“Home from home ...but better!”
Review of Britania Hotel

Britania Hotel
Ranked #2 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersGold level
Manningtree, United Kingdom
“Home from home ...but better!”
Reviewed 22 August 2009

After reading the reviews we were really looking forward to staying in this beautiful hotel . Like so many others, we were not disappointed. The room was spotless, tranquil and spacious, the breakfast (which finishes at 12 noon!) delicious and the staff amazing. They are what make this hotel so special. Nothing is too much trouble for them to help yuo with and it is done with a courteous, old fashioned charm.
Julio answered our many questions with detailed information and advice. To return back to the hotel with a polite "welcome back" and genuine smile from Jefferson was a delight. Pedro and Raquel were equally helpful and informative.
The hotel wonderful to return to after ahot day sight seeing. The offer of a cool drink as soon as we walked in was just one of the many ways the staff made us feel special.
This hotel is truly a great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis MN
Reviewed 20 August 2009

This is a lovely property and we loved it. The staff were so responsive to our needs and really enhanced our visit to Lisbon. The location is great, right off the Avenue de Libertade, and there is a great and reasonable restaurant right down the street, Chutneys. The breakfast, while it was not included in our stay, was very good.

• Stayed August 2009
Wiltshire
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Stayed for three nights with girlfriend during heatwave.

We do a lot of short breaks in European cities and usually stay in hotels at about this price range.

I think the Britania is the best we've ever found.

Spotlessly clean, very friendly, perfect position walking distance from the heart of city, but in a quiet street (and yards from the Airport bus stop!).

Room unusually large and simply though nicely decorated. Very good air conditioning for which we were very grateful.

Breakfast good by European mainland standards (why can't they do breakfast like the English though?!!).

No restaurant but we don't generally eat in the hotel anyway.

Weather was too hot to do as much walking round Lisbon as we'd intended so we'll be going back - and DEFINITELY staying at the same hotel!

Wales
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Wow what an amazing place, completely made our honeymoon. We stayed here 5 nights and could have stayed 50 more !! Where to start ? The building itself is impressive with a roomy reception and bar area, and impressive decor.
Staff are extremely helpful, courteous and efficient. Thanks to reception staff who told su about the free James Morrison concert in Belem when we checked in, we had a fantastic time in the front row.
The room we had on the first floor was out of this world, lovely bed, furnishings beautiful but not pretentious,well equipped. Honeymoon champagne package prepared by the super courteous Jefferson made us feel like we had just got married (not 8 months ago!). He makes a superb cocktail "Imperial" too and his G&T's are a work of art ! Barbershop is a great feature, ask for the key and they will willingly show you this preserved part of the old hotel. Having breakfast in the dining room is great looking at the old photos of the hotel from years ago. There are masses of books if you fancy a bit of light reading, some guide books too. Location great for metro at Avenida, and my wife loved walking past Louis Vuitton every day...!
Can't wait to go back.... as soon as we can !

roblod6513
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Just recently stayed in the Britania for five nights and I loved it. The hotel has a level of service which has an old world type of feel to it that you see in the movies, including gracious doormen, friendly people at reception, and complementary pastries /tea/ coffee and port wine served in the lounge.The rooms are spacious and well decorated and the location puts many attractions and places to eat(try chutneys it's great) within walking distance. The breakfast buffet is excellent.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roblod6513
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I have to say that I had high expectations of the Hotel Britannia... it was the one hotel on our trip that I just felt would be a sure fire hit. The articulate reviews and so forth had me very excited, and I could not wait to arrive.

Honestly, with expectations like that, you are usually in for a letdown, because there's not much room UPWARD one can go... but let me tell you, this place and the staff exceeded my every expectation! I was genuinely surprised by how wonderful the room was... from the bathroom, to the wonderful bed, to the interior design elements, to the elevated platform that leads to the terrace/balcony, and the awesome doors that open onto the terrace to make the bedroom and terrace ONE BIG seamless ROOM. Literally, the entire wall facing outside is made up of floor to ceiling glass windows/doors that can be opened up completely to make for a unique lounging experience.

And the bed was sooooo sooooo comfortable. Our room was a "double" (room 64), and the bed was not the typical "two twins pushed together" feel that is common in Europe. It felt luxurious.

Likewise, as others have stated, the complimentary port wine was a lovely plus.

And, finally, the staff was simply wonderful... very helpful and genuinely caring. Our luggage never made it from Ibiza to Portugal, but when the night staffer called our room at 1:30am to let us know it had arrived (on our 2nd day), he looked so happy for us as I ran down to get our long lost baggage.

Long story short, I have trouble imagining how you could go wrong staying at Hotel Britannia... it's pure bliss.

2 Thank Demosthenes1971
Edam
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Situated between Marques De Pombal and the old center of Lisboa this is one of the best places we have been. The hotel, the rooms, the enormous beds, the hall and corridors with great art deco furniture and decoration brings luxury and old fashioned service. Two examples of their excellent service: 1. It was impossible for me to get in a private institution to do some research in their library, I was briskly refused and could not get in contact with the right persons. I ask the lady at desk of the hotel (who speaks superb English) if she could help. Within 12 hours I had an appointment. Example 2: The garage was full and my rented car (VW Polo) was left nearby the hotel. In middle of the night the car was damaged by an unknown incident. I had no extra insurance and would normally have to pay 600 Euro. Even before breakfast (we were still asleep) the hotel had arranged that my own risk was reduced to 300 Euro. I had to pay that at the airport, which I did. Today (I hardly could believe it) I found out that 300 Euro was transferred by the hotel to my bank account. The hotel just took care of it. Incredible, service at the highest level in my opinion.
Dik and Cis