Britania Hotel
US$309
US$218
US$191
2,527 results
All reviewsart decocork floorspastriesquiet streetcomplimentary teauntil noonlouis vuittoncomplimentary portmolton brown toiletriesevery afternoonavenida metro stationterrace roommain avenueavenida da liberdaderooms are largeport wineside street
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We blasted to Lisbon for four nights to celebrate Valentine's Day and an 18th Anniversary. Small Art Deco treasure, with outstanding friendly staff, large spacious airy rooms, comfortable bedding, and the perfect location, one block off the Avenida de Liberdade, and 3 minutes walk to the Metro, and access to all the best of Lisbon. Quick walk to Rossio.
We judge hotels on comfort, cleanliness, bedding, location and staff. This hotel hits high on every important (to us) point. Nicely appointed public space, as well as charming room Free wifi, decent breakfast until noon daily, Tea, Port, and Pastries in late afternoon too. Perfect for the seasoned traveler seeking tasteful and unpretentious.
Thanks to a wonderful staff for making our visit to Lisbon even more memorable! Highly reccomend.

2  Thank johnnieb
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights while in Lisbon. We chose the Hotel Britania based on reviews we read in trusty old TripAdvisor.

The hotel is located near plenty of high end shopping stores. Louis Vuitton is literally around the corner. They’ve got Escada, Gucci, and more nearby. We didn’t do any shopping (we move a lot while traveling and pack light), but if that is what you are looking for, then you’ll be happy with this location. I truly don’t know if there are any good restaurants around, as we didn’t see any. We would just grab sandwiches at little cafes along the way of our day’s plans. The metro is conveniently nearby and the train station is within walking distance. We hit some bad weather (rain and wind) so we did take the metro to the train station one time. Public transportation system was easy to use. And the Aerobus (for airport transfer) can drop off/pick up, to/from the hotel. The bus stop is a very short walk from the hotel.

Another thing about the location… There are very old, deserted, dilapidated buildings nearby. It was odd seeing such high-end shopping stores next to some of these buildings. But don’t let this put you off, as the hotel is a hidden jewel.

The hotel itself has a really neat history. It used to be the Hotel Do Imperio and was renovated. They kept a lot of the old, when adding the new, and it works really well. It’s incredibly charming and intimate. We loved it. Honestly it was the best part of Lisbon in our opinion (well after Pena Palace, but hey, that’s a palace). Complimentary tea, pastries, port and sherry is offered every afternoon/night, and for a fair price, you can get a buffet breakfast. I especially love that breakfast is until noon, which for us Americans is great! We like to sleep in. The breakfast is good, but my favorite items were the croissants (I could’ve eaten about a dozen of those if I wanted to be shameless), the coffee, and the sherry. I LOVED the sherry. I forgot to ask what it is called. My favorite part of our day was in the evening when we would have tea and sherry in the den. I don’t know what they call it, but it looks like a den. It’s off of the bar area and has tables, chairs and a few loveseats, a fireplace and books. It’s just so warm and inviting in there. Another really cool spot to see is an old barbershop in the hotel! I guess back in the day, men used to be able to get a shave and cut while staying there. It’s not in use now of course, but it’s cool to see.

The room we had was a sort of throwback to another era, with a modern twist. I loved it. It was an apartment style room with an entryway before you get to the sleeping area. Complimentary coffee and tea was provided and there was a mini-bar with beverages and snacks for purchase. When we had checked-in, a single bed (what we call a king in the US) was not yet available. We were given the option to wait a couple of hours for one, or take a double bed room. We were so tired we took the double bed. It was actually kind of fitting. Because of the style of the hotel, sleeping in a double bed reminded me of an old movie where spouses didn’t share a bed haha. The bathroom had a bidet and great lighting for make-up!! The plumping is old though. It took quite a bit of playing around with the shower knobs to get the temperature right. But this didn’t ruin my stay in any way.

The staff here is just as lovely as the hotel. I absolutely adored the woman who checked us in. But all of them were SO great. Every single person we encountered was wonderful, and management should be very proud of their team. Too bad the rating for service on here only allows for 5 stars, as they deserve 10!

If ever we find ourselves in Lisbon again, I would love to come and stay here. I was just so comfortable here. It’s not the 5 star hotels I’ve stayed in at other places, but it’s got so much history, old time beauty, character, charm, and warm people, that it was just as nice being there.

3  Thank dianadepp
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have to admit, I usually choose ultra modern hotels, so I was slightly apprehensive about the Britania as it was branded as "Art Deco". However, I threw caution to the wind as it was number 1 here on Tripadvisor. It was the best decision ever!

Right from the outset, it was apparent that the staff make this place. Every single person we met had a big smile on their face, it was a real pleasure chatting with them. They were courteous and helpful. One of the ladies on reception even organised for some fantastic Portuguese sparkling wine, pastries and candles for the room as she found out it was my birthday. Such a wonderful touch!

We stayed in a standard room and were surprised at how spacious it was. Usually City centre hotels are a third of the size of this room. Okay, the view was not particularly great (office block view!), but we've stayed in 5 star hotels in other European cities with a similar view. Anyway, the room was so tastefully decorated (and the weather outside so rainy) that you wanted to just admire the room itself.

We both said that the bed was one of the most comfortable we've slept on, with some fantastically soft white linen. There were also lovely Molton Brown toiletries making it a home away from home!

Another perk of the hotel is their afternoon tea, which we made sure we visited every day. They have a lovely selection of miniature pastries, tea, port and Ginja (perhaps an acquired taste, we felt it tasted like bubblegum!). They had a games table so we could play a few games of backgammon whilst relaxing after a day of walking around Lisbon!

Finally, location wise, it's fairly decent. I was a bit concerned before we left that it wasn't that close to the "action", however we found it really easy to walk to the Baixa/Chiado area; if you fancy going out for dinner in Barrio Alto, we found getting the Elevador Santa Justa was a quick way to get up the hill without too much effort! As a result, I ended up being not so concerned about the location.

All in all, I'd highly recommend this very tasteful, friendly hotel!

5  Thank Paula H
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The service in this hotel is exceptional and definitely 5-stars.
While the rooms were pretty good (they were big and nice, but the mattress was not comfortable, slept on one of the twin beds and not on a double bed, so not sure what's the case for double beds), the service was extraordinary and really exceptional.

Afternoon tea was a delight and really nice-to-have. The breakfast was also very nice, though a bit on the pricey side.

Location is fair enough and close to the metro station and a short walk from the old town.

Overall, great hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
HeritageLisbon, General Manager at Britania Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are delighted to read that you appreciated our service which is something we are continuously working on.
We are very sorry that you didn’t find our twin beds comfortable. Although the mattresses are medium firm in order to please the majority of our guests, we have the possibility of making them softer or firmer according to the guest’s desire. That also makes part of our tailored service.
Thank you once more and we are looking forward to welcoming you again to the Britania Hotel.
Yours sincerely,
Diogo Laranjo

Reviewed 28 January 2014

The rooms and beds are enormous. Very close to downtown and metro stations. Staff were delightfully helpful, especially Raquel, with restaurant and site recommendations. Even locating a hairdresser!. Breakfasts are terrific. Beautiful art deco original building with a fascinating history.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple