“Sublime stay in an amazing hotel”
Review of Britania Hotel

Britania Hotel
Ranked #5 of 254 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We stayed 2 weeks in the Algarve area and phoned the hotel asking for a room. We are a family of 4, 2 adults and two kids aged 4 and 7. From the start The Britania was top notch. There was no problem about the small kid sharing the bed with the parents and adding an extra bed for the 7 year old.
We stayed in a superior room, and superior it was!! The room was extremely well decorated in line with the original design. Very thorough renovation with respect for the original design. TV set was out of place in this 1940ish time pocket but much in line, the DVD you could get at the reseption was black and whites like Casablanca!
The staff was simply amazing. The restaurent recomendations spot on for us. There was a sort of informal but excellent and quiet service.
There simply is nothing negative I can say, try it, it IS worth it!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Britania Hotel

Reviewed 27 July 2010

The hotel is a block off the beaten path which allows for a safe and quiet stay yet only a block from all the action. Our family was warmly greeted by the door and front desk staff, traveling with 8 & 9 year old boys we found European reception a bit cool so we were pleasantly surprised. We booked two rooms realizing that most EU rooms are a bit on the small side - as soon as they saw we were a family they relocated us to adjoining rooms which ended up larger than most suites we have stayed in.

The rooms were so nice, spacious and comfy that we actually canceled our plans and stayed in our room in our bathrobes.

English was no problem here and the front desk staff gave many helpful recommendations on where to go and how to get around.

We would not consider staying anywhere else in Lisbon.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I stayed for a week for a conference in Lisbon. This is a great hotel, the rooms are very ncie, the stuff is excellent and nice, and the location on a quiet street in central location make it a good deal. However, I do have a big one BUT that made me upset this second time I stayed in this hotel. The first time I took a superior room, the second time I asked few times what the difference between superior and standard because I was more money caution than the first time. The stuff kept telling me there is a big difference in room size. However, my friends stayed in Standard this time and the room was the same. When I approached the hotle stuff about this, they insisted there is a bid difference in size and they even went to check the room sizes for me, well my superior room was 25 sqm and the standrad room of my friends was 23 sqm. For this difference if they would have told me I wouldn't pay the premium for a superior. The attitude on this thing made me quite upset to the level that I doubt if I would return to this hotel despite its great other pluses

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2010

We began a 3 week Portugal holiday with 4 nights here. It is every bit as good as advertised. Location is great (and quiet). Right by a Metro station or a reasonable walk to city center. Great character and ambience (a trip back to the 1940's). The service is excellent (in many languages). Great restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2010

All 5 star reviews are "spot on". What a great place to stay. The lobby , bar and restaurant area are gorgeous and full of historical memorabilia. The breakfast buffet is superb--they even have the famous custard pies, fantastic fresh fruit, etc.(And the coffee is excellent as well). The rooms are large and comfortable. For 213 euros we had the "superior room" . When we got back from dinner we had a crystal decanter full of port wine with 2 glasses compliments of the management waiting in our room---how special is that?
Everyone raves about the staff with good reason--a great group of people who seem proud to work in a place this special.
If we are ever lucky enough to go to Lisbon again, we will reserve the Britania instantly!! Loved every minute!!!

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2010

A lovingly-preserved and intimate 1940s hotel with art deco features in rooms and public areas. Bedrooms are spacious and very comfortable, with great bathrooms (we booked a superior room, so did not see the standard rooms). Sumptuous breakfast in bar / lounge area with discreetly attentive staff. All staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful (unlike a few of the staff we encountered in bars, restaurants and museums in the city!) Close to Avenida Metro, a modern efficient system with easy links to all areas (buy a day pass for 3.50 euros - covers buses and trams). There are no outside areas in the hotel, but the reception and bar are airy and cool. Could do with a larger room fridge to keep your own water, etc (full of the usual min-bar stuff), but they do leave you some free port!

We ate out at a great fish restaurant down the road - Solar dos Presuntos - and reception were really helpful in booking this and making other suggestions.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2010

You know how sometimes when you read the reviews--even on TripAdvisor--and you actually visit, you ask: what was the review describing? Well, no worries about Britania. The reviews are spot on. This is a great hotel.

Its most outstanding trait is the staff. It is almost as if the Hotel gave each one a psychological test to determine who would make a good staff member and then they added up the points and hired the best: the staff really seem eager to serve and help.

I had some quibbles. The room was not ready when we checked in at 10 am. My wife and I got invited to breakfast to wait for the room to be readied.

We told them that we were looking for the suite because we were celebrating our wedding anniversary but the receptionist said the sole suite was booked up. Instead, she upgraded us to the larger corner room and the owner sent up a bottle of champagne.

Now those two episodes are examples of service recovery.

Other reviews mentioning location (yes, just a few minutes from the Avenida redline Metro stop), the quietness, the Moulton Brown toiletries and the spacious rooms are true. In fact, my minor quibble would be the heavy front door. It is a quibble because I had a frozen shoulder then, so it was heavy door for me.

Having said all that, it may not be a hotel for everyone. It is a heritage hotel. Which means it is not modern. The lift door, for example, needs to be manually opened. The sink is not a flat double-bowl type. There is no energy-saving card switch. The key is a metallic key attached to a ball the size of a billiard ball.

But you can bet that I will try to book this hotel the next time I am in Lisbon.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Panguin
LASLisboa_Portugal, Owner at Britania Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2010

We would like to thank you, both in my name and in that of our staff, for the comments that you have kindly made. And, at this time, we thought you might like to know that, although, in line with the our hotel’s epoch and because it is a classified historic building, we have kept the metal door keys to our rooms, we do have a very modern and efficient energy-saving system: the electricity is shut down once the key is hung on the Receptions’s key board. Energy saving has always been one of our major concerns: for instance, in 1986, our hotel was the first hotel in Portugal to have a pioneering water heating solar system (solar roof carpet) which is still in perfect condition and use.
Thanking you once again for your comments and concern we look forward to the pleasure of having you with us again soon.
Yours truly,