“great location, greater staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade
Ranked #37 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“great location, greater staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2009

I changed my mind the minute landed in Lisbon from staying in a hotel outskirt to someone in the city center. Turned out to be a great decision. I booked this hotel from the airport by calling them. I was told they didn't have the room type I was looking for, but they will change it for me the 2nd day. When we got to the hotel (around 7am in the morning), Jorge, the front desk guy, told us he was expecting us and would try to find the room we need in a couple hours, then we wouldn't need to switch the room later. No problem for us. We went out for breakfast and when we got back, everything was ready.
The room is big enough in European standard, very clean and cozy. It's by a major street. So it's not 100% quiet. But it's never been a distraction.
I can't say enough about this guy, Jorge. He is just so nice and helpful. He gave me a lot of advice on restaurants and tourist spots. He made me feel so comfortable as a first timer to Lisbon and knowing only 2 words of Portuguese. Look for Jorge if you will stay in Sofitel Lisbon.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank EWest7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

Like previous reviewers our group of 8 found the hotel very well located and beautifully appointed. The beds were so comfortable it was difficult to get up in the mornings, the bathrooms are luxurious and even the standard rooms came with bathrobes, slippers and luxury toiletries. The staff are extremely helpful and the decor in both the bedrooms and public rooms very elegant. The one downside (as others have mentioned) is the price of the breakfast. I searched the net and could not find a deal which included breakfast. However, a couple of blocks up the Avenue is L'Ipanema which serves superb food all day - all at a few euros.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barbara02
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

I can only echo all of the other positive reviews. I received a great rate (pre-paid and non-refundable through Venere) of 105 Euros per night. Granted, I'm sure I had the smallest room in the hotel, but I was only there to sleep and shower; Lisbon is an absolutely great city to explore and have fun and it's a shame to waste your time in a hotel.

The location is perfect, 10 minutes to Bairro Alto (use the elevator), 15 minutes to Baixa, short cab to Alfama or 20 minute walk. Plenty of restaurants close to the hotel or throughout the city.

The staff was pleasant, efficient, etc. An American tourist complaining about a tour slowed down my late arrival, but a couple of sighs from me and the desk staff found another person to get me checked in. They were all helpful whenever I had a question about tourist sites, getting around, restaurants, etc.

My room was on the opposite side of the hotel from Av. Liberdade, note that it's more residential, but garbage trucks do work the streets in the early morning. Overall, the room was great, comfy bed, dark shades, workable desk with a nice view, etc. The rooms could do better with someplace to put your suitcase, other than the only sitting space in the room. That was really the only negative.

The restaurant is a nice change from the standard sardinhas and bacalhau found in almost every single other restaurant in the city. Do try and eat at the combo "Indian and Italian Cuisine" restaurant in Bairro Alto, it's got to be interesting.

Overall, I hope to stay there again and will recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank DJ
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2009

I don't quite know what it was but I slept like a baby in this bed in Sofitel Liberdade. I chose it because of the good rate (it did pay of to search good rates on the net...) and great location. It is near to just about everything I wanted to see and altogether the stay was a real pleasure: helpful staff, great service and, again, location, location, location. The only thing I did not do was the breakfast: at 17 euro, I thought it was too much and Lisbon being Lisbon, 50 m up the street there was a great little pasteleria with excellent breakfast for not even the half of the price. Anyway: Sofitel is a great place and I am sure I will go back as soon as I can muster a reason to go back to Lisbon.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sasch
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

My husband was invited to a conference at the Univ. of Lisbon and I checked the internet for hotels which were conveniently located for me to sightsee and him to get back and forth. This was one which seemed great and I was surprised to see that the prices on different internet sights varied by 200%, so it is worth doing a little research. Lovely room with modern and classy furnishings, quiet, even though we were on streetside. The bath was very luxurious and we were provided bathrobes, slippers and nice toiletries. My husband especially appreciated the Baci chocolates left every evening by the housekeepers. The desk staff were professional and it was really no trouble to use the computers in the business center in lobby to check e-mail. Our room did not include breakfast and we also thought E17 was too much for breakfast, so ate at small neighborhood cafes for about E3-4 for breakfast. My one complaint would probably be that there is no real dresser or space to put clothing other than hanging clothing. As we spent five nights in the hotel, even a couple of drawers under the bedside tables would be helpful to store things. Otherwise, great location and very nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Reets7
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2009

As other reviewers have mentioned here, I think the location of the hotel was perfect for exploring Lisbon. The hotel is on Avenida da Liberdade, one of the main streets of Lisbon with many shops and cafés, and the street itself is quite beautiful with the tree lined promenade running in the middle of the street. Moreover, after a 5-minute walk from hotel, you get to the Praça dos restauradores, and from there, it is a few more minutes of walk to the Rossio, and further down, to the Praça do Comércio. Also, the metro stop (station Avenida) is literally right across from the hotel, located in the tree-liend promenade, although at first I didn't notice the stop despite the M sign on top. At the metro stop you can buy a day pass (I think it was around 4€) that you can use on metros, buses, funiculars, and elevators.

Besides the good location, the hotel was modern, my room was comfortable, and the toiletries provided were from Hermès, although my room was not very big. Also a bottle of water is provided everyday. On my first night, I ordered a room service, as I was too tired to go out to a restaurant, and it was delivered promptly, and the Portuguese main dish that I chose was delicious. The breakfast buffet was adequate, and I especially liked trying out the few Portuguese pastries in the buffet, but it only included cold items, and hot items were a la carte. If you don't want to eat the breakfast at the hotel, there are many pastelerías along the avenue where you can probably get coffee and a pastry under 5€.

If I go back to Lisbon, which I hope to do as I was completely charmed by the city, I would stay at the Sofitel again.

Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank somanycontradictions
Baxenden, Lancs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2009

We chose the Sofitel for our first visit to lisbon and what a great choice we made. The hotel is ideally located just a short pleasant walk from the main square. The hotel staff are very pleasant, helpful and willing to assist. The bedrooms are nice and are well equiped. The beds are the most comfortable we have slept in. The restaurant is excellent for an evening meal, if a little expensive. We did not have breakfast in the hotel as we thought 17 euros a bit pricey, we found a little cafe 3 or 4 blocks down the road (same side) that was very good and cheap. The bar and reading area are very nice and the staff again are ready to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We will certainly go back to Lisbon as it is a lovely, welcoming city and would certainly stop at the Sofitel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple