“very good hotel”

Ranked #156 of 251 Hotels in Lisbon
London, United Kingdom
“very good hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

stayed in this hotel for business and loved it! Situated in a very calm area but only short distance away from all the important Lisbon sites. Hotel has a nice spacious lobby and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful! Rooms are nice and spacious, bathrooms are luxurious and clean.
dining / breakfast room has a very nice style: good food for very reasonable price.
Lisbon is a good city to be: not to crowdie, friendly people, good public transport and cheap taxies. Lisbon has great restaurants with superb fish dishes. Will go back soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Finnish first
Cape Town is home
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I spent 6 nights there last week. What a great place! As soon as you walk in you feel the hospitality and the style.

All of the staff members with whom I interacted were charming, gracious and helpful. My room was spacious, quiet as it overlooked a courtyard, and spotlessly clean. The bathroom had a proper full size bath with abundant hot water and a shower with decent pressure. The quality of the bathroom fittings is superb, and there is plenty of shelf and floor space. The design is a little unusual but nothing to cause a problem.

I had dinner in the restaurant one night, I was the only person there, and found it excellent, with a small but interesting selection of options. A bit expensive if you opt to pay the full price (they allow you to choose your price within a specific range, typically €10-20 for a main course), so my meal cost me about €50, for two courses and a generous glass of an excellent local red wine.

Another evening I had room service as the restaurant was closed to a private function. I enjoyed the breakfasts too, a good selection of fruits, smoked meat, and rolls and jam, served at your table and not a buffet.

A very minor niggle, most of the time I was there the in-room wifi didn't work properly, but they gave me a router in my room which solved the problem.

Most definitely a city to go back to for many reasons, and the Da Estrela will be my choice of hotel. For the quality it's outstanding value. It's close to shops and restaurants, about 20 minutes walk to the 'Marques de Pombal' area which could be considered the 'centre' of Lisbon, but taxis are cheap and there are buses.

My thanks to all those who made my stay so pleasant. A lovely team of people. Muito obrigado!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had a lovely stay in this hotel over a long weekend. We were very lucky to be upgraded into a suite, which is always nice to start off with.

A quiet area of Lisbon, close to a Metro station.

Staff very friendly, clean and spacious room. Nice breakfast and dinner in the restaurant too.

Enjoyed the school theme as well. All in all a very nice small hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip to Lisbon. The rooms were very modern and comfortable. The front desk was extremely helpful in providing me with directions to my various business meetings. They always seemed to have time for me and I very much appreciated that.

After having lived in Lisbon over 20 years ago and having walked the same streets for almost two years. It was nice to see that the city had retained much of its history and charm.

If you want to have an authentic experience in Lisbon, versus the traditional touristy approach this hotel will place you right in the middle of historic Lisbon. Although many of the main tourist attractions are not within easy walking distance, this will be a perfect location for anyone looking to have a more quiet experience away from the hustle and bustle. Regardless, it is a short taxi ride or transit ride to the major tourist centers.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone needing a place to stay for a few nights in Lisbon.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Mark H
Brasil
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My experience was okay.
But, I did have some trouble with the bathroom.
At my first room, it was odd: two darkened glass areas (one with the shower and the others e with the toilet). At the first sight it look interesting but it wasn't functional at all. The water from the shower wet all the carpet's room and when I called the reception they said that yes, they did have a watering problem, I would have to sleep with the wet carpet (it wouldn't get dry), and there was no one who could bring me towel to help. So it was nasty to walk in your room listening and feeling the water (ploft ploft). I asked for another room, which wasn't available at the same day.The staff did manage to find me another one at the day after. What I don't understand is that if they knew about the problem why did they put guest there? To make money not thinking about comfort and satisfaction?
And, wifi service wasn't easy: their networking just doesn't work with apple products. Bizarre! They didn't know why, but it was true! Oh, and you only would get wifi if they have the cable available. (Two in total for the whole hotel!!)
Anyway, the staff were polite and helpful but I am not sure if I would stay there again. Maybe yes but it wouldn't be my first option

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a "normal" bathroom, not the one with shower and toilet IN the room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I'm pretty happy with my experience at Estrela. It is very easy to get to from the airport and is located in a good neighbourhood (30 minute downhill walk to the main center, but a lot of nice shops and views along the way). While it is definitely removed from the main tourist area, it is close to local hang outs. Of which, The Market (good food and excellent vibe) and Stop do Bairro are two great places-the food at Stop was awesome (smokers are allowed in the restau so not for all). The staff at the hotel couldn't be more helpful...printing us maps, offering solid recommendations, making reservations for us etc. The rooms are a little different...perhaps just mine, but the glass partitions for the shower and toilet makes things a little interesting for a couple - picture one large room with two darkened glass areas, one with the shower and the other with the toilet. Breakfast on Saturday was good when eggs and pastries were on offer. Sunday was a different story and left a lot to be desired. No eggs, no pastries and half the fruit. Overall excellent experience in Lisbon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jay D
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I think, I stayed here at the same time as Mrs-October! And I, of course, have a different experience. Although this Hotel has a school theme (see website) it has a most child unfriendly attitude. Massive, Massive, big box ticked!!

No, really! great for business people, couples or independent travellers (not a RUGRAT to be seen) YIPPEE!
Room massive, bed awesome (you won't find better) bathroom epic!! Oh dear!.... one or two problems!...You can't lie in bed and switch lights on/off...unless you have arms of minimum 2m!

Shower...awesome...BUT...there is a towel rack??????? in the shower that protrudes 20cm from the wall and 1.82 m from the floor...now come on!... behave! I... don't take a measure in the shower!..no really I DON'T!! I'm just thinking of you tall, American, Dutch, German friends that might lose an eye or tooth whilst thrashing about in the shower!!....

Ah! Hem!... swiftly on!...I found the Hotel clean, safe, honest, and engaging. The last time I was in Lisbon I stayed at LX Boutique another similar and fabulous Hotel.

I think, in any business whether you like it or not, the staff and people make the difference, and for that reason I will give this hotel maximum points!!...

I also ate in the en-site restaurant EL CANTINA (see review)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business