“Elegant and peaceful”

Britania Hotel
Ranked #5 of 253 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We spent only one night at this lovely hotel (and two nights a week later at its sister hotel, Heritage Avenida Liberdade) and were sorry we couldn't have stayed longer. From the charming and helpful front desk staff to the period decor, the whole experience was restful, pleasant, and luxurious. The sheets were so comfy, and the curtains made the room really dark at night. Of the three hotels we stayed in while in Portugal, this one had the best breakfast (the croissants were especially good), but I'm not sure that breakfast is the country's most interesting meal. There was certainly plenty to choose from: breads, cheeses, eggs, cereals, fruit, and so forth. The location, while not on a scenic street, is only a block from Avenida Liberdade and very central to the historic parts of Lisbon -- an easy if hilly walk to the main squares and to the Bairro Alto, Alfama, and Chiado districts. We would definitely stay here again. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ElandTi
There are newer reviews for Britania Hotel

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was my fourth trip to Lisbon and the Britania is, by far, the best hotel that I've stayed in in that city. The bedrooms and bathrooms are large and very comfortable with some of the trimmings, dressing gowns and slippers, of a five star hotel. I read someone's comments that the walls are thin and the air conditioning noisy which is the complete opposite of my experience. I suffered very little internal or external noise during my stay (and I sleep with the windows open) and the air conditioning was the quietest and most effective that I've come across in over 1200 room nights!
I received complimentary breakfasts as part of my room rate and, while not exceptional, there was a good selection and the very pleasant dining room staff were always prepared to make me fresh eggs. Incredibly, they'll happily serve breakfast up until midday! Speaking of the staff, what a nice group of people; from the front desk to the room cleaners I was always made to feel welcome and special. I do have to single out Marco, one of the concierges, who was helpfulness personified.
Rua Rodrigues Sampaio is not the nicest looking street in the city but it's generally quiet and only about 50 metres from Avenida Liberdade and the metro station there and, from my perspective, that makes it just about ideally situated.
I'm not a huge fan of the art deco style, it's simply not to my taste, but the only reason that I won't be staying at this wonderful boutique hotel the next time that I'm in Lisbon is because there are four other hotels in the Heritage group in the city and I'd love to try them all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel.has it all.Position,service,decor,good breakfast and spotless rooms.The art deco styled hotel has been tastefully decorated in keeping with the building it's great.If one of you is over 55 you can get the golden oldies deal which includes free breakfast.We found the location central to all transport and restaurants and shops.The price makes it excellant value and it's no surprise that it rates so highlyon trip advisor.
Greg Cronan.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gregcronan C
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here for the first night of our holiday and then a couple of nights later as part of a week spent in Portugal combining city and beach.
The hotel is quirky and there are lots of period details, very Poirot-esq feel to it. Rooms and bathrooms were very generous size and it did feel like a luxury hotel (which you would expect for the stars and price!). However, the walls are thin and you could hear normal conversations from the rooms above - woke me at 5.30am one day, so not appreciated! Air-con in the room made a noise but didn't seem to cool very well.
Reception staff were just average - I certainly didn't see this amazingly friendly service which others have mentioned.
Also, when we came back after a day sight seeing at 3.30pm our room had not yet been cleaned. When I phoned reception to tell them they said it was because they were fully booked and that sometimes rooms didn't get done until 4.30pm. Not good enough in my opinion for a hotel of this quality.
Breakfast was excellent, very high quality products and good choice.
Overall, I would stay that it didn't live up to the rave reviews here and if I were to visit Lisbon again I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Olivia667788
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

If you want to be in the city and within walking distance of the Metro, the station and real local Portuguese cafes and restaurants you can't do better. We walked the 10 minutes to Estacao do Rossio to get the train to Sintra and 15 minutes to the Cais do Sodre station near the water to get to Cascais. Walking gives you plenty to see and you don't need to worry about pickpockets on transport systems. The hotel has first class staff who speak several languages fluently and will do anything to help with a smile. Beautiful art deco style, large rooms, free Internet, a place to print your tickets, good breakfast air conditioning and comfortable beds. We had a half day walking tour organized and that was an excellent start to finding our way around.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gerri S
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel definitely gets it all right ! Rooms are spacious,( we choose the deluxe room) well air conditioned, beautifully decorated and the port decanter is filled daily which is a very nice touch. The beds are extremely comfortable. The staff are friendly and extremely courteous. It's location is perfect for exploring Lisbon and they'll have plenty of helpful hints for you with respect to touring, restaurants etc, etc. Breakfast is excellent with cereals, fresh fruit, eggs etc. Tea or port with sweets are served at the end of the day/ early evening and are complementary. Many hotels can learn from them!! I recommend this hotel without any reservations whatsoever.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I agree with previous post, and say no wonder this is number1, I saw this rating and was a bit sceptical but booked it, no fears, this hotel is fabulous, 50 yards from the Avenide de Liberdade but very quiet, lovely entrance with a very friendly and helpful man who took our cases to the lift.Reception was quick and easy with a lovely girl who tokd ys about complimentary tea and coffee in the afternoon, our room (32) a twin bedded room as we had asked was lovely, large, quiet, the beds were enormous with beautiful linens, excellent bathroom with Molten Brown toiletries, a wonderful nights sleep, the breakfast was fantastic with everything you could ask for, china teapots to make tea in and not a dreadful toaster in sight - you ask the staff who go and make it for you.It was a 10 minute walk to the Rossio station for trips to Sintra. We had 2 nights there 1 at the beginning of our hols and 1 at the end, when we returned the man at reception remembered us and the fact we had stayed with our family, lovely, our second night, no twin beds available but a King size again very comfortable, we booked this hotel through Travel Republic couldnt believe what we got for the price we paid, we will definately be booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 32 - twin bedded and room 16 King size bed all tbe rooms are quiet, hotel on a qui...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family