“Great location, skip breakfas!”

Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade
Ranked #45 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 December 2011

The Sofitel has a wonderful location, which was the reason I booked in there, taking advantage of the cost savings with an early prepayment rate.

I had opted out of breakfast, but when some friends had brekfast one morning, we joined them. Sadly the continental breakfast did not include fruit or yogurt so we paid for the full buffet to have what we wanted. Unfortunately, they hotel ran out of the lovely Belem pastries although the brekfast was to be served for two more hours.

We were also very disappointed in the coffee. A pot of French Press coffee was placed on the table, but it was served rather cool. I even asked for more hot milk to put in the coffee, but it too was not hot.

Lesson: Enjoy the pre-booking discounted rate and the (small) clean well furnished room, but go elsewhere for breakfast!

1  Thank Primascopy

Reviewed 21 December 2011

The hotel has a very nice location. Its situated on Avenida Lberdade, an expansive street filled with shops, benches and trees. Its a square away from Rossio, two squares away from Comercio and down the hill from Chiado/ Barrio Alto. Its very close to the metro, the centre and across the street to one of the hop on/hop off tour buses. The hotel is a small boutique hotel and has a bar and restaurant. The staff speaks a variety of different languages and they are very attentive.

I chose to upgrade to the superior room and I'm glad I did. Pacing the floors in the middle of the night while I battle an 8 hour time difference was much more comfortable in a larger room. I found my room to be pretty clean, but not completely spotless. The bed was very comfortable and the room had plenty of floor length mirrors (4 to be exact). Some reviews commented that the street views came with alot of noise. There is some noise, but nothing too bad. I heard noise on the morning I arrived because of a running marathon (9am ish) and nothing since... actually until just now (and its 2 am). Again, battling an 8 hour time difference. If this sort of thing bothers you, I would recommend a room facing the courtyard.

The food at the restaurant is OK but I would recommend going elsewhere to eat if you're looking to save money. A continental breakfast will cost you 17 euro. As you may read from other reviews, there is a cafe literally next door that chargers 3.50 for a croissant and a hot chocolate(oo, the noise just stopped :) Also, there are plenty of restaurants if you walk 5-10 min towards Rossio where there are a number of people begging for you to eat at their restaurant.

All in all I would stay here again. I loved the little things like the welcome dessert, chocolates on my pillow every night and a free bottle of water every day. Plus, the location is great. Just far enough from the hustle and bustle but close enough that everything is a 15 min walk away.

Room Tip: choose a superior. Courtyard view if alot of noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelbuglove83
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We had a really small room, and it smelled stuffy and unventilated. We opened the window, but the window handle was hanging loose on one side. The bedside reading lamp was hanging down and impossible to fix. The toilet water was running continuously and had even left a brown stain on the white toilet.
The staff is nice and pleasant, as expected. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was OK, but for 17 Euros each we would have liked more variety and a table without crumbles.

1  Thank JetArtist
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This hotel was quite OK. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The property is clean, updated and in a prime location. Our room was a bit too small, no place to put the luggage, one person in the bathroom at a time, no closet to speak of. A tour group was either checking in or out and shut the whole lobby down for 1/2 of the day.

1  Thank OVS
Reviewed 18 December 2011

The location is great, and the rooms are tidy. Soundproofing is poor, you can hear everything from the next door. Breakfast is good, but I think it´s strange that you have to pay extra for bacon & eggs, pancakes, etc. in a Sofitel hotel! All the other Sofitels I´ve been to, these have been included in the price. But not here. Well, not a problem for me, I´m not a fan of warm dishes in the morning anyway, there´s everything else to eat anyway (bread, pastries, cereal, youghurt, fruit, juices, tea, coffee + normal jam and honey, of course etc.).

One thing that was strange also, was that when we arrived (we had booked a double room) and were given the room keycards and went up, the room was a single room. Well, we went back downstrairs and got an upgrade to a double room which was bigger and in the highest floor. So for us, it turned out good, but what if the hotel would have been fully booked...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Nice cosy rooms, lovely bathroom, nice views of Lisboa hills.

Breakfast ok not great. Not enough choice on the menu.

Location brilliant. Very central and easy to walk to most places.

Metro right outside hotel and loads of places to eat near by.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I generally stay at Sofitel hotels when I visit a city where there is one. I stayed at this property in November for one night and it was certainly not up to the standard of other hotels in this chain. The location is really nice and convenient. However, the room I stayed in at this hotel was tiny with hardly any place to move around. The same was true for the bathroom which was completely cramped. And this was presumably an upgraded room as I am an a-club platinum member. In addition, there was hardly any natural light entering my room as it had a tiny window on some sort of internal shaft or courtyard and there was a bad smell. Finally, the service was a bit hit-and-miss and certainly not impeccable, requiring me to follow up on requests on more than one occasion. One example of a small annoyance was that although room service at Sofitel hotels generally restocks the little free bottles of water that are offered every evening, this did not happen at this hotel and when I called the reception to send up some more bottles, they sent up room service with a EUR 15,- bottle of water. Also, the internet went down for a couple of hours when I stayed at the hotel and the concierge did not reply to an email request during my stay. In short, my experience at this hotel was certainly not a 5* experience (more like 3*).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business