovely local places with walking distance which we discovered and enjoyed. The necessary buses and trolley into the center or to Belem are a few steps away from the entrance (and taxis are inexpensive in Lisbon). This hotel is not for everyone, but its secluded location offered us a relaxing place to return to at the end of a busy day. I would not recommend it for families, but rather for couples or several couples/friends traveling together. It is clean and well staffed, a more traditional European hotel with a sense of history. The trees in the courtyard must have decades of stories, if only they could talk.

Room Tip: Historic rooms are termed "deluxe" on the reservation form and are bit pricier. "Design" rooms have larger beds and are comfortable, but less spacious.
Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple