“Lovely quiet hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #158 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Lovely quiet hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

I was surprised at nelsonw99's review. My wife and I have stayed at the York House on three occasions over the years and never had anything other than friendly, helpful attention from the staff. The rooms are excellent, the food is good and the location is convenient, very close to trams to take you all over the city. Not a cheap hotel but good value for the money you pay.
The one minor drawback is the ascent up the stairs from street level to the Hotel on top of the old cliff. It is not a burden to the young and healthy but at my age of 80 I do wish they could install a lift up the cliff face

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

The reception staff--all of them--treated us as if we were annoyances to be brushed off as quickly as possible so they could get back to their conversations with each other. This would have been bad enough in a 25€ hotel but was outrageous at York House. In fact, we were treated much better at 25€ hotels in other parts of Portugal. Nice rooms, though, especially on the second floor. Internet computer costs something like 20€ per hour. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nelsonw99
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

My husband and I reserved a room at this hotel for our first two nights in Lisbon so that we'd have a place to "land". After searching many hotels on line I landed on this one because (A) it had a room available for 2 nights, and (B) it was off the beaten path which I had hoped meant a bit quieter for sleeping.

We were welcomed by a porter who carried our very heavy bags up a steep set of stairs and into the hotel lobby, which is quaint and situated off of an outdoor courtyard, which you enter at the top of the stairs. Our room was lovely and off of the main lobby - which was the only difficult thing...too much chatter heard from the lobby.

We dined in the restaurant for breakfast, which was generous and varied, but did cost an extra 15 euros each, which adds up. We didn't eat any other meals there.

After a week on the road to other cities around Portugal we were headed back to Lisbon. We both decided that though the cost was more than we wished to pay - 120 euros a night - it was a very comfortable and lovely hotel. I stayed another night and my husband stayed 3 extra nights on his way to a business trip elsewhere.

Well worth it and we were generously welcomed back! The hotel was full when we called and got the last available room. We were lucky, I think.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

I have to say I am rather bemused by many of the reviews of this hotel. The location is lovely - a really nice, quiet district which feels like living in the real city rather than the tourist centre. A few little shops and cafes dotted about where the locals are very friendly and only a quick taxi ride to the centre.

The hotel itself is set in a beautiful courtyard, you can quite imagine it being a convent as it was originally. The staff were friendly - not gushing but friendly nonetheless - and our room was very nice. It had a little staircase, a small bathroom and quite a large bedroom area. It was not flashy or luxurious in the traditional sense and was not loaded with modcons but it was very attractive and the serenity of the room reflected the history of the building. In short you wouldn't pay a fortune for the room but it suited us perfectly for the weekend and we are generally quite hard to please.

Now the issue of the steps where I am afraid words almost fail me. Who the other reviewers are who moan about the steps I don't know. Are they gargantuan fatties who struggle to walk ten metres without stopping for a rest? Perhaps. All I know is that I went to Lisbon with my heavily pregnant wife during one the final weekends when she was allowed to travel and she did not find the steps in any way problematic. If anything I would say that they are a positive as they add to the sense of seclusion and provide a couple of bench/sitting areas on the way up which were lovely to sit in with a book during the afternoon. If you are less than 20 stone and are capable of movement the steps will not be a problem. Believe me.

Only one downer for me - breakfast was very poor. We had it included in our room rate and while the guy who set up the breakfast in the courtyard was incredibly friendly and polite, the fare on offer was very disappointing given the price tag of the hotel.

Other than that we loved our stay and would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Taos, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

Small room but OK -- just me -- food was fabulous, walking distance to everything, nice service, very QUIET, people helpful, very tranquil -- stayed for 1 week.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

Having stayed at York House in 2007 i couldn't wait to get back.. however it's changed.. and not for the better. The room and the place in general now feels tired and not loved - the staff didn't seem at all interested in making our stay nice (no food available in the restaurant when we arrived in the evening, no one around to order a drink from in the early evening., no 'good mornings' when we arrived to check out.) and the room for part 2 of our stay just simply wasn't up to much (old fashioned, chipped bathroom and a filthy mini-bar fridge) - such a shame as it really has great potential. It felt like we'd found a hidden treausre when we arrived in 2007, but it feels very different in 2009. We won't stay there again, which is a shame, and i won't recommend it to friends.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2010

The steps were monstrous and my cousin and i moved further midtown after one night. Very pretty but isolated.

Stayed October 2009, travelled with family