“Elegant, Stylish and Classy perfect hotel for a romantic weekend”
Review of Britania Hotel

Britania Hotel
Ranked #5 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Stayed here for two nights, art deco architecture, great location right in the heart of the city. Walked everywhere no need for taxis. Breakfast was lovely, the bar and lounge were inviting and comfortable. The room was classic with fine sheets and nice details throughout. All I can say is that I had a great weekend and this hotel was exactly what one would want for the perfect romantic weekend. Definitely value for money. Staff took great care of my girlfriend letting her check in early and go shopping until I arrived.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
2  Thank VincentSanchez
Write a ReviewReviews (2,428)

Reviewed 24 August 2011

Aside from the perfect location in the city centre, this hotel has the best customer service by every standard. I traveled a lot, not only to Europe, but also thoughout North America and there is not one thing that I can thing of that the staff can do differently.
They knew us by nameand went above and beyond ( the doorman offered to mail our post cards on his way home!!).

I would go back to Britania in a second. Rooms are very spacious and clean, location is perfect!!!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank cristina c
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We spent two nights at Hotel Britania following two weeks on a Windstar cruise. My husband had been to Lisbon before and wanted to stay somewhere in the city center. We chose our hotel based on the TripAdvisor reviews. This place was OK, but in no way came close to living up to the hype. Most of the time I wondered if I was staying in the same hotel as all those people who wrote the glowing reviews.

Our room (#25) was spacious and clean, and I liked the Art Deco design. However, sleep was elusive. I'm not sure which was worse: the cheap, hard mattress that not only was extremely uncomfortable but greatly amplified the slightest movement made by my husband, or the thin walls that echoed the noise made by the neighbors and housekeeping staff. I mentioned that our room was noisy to the woman at the front desk, who informed me that there was "nothing she could do." I would have asked her to move us to a quieter room if I thought there was any chance the answer would have been yes.

The bathroom was large with a shower/tub. There were nice bathrobes and Molton Brown toiletries, but no hair conditioner or facial tissue.

The hotel is one street off of the main boulevard. Despite the nearby Louis Vuitton and Escada stores, I didn't feel particularly safe here. There were people sleeping in cardboard boxes across the street from the hotel.

We didn't spring for the 14 euro breakfast. We had originally planned to do so, but by the time breakfast rolled around, I was sorry we had sprung for this hotel and figured the breakfast was probably over-hyped as well. We were offered a complimentary breakfast the day of our arrival though (before our room was ready), after we told the guy at the front desk that we had already eaten.

The free WiFi was great. You have to ask about it though. You have to ask about everything at this hotel. Nobody told us about the complimentary tea and pastries until we asked about it. And then I asked if there was complimentary port as well, since I had read about it on everyone else's reviews. The answer was "yes." So we each had a glass of port at the bar... which showed up on our bill at check-out.

Nobody told us that the box in the closet with a big hole in it, that looks like a safe, actually IS a safe. You have to ask about this, and then check out a lock from the front desk, where you are reminded several times that there is a 75 euro fine if you lose the key. I felt like the woman was trying to dissuade me from checking out the stupid lock.

We were given bad directions twice. We wandered into the lobby of the Sofitel to get help, and the guy at the desk there fell all over himself trying to help us. The same thing later happened at the Avenida Palace. We found ourselves wishing we would have stayed at one of those places. For the same price or less, we probably could have.

12  Thank daisy92008
LASLisboa_Portugal, Owner at Britania Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

We are truly sorry that our hotel did not fulfill your expectations. Regarding your comments on the mattress, we do try to please all our visitors and chose one of the most recommended hotel suppliers.

We do welcome all guests to try our Port wine and Ginginha from the library room, free of charge. However, if you wish to be served and order any drinks from the bar, this will be charged in your bill.
We apologise for any inconvenient caused by our staff. This is a surprise for us as they are one of our most valuable assets and often praised by our clients for their performance. We are very sure they did their best to assist.

We do hope that, in a near future, you can visit us again and find that some of the aspects that you mentioned have been improved and that everything is, this time, in line with your best expectations.

Luis Alves de Sousa

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Very helpful and friendly staff. Great location. Lot's of lovely touches from complementary drinks to Molton Brown toiletries

Reviewed 19 August 2011

As two women friends - of mature years - travelling without our partners, and much in need of spoiling, we couldnt have been happier with our choice of hotel. The Britania sits quietly just off the Avenida Liberdade, offering peace, quiet and old world etiquette and service, all in the most elegant surroundings. Every need was catered for during our stay; nothing too much trouble. The staff were the most helpful and genuinely pleasant we have ever come across. Breakfast was served til noon, afternoon tea and cakes were complimentary and available from 5 til 9, drinks in the small intimate bar were served with great aplomb by lovely bar staff, who created a nice relaxed and welcoming atmosphere.
I have never been remotely tempted to write a hotel review before now - but im confident in this one. Well done Britania, Lisbon

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank KateyL
Reviewed 18 August 2011

A really beautiful Art Deco gem in aquiet are off the Avenida Liberdade. Everything about the place suggests undestated and genuine class. Super rooms, huge comfotable beds and Art Deco bathrooms and furniture. Deliciious breakfasts, complimenatry tea in the library in the afternoon and port in the evening. A really lovely place to be.

Reviewed 18 August 2011

The staff here were SO friendly and the location pretty central. The hotel seems to have been recently refurbished and was all very pleasant and clean. Breakfast buffet good. No negatives at all about this hotel.